Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Merlox

Any one Planning to stick with Kitakaze over the Harugumo?

19 comments in this topic

[SIDE]
Members
794 posts
4,266 battles

Main question is what are you sacrificing upgrading from Kitakaze to the Hauguma and is it worth it?

Reading with the recent changes. it appears that the Kitakaze is pretty much the Super Akizuki that every one wanted. It's faster, ruddershift is better, concealment is better, Has them great Shima Torps, and has access to the next modules. 

Upgrading to the Harugumo gives you an extra gun which is good, 20% increase in DPS, and you gain 5k HP. but you are sacrificing so much to gain that extra gun. You're slower than the Kitakaze, the turning is worst than the Akizuki by an extra 100m. (That's an 830m turning for a DD.), the concealment is worst than the Akizuki. You're also a much larger target, also last but not least you're a tier higher. Which means the enemy team is going to get paired up with another tier 10 DD instead of a tier 9 DD. (Presuming all games will be tier 8-10.) 

What do you guys think about this? I feel that if you honestly enjoy the DD playstyle that the Kitakaze will actually deliver more than the Haruguma. The Haruguma is fat to actually dodge torpedoes / shells. It will be better suited for the mid line.

Edited by Merlox

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,962 posts
21,911 battles

I will get the T10 anyway... because it's the last T10 I didn't have. And I will play her. Chances in a T10 being in a T10 battle is better then being a T9.

[SIDE]
Members
794 posts
4,266 battles
14 minutes ago, Erebthoron said:

I will get the T10 anyway... because it's the last T10 I didn't have. And I will play her. Chances in a T10 being in a T10 battle is better then being a T9.

You can say that, but as a Haruguma has so many downsides and will not play as a conventional DD, with a turning radius worst than the CONQUEROR... just let that sink in. lol You can't get close with this. It's basically taking a smaller Mino role but with worst maneuverability 

Edited by Merlox

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,345 posts
10,909 battles

I’ll get the T10 just to burn silver, but I’m for sure keeping the T9.

Kitty captain is going in the T9.

[HYDRO]
Members
3,242 posts
4,810 battles

Keep in mind the legendary upgrade of the Harugumo has not been shown yet, she might get something interesting.

With the stats we have on hand however I would stick with Kitakaze. She just seems the natural progression of Aki, Harugumo will be it's own beast.

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
8,239 posts
11,685 battles

I plan to stick with both of them.

[AHOY_]
Beta Testers
6,794 posts
3,975 battles

I'll be going for both. Harugumo is more of a convenient spammer working alongside a Worcester/Minotaur. The Kitakaze is pretty much a straight-upgrade to Akizuki that's worthwhile for more aggressive plays.

[B2P]
Members
568 posts
15,988 battles

It is keeping in line with the long tradition of tier 9 DDs being arguably better than their tier 10 counterparts.  Many people will argue Fletcher is a better DD than Gearing, that Z-46 is better than Z-52, and that Yugumo is better than Shimakaze.  Don't know about any of the other DD lines yet as I haven't gone up them. :Smile_Default:

Members
5,202 posts

I'll play and build the Kitikaze the exact same as the Akizuki, but the Harugumo will be different. The former I'll spec for concealment whereas I'll probably spec the latter as full gunboat with SI. 

As such, their styles will be different, but I'll still play both. 

Edited by Kombat_W0MBAT

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,345 posts
10,909 battles
4 hours ago, warheart1992 said:

Keep in mind the legendary upgrade of the Harugumo has not been shown yet, she might get something interesting.

With the stats we have on hand however I would stick with Kitakaze. She just seems the natural progression of Aki, Harugumo will be it's own beast.

-50% on torpedo reload time, +100% to gun reload time.

Members
582 posts
5,242 battles
28 minutes ago, HazardDrake said:

-50% on torpedo reload time, +100% to gun reload time.

Don't forget 10% Concealment and 5% dispersion.  Will be keeping those bonuses...thank you very much. :Smile_teethhappy: 

[NWNG]
Members
2,821 posts
4,689 battles
6 hours ago, Merlox said:

Main question is what are you sacrificing upgrading from Kitakaze to the Hauguma and is it worth it?

Reading with the recent changes. it appears that the Kitakaze is pretty much the Super Akizuki that every one wanted. It's faster, ruddershift is better, concealment is better, Has them great Shima Torps, and has access to the next modules. 

Upgrading to the Harugumo gives you an extra gun which is good, 20% increase in DPS, and you gain 5k HP. but you are sacrificing so much to gain that extra gun. You're slower than the Kitakaze, the turning is worst than the Akizuki by an extra 100m. (That's an 830m turning for a DD.), the concealment is worst than the Akizuki. You're also a much larger target, also last but not least you're a tier higher. Which means the enemy team is going to get paired up with another tier 10 DD instead of a tier 9 DD. (Presuming all games will be tier 8-10.) 

What do you guys think about this? I feel that if you honestly enjoy the DD playstyle that the Kitakaze will actually deliver more than the Haruguma. The Haruguma is fat to actually dodge torpedoes / shells. It will be better suited for the mid line.

I plan on keeping the set, and playing them. Already have doubloons ready for Harugumo Perm Camo.

Though there are a couple of points I need to make:
1. When looking strictly at Destroyers, Harugumo is Queen of Island Waifus. Open water combat is not her thing. When played correctly her weaknesses become a nothing.

2. 4->5=25% increase, not 20%.

[SIDE]
Members
794 posts
4,266 battles
18 minutes ago, Counter_Gambit said:

I plan on keeping the set, and playing them. Already have doubloons ready for Harugumo Perm Camo.

Though there are a couple of points I need to make:
1. When looking strictly at Destroyers, Harugumo is Queen of Island Waifus. Open water combat is not her thing. When played correctly her weaknesses become a nothing.

2. 4->5=25% increase, not 20%.

1. You're right, she is going to be the Island camper. unfortunately at that rate there's plenty of other cruisers that also fill that role. So you're not scouting... but also you're not exactly drawing fire away from team-mates like a Khaba does with that speed tank. I guess for me I'm confused at her current spot. As she does almost nothing that a DD should do. Instead she fills an odd wanna be cruiser spot. It'll be interesting to see how a team does if a team has nothing but harugumos vs a team that has the traditional DD roles. that's all. 

2. All I can say to that is.... Whoops. lol

Members
357 posts
72 battles
9 hours ago, Merlox said:

Im a pretty good Akizuki captain today and I enjoy a whole lot of First Blood/Kraken games with my Yamamoto captain in her. I feel pretty much the same way as you regarding this. I will definatly get the Harugumo as well and play that ship a lot just for that Mini-Wooster with smoke experience.

But I think I will move my 19 points Yamamoto to the Kitakaze because I feel that ship will take over the Kraken role Akizuki had before, not that sure about how the Harugumo will perform yet (we all have seen the video from Flamu but that is pretty much it).

My feeling are that I will get better performance with the Kitakaze then the Harugumo. Kitakaze will also get into those random T7 games.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,345 posts
10,909 battles
11 hours ago, Merlox said:

1. You're right, she is going to be the Island camper. unfortunately at that rate there's plenty of other cruisers that also fill that role. So you're not scouting... but also you're not exactly drawing fire away from team-mates like a Khaba does with that speed tank. I guess for me I'm confused at her current spot. As she does almost nothing that a DD should do. Instead she fills an odd wanna be cruiser spot. It'll be interesting to see how a team does if a team has nothing but harugumos vs a team that has the traditional DD roles. that's all. 

2. All I can say to that is.... Whoops. lol

Exactly. If you are gonna camp islands then there are much better ships for the task. I think you are right, a team of Harugumos are gonna be an auto-loss if the Ha-mos just go island hugging.

I personally think the whole idea of these ships being island huggers is gonna pass very quickly. 

Beta Testers
1,249 posts
7,710 battles

Kitakaze is more or less an improved Akizuki, even opening doors that the Akizuki struggled with due to its speed and concealment. Sluggish still, but able to perform destroyer roles well enough. Harugumo differs in that it's certainly not a standard cap contester. It'll work best as a second line ship, mostly supporting your own destroyers by melting anything and everything that tries to touch your cap fighters. You're a liability at both longer ranges and being on point into a cap, but any time you reach your sweet spot, things are not going to have a good time.

Dealing with two DDs in a cap is challenging enough when they're standard destroyers. Anything backed up by this monster is going to seriously regret their decisions.

[EGO]
Members
3,660 posts

I was very anxious to play the Kitakaze since I love the Akizuki and Harekaze. I had real questions about the Harugumo when I saw the turning circle was larger than the Conqueror. Now that I have the Harugumo I'd say my suspicious were confirmed. You have to be very careful due the difference in maneuverability and slightly worse concealment.

Imo the Kitakaze is the more consistent ship but you can have some monster games with the Harugumo. I'd like to play both but I only have one 100mm specced 19pt captain. I may respec my Yamato or Shima captain. The Shima captain doesn't see much action anymore but I 'd really like move Yamamato off the Yamato for the First Blood bonus. I still play the Yamato though so it would need a new captain then.

Members
5,202 posts

Kit is a more versatile DD. Haru doubles down on guns and lack of maneuverability. I much prefer the Kit over the Haru.

EDIT: Nice necro. 

Edited by Mortal_Marsupial

Sign in to follow this