You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
ScubaDoobie

Colorado CO Skills

32 comments in this topic

Members
70 posts
1,495 battles

Anyone have any recommendations for a fairly new play.  I have the Colorado BB and 11 skill points.  Any recommendation on where to distribute them?

• Cool 1

[SUCIT]
Members
907 posts
3,831 battles

Priority target, Expert Marksman, Superintendent and Concealment Expert.  Save the last point for Fire Prevention when you move up the line.

• Cool 1

[NBGC]
Members
331 posts
3,566 battles

I like Colorado a LOT. I don't really understand why a lot of people hate her. Just remember you almost always want to be going Full speed or you won't go anywhere. Her guns are accurate and if aimed properly can dev strike many cruisers.

I did: 

Preventative Maintenance

Adrenalin Rush

Superintendent

Concealment Expert

Just save your points after that for something like Expert Marksmen and/or Fire Prevention.

[MIA-A]
Beta Testers, Supertester
6,404 posts
7,630 battles

For Colorado and onward (assuming you will be progressing) my Montana Captain has:

15ac3a59a9.jpg

It may seem odd but I prefer to buff the guns a lot, I don't use secondary spec that often and usually go for concealment but I found on most T10 BBs it's a good choice. (Upgrades are not secondary)

Edited by Kousatsu

[NUWES]
Members
1,704 posts
5,868 battles
13 minutes ago, Rpkscout1 said:

I like Colorado a LOT. I don't really understand why a lot of people hate her. Just remember you almost always want to be going Full speed or you won't go anywhere. Her guns are accurate and if aimed properly can dev strike many cruisers.

I like her too. She is one of my highest winrate ships even though I mostly played her back before I had any idea what I was doing. Her bizarrely-low hitpoints and her speed are what people mostly complained about. Since her HP got fixed, it's really just her speed. It is barely acceptable on low tier maps, it is punitive when uptiered to T9 maps. I don't prioritize cruisers in Colorado unless they make a nuisance of themselves. Colorado can punch other T7 BBs hard in the face. In my opinion the job of the 16"/45s so you can take pressure off of your allied cruisers. The cruisers don't need my help to take out enemy CA/CLs. 

I use: Priority Target, Jack of All Trades, Basics of Survivability, and Concealment Expert - followed by Superintendent. I tried to built for survivability so I could draw attention and tank damage. 

Edited by Tzarevitch

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,793 posts
15,316 battles
24 minutes ago, Rpkscout1 said:

I did: 

Preventative Maintenance

Adrenalin Rush

Superintendent

Concealment Expert

Just save your points after that for something like Expert Marksmen and/or Fire Prevention.

I don't hate Colorado.  I love her as an opponent.

1.  She's super slow, so the amount of leading I need to do with my aim is minimal.  She may as well be stationary.

2.  She's FAT.

3.  She has YOOGE SUPERSTRUCTURES.

4.  Points 1-3 together make her extremely easy to hit and she catches all kinds of shells left, right, center, forward, and back.

BBs love her because she gets penned, citadeled easy.

Cruisers love her because she's big, fat, tall, super slow.  There's so much to hit that Cruisers get fat multi-hit salvos all the time on her.

The only thing she has that deters anyone is her AA against CV air attacks, but with people not wishing to do AA Build on a BB that could have fantastic AA, then she is an easy kill for a CV as if they were attacking an Arizona or Tirpitz.

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,922 battles

Don't forget Scuba, do you plan to bring that CO all the way up with you or will you keep her on the Colorado? If you do plan on bringing him up, I do recommend thinking long term for what you want. Example: You want Montana, get skills now for Montana on your Colorado. This way, it will cheaper to retrain in the long run so that you don't have to keep respecing at each ship.

500 on North Carolina, 500 on Iowa, 500 on Montana vs  500 retrain + 250 respec on North Carolina, 500 retrain + 300 respec on Iowa, etc.

I might play tonight if you want to division again. I hope my Clan Benefits are helping you a lot.

[INTEL]
Beta Testers
1,627 posts
4,167 battles
55 minutes ago, XpliCT_PaiiN said:

Priority target

31 minutes ago, Tzarevitch said:

I use: Priority Target

Not snark - honest question for you guys...why?  At tier 7, I can't think of a ship *less* capable of dodging shells in flight.  I mean, if the enemy had to file shot flight plans in triplicate for committee approval before firing, they'd still have a good chance at hitting you.  When you drive Colorado, you have to plan your movement with a calendar.

Why wouldn't you take PM instead?

[NBGC]
Members
331 posts
3,566 battles
33 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Not citadeled too easily. At least not when I play her. She is probably the ship that I get most of my citadels in. As I said, her guns are very accurate.

[REALY]
Members
126 posts
1,628 battles

Fishrokk, PT is good on Colorado because even though you might not be able to dodge like a cruiser, it tells you when hidden ships( like DDs) are targeting you, not just the one BB you see off in the distance, allowing you to plan accordingly. Also, when you see 2 ships, but are targeted by 3 and see the counter switch back to 2 then back to 3 you know that the DD that you can't see has just switched to targeting you with torpedoes.

As for Captain skills, I found use in Priority Target, Expert Marksman, Basic Firing Training (for the AA IIRC), Concealment Expert, then Fire Prevention and Adrenalin Rush.

Incidentally, I'm finding that I enjoy Colorado more than North Carolina. Sure, NC is faster and has more guns and such, but it seems to have New Mexico levels of dispersion, especially after being able to simply hit what I was aiming at with Colorado. Shotgun BBs are frustrating when you have an inherent negative RNG modifier...

• Cool 1

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,922 battles
2 minutes ago, Axiomaticranger said:

Fishrokk, PT is good on Colorado because even though you might not be able to dodge like a cruiser, it tells you when hidden ships( like DDs) are targeting you, not just the one BB you see off in the distance, allowing you to plan accordingly. Also, when you see 2 ships, but are targeted by 3 and see the counter switch back to 2 then back to 3 you know that the DD that you can't see has just switched to targeting you with torpedoes.

As for Captain skills, I found use in Priority Target, Expert Marksman, Basic Firing Training (for the AA IIRC), Concealment Expert, then Fire Prevention and Adrenalin Rush.

Incidentally, I'm finding that I enjoy Colorado more than North Carolina. Sure, NC is faster and has more guns and such, but it seems to have New Mexico levels of dispersion, especially after being able to simply hit what I was aiming at with Colorado. Shotgun BBs are frustrating when you have an inherent negative RNG modifier...

What I found for my ships is that I like to use both PT and IFA. This way, I know how long I can go straight and how many people are attempting to sink me. This has helped me greatly with my Richelieu because when I am doing a "U-Turn" in front of the enemy because I know the moment that 1 become a 0 that I am safe to keep on turning and put 8 AP shells into him.

• Cool 1

[ARP2]
Members
1,262 posts
3,599 battles

Do you plan on keeping Colorado or are you just grinding through her?  

If you're just grinding through and moving the captain to higher tier US BBs:

PM, WD40, BoS and/or superintendent, and CE.

If you're keeping her and this will be her captain:

PM, WD40, BoS, AFT for the first 10.

Then go back and get adrenaline rush and superintendent for the next 5.

Finally, CE (if you're a girl) or Manual Secondaries.  

A number of DDs you encounter will have to get within your secondary range at tier 7, assuming you take the secondary module as well.  The Secondaries can be good fun against other ships as well.  Fires and such.  

It's the only no premium US ship I like a secondary build on.

[INTEL]
Beta Testers
1,627 posts
4,167 battles
33 minutes ago, Axiomaticranger said:

Fair enough.  Although if the DD in question is smart, he'll have his torpedo targeting up to begin with...

26 minutes ago, Vangm94 said:

What I found for my ships is that I like to use both PT and IFA. This way, I know how long I can go straight and how many people are attempting to sink me. This has helped me greatly with my Richelieu because when I am doing a "U-Turn" in front of the enemy because I know the moment that 1 become a 0 that I am safe to keep on turning and put 8 AP shells into him.

That seems like overkill to me, but if it works for you!

[WOLF3]
Members
6,781 posts
2,670 battles
23 hours ago, Rpkscout1 said:

I like Colorado a LOT. I don't really understand why a lot of people hate her.

I did: 

Preventative Maintenance

Adrenalin Rush

Superintendent

Concealment Expert

Pretty much this.  So many people tout Priority Target, but really, in a BB what does it matter if 3 people or 5 people are shooting at you?  Better to preserve your modules.  Edit: as pointed out below, PM is not as effective on BBs as I believed.  Still not thrilled with PT as a choice, but more info is good.

Expert Marksman or Adrenaline Rush is a hard choice.  If you hate the slow turrets take EM first.  But AR is entirely reasonable. I like to get in close when I can, so started with EM.

I'm not a big fan of Superintendent.  If there's Consumable I tend to run out of, I take a Premium version.  Personally, I prefer VIgilance.  Colorado is relatively responsive as BBs go and can benefit from the extra warning time.

If you're playing Scenarios, then Concealment Expert is likely not your best choice.  You're gonna be spotted, period.  Fire Prevention, AFT, ...  Or invest the final 5 in a 3- (BFT or SI?) and a 2-point skill (AR/EM?).  In Randoms, CE may be the better choice. 

Edited by iDuckman
Better understand PM

[DUDE_]
Members
2,993 posts
13,050 battles

The difference in the Colorado and North Carolina is mind numbing. I realize its easy to just get past it as fast as possible, but if you can make the Colorado work you are a very skilled captain. The NC is awesome.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,793 posts
15,316 battles
1 hour ago, Rpkscout1 said:

Not citadeled too easily. At least not when I play her. She is probably the ship that I get most of my citadels in. As I said, her guns are very accurate.

She can't even save herself from 380mm guns, much less 406mm+.

• Bad 1

[-K-]
[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,816 posts
6,927 battles
3 hours ago, XpliCT_PaiiN said:

Priority target, Expert Marksman, Superintendent and Concealment Expert.  Save the last point for Fire Prevention when you move up the line.

I respectfully disagree with your second skill choice. Adrenaline Rush is a must-have skill for any BB. BBs are still very effective at mid-to-low HP levels, so you'll hugely benefit from being able to cycle your guns faster. Stock Colorado's reload is 30 seconds, so if you're at 50% (very comfortable HP for any BB) you'll shave 3 seconds off that reload, and at 20% HP your reload becomes ~25 seconds!

Superintendent is iffy also, I'd personally take Vigilance, 25% increase in torpedo detection is quite a bit, and will make you wiggle out of torpedoes that much better (being able to avoid a single torpedo hit is almost always a greater benefit than an extra heal will provide). But this is more of a personal preference, I suppose.

[BRZKR]
[BRZKR]
Members
430 posts
1 hour ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

I don't hate Colorado.  I love her as an opponent.

1.  She's super slow, so the amount of leading I need to do with my aim is minimal.  She may as well be stationary.

2.  She's FAT.

3.  She has YOOGE SUPERSTRUCTURES.

4.  Points 1-3 together make her extremely easy to hit and she catches all kinds of shells left, right, center, forward, and back.

Cruisers love her because she's big, fat, tall, super slow.  There's so much to hit that Cruisers get fat multi-hit salvos all the time on her.

The only thing she has that deters anyone is her AA against CV air attacks, but with people not wishing to do AA Build on a BB that could have fantastic AA, then she is an easy kill for a CV as if they were attacking an Arizona or Tirpitz.

Compared to other BBs, Colorado is very slow. Another negative about this ship is the large size of the hull. Its large size makes it an easy target. Another drawbacks is it doesn't have triple turret batteries. So if you go bow on a ship, it is not really effective when attacking ships bow on.

[2CUTE]
Beta Testers
1,731 posts
2,621 battles
3 minutes ago, vak_ said:

I respectfully disagree with the second skill. Adrenaline Rush is a must-have skill for any BB. BBs are still very effective at mid-to-low HP levels, and you get 10-15% reload boost.

Superintendent is iffy also, I'd personally take Vigilance, 25% increase in torpedo detection is quite a bit, and will make you wiggle out of torpedoes that much better.

If the Colorado ever gets into mid to brawling range. Honestly, AR isn't required for a Colorado but later on, you will want to get it. Expert Marksman will allow for your guns to turn faster and thus, get the enemy in your cross hairs faster. Albeit, Colorado doesn't have terrible turret traverse when compared to her peers. And Vigilance is iffy as you can preemptively maneuver so that you are not sailing in a straight line which will make it harder for torps to hit you. Honestly, I avoid situations where torpedoes are inevitable. But of course, Superintendent is iffy as well.   

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,922 battles
2 hours ago, Fishrokk said:

Fair enough.  Although if the DD in question is smart, he'll have his torpedo targeting up to begin with...

That seems like overkill to me, but if it works for you!

That was I used to think too. Once I used it, it's hard to not to.

[WOLF9]
Members
3,342 posts

The USN BB line was the first one I really ground seriously- because I liked ALL of them.  Thus I did it "wrong", lol.   Most of them have their own captains, and once I hit the mid-high tiers, I had to use the low tier ones to grind captains for the new ones...   I liked Colorado so much, I ground it's captain all the way to 19 points!   NC has an 18 pointer, and Monty a 14 pointer, lol.   Iowa doesn't have one at all. ( I have Missouri, which earns more credits, so...)

The advice above is pretty solid- CO and NC need very different captain skills- which is why they both have dedicated captains.   Monty's is so low, because I put Steven Seagal in it when I got it (Seagal, not Monty) - which was only 10 points.   I've been dumping elite xp into it and using any captain xp boosting flag/camo I can when I play it to boost it up.    Monty isn't really that dependant on captain skills- it's more about the player.  (and consumables can boost survival)

Colorado, I found, likes an AA build.   While it does have good AA, it's ALL in open mounts, and the 5"er's are the older 127/25's.   Both AFT and BFT make a difference, and picking auxiliary armaments 1 instead of main battery 1 helps keep them alive longer.   AA upgrade 2 further improves your range.   All other skills go into main battery or survival.   I believe I went BFT and Superintendant for the 3 pointers; and AFT/ CE for the 4 point skills.   EM, Adrenaline Rush, and PT complete my build.

North Carolina otoh, I did more of a pure survival build.   The AA is ridiculously good as it is, and I wanted both Fire Prevention and BoS.   I think I took AFT to push my secondary range out farther, but took Superintendant as my second 3 pt skill.

[WOLF9]
Members
3,342 posts
1 hour ago, Leopard_IX said:

Compared to other BBs, Colorado is very slow. Another negative about this ship is the large size of the hull. Its large size makes it an easy target. Another drawbacks is it doesn't have triple turret batteries. So if you go bow on a ship, it is not really effective when attacking ships bow on.

Colorado is pretty small for a tier 7 BB- especially compared to the British monstrosities!   Only Lyon is smaller.   There are cruisers in it's mm range that are larger than Colorado, lol.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,816 posts
6,927 battles
1 hour ago, Dictonary said:

If the Colorado ever gets into mid to brawling range. Honestly, AR isn't required for a Colorado but later on, you will want to get it. Expert Marksman will allow for your guns to turn faster and thus, get the enemy in your cross hairs faster. Albeit, Colorado doesn't have terrible turret traverse when compared to her peers. And Vigilance is iffy as you can preemptively maneuver so that you are not sailing in a straight line which will make it harder for torps to hit you. Honestly, I avoid situations where torpedoes are inevitable. But of course, Superintendent is iffy as well.   

AR is not for brawling?.. It's useful regardless of the distance to the enemy, as long as you can fire. Sure, EM allows faster turret rotation, but consider this -- how much time will you save for a 180 degree traverse (which you don't need all that often). How does that compare with a 3 second reduction for ALL shots when you're at 50% HP?

Vigi is always useful, I only forgo it on BBs with hydro. If it were as simple as "always zigzag", good players wouldn't be ever hit by torpedoes, which isn't the case. You might not realize the DD is there. You might turn into a lucky torpedo spread. You might not have the option to zigzag, and have to try to comb the torps.

[WOLF3]
Members
6,781 posts
2,670 battles
1 hour ago, Fletcher7_1944 said:

Colorado, I found, likes an AA build.  While it does have good AA, it's ALL in open mounts,

Straight AA build, eh?  I think I'll give it a try.  Surprised you don't use PM.