You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Erebthoron

7.8 patch notes are up

79 comments in this topic

Members
1,016 posts
19,129 battles
2 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

... but long-time Black Swan veterans might not be happy with the shift to their meta. @theLaalaa, what are your thoughts on this one? Does the ability to light fires constitute adequate compensation?

For players that played the Black Swan the same way they played any other Tier 1 boat (the great majority of players), they'll notice almost no difference except to rejoice in fire damage. What I mean by "the same way" is aiming to hit an enemy boat.

Players that played the Black Swan utilizing it's combined unique characteristics may well notice a marked decrease in effectiveness. What I mean by "unique characteristics" is:

• Stealthiness to get to point-blank range with near-full health. (for maximum shell penetration chance)
  • Aiming at a particular part of a boat rather than simply aiming at a boat. (for citadel hits rather than pitiful hits)
  • Jack rabbit acceleration. (which allows frequent stopping/reversing in a stratagem)

While the first and third characteristics remain, it remains to be seen if point-blank hits to citadel areas will result in crits. If not, the value of these other characteristics are about the same as prettier rigging graphics.

In the initial post, the reason for the change was:

...to reduce her effectiveness, making her less attractive for experienced players, but maintaining comfort for beginners.

Carrying this thought process to it's logical conclusion, why doesn't WG devs simply give Tier 1 a single, solitary boat that flies a plain grey flag named "Boat." Make XP gained on "Boat" able to unlock any tier 2 boat. That way, rather than going through all their trouble with these changes

...to reduce its efficiency and equalize the performance of beginners and experienced players on this ship...

(from:

)

...they achieve instant and continued success at sameness. Otherwise, "experienced players" are going to find some unique ability (or combo, as the case may be) of a particular boat (as I did with the Black Swan) to bring unevenness to an encounter.

If the Swan becomes as bad as the Hermelin or her silly sister, Bougainville, I guess I'll return to my beloved Orlan.

nCrNWK8.jpg

Edited by theLaalaa

[ARGSY]
Members
12,478 posts
7,908 battles
11 minutes ago, theLaalaa said:

While the first and third characteristics remain, it remains to be seen if point-blank hits to citadel areas will result in crits. If not, the value of these other characteristics are about the same as prettier rigging graphics.

Well, we still have six barrels to everyone else's four, and four barrels bow-on to everyone else's two. So instead of a mini-Minotaur we'll have a baby Belfast or weeny-Worcester. And the AP-only shock for the British cruiser line will be deferred to Tier 2 (arguably where it belongs; the Black Swan is a cruiser in name only). 

Really they should just give all ships at this tier an AP vs. HE choice (as I believe they once had) and leave it at that. The other thing I would do is restore the Erie's 5-inch gun option.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

Members
1,016 posts
19,129 battles
3 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Well, we still have six barrels to everyone else's four, and four barrels bow-on to everyone else's two. So instead of a mini-Minotaur we'll have a baby Belfast or weeny-Worcester. And the AP-only shock for the British cruiser line will be deferred to Tier 2 (arguably where it belongs; the Black Swan is a cruiser in name only). 

Really they should just give all ships at this tier an AP vs. HE choice (as I believe they once had) and leave it at that. The other thing I would do is restore the Erie's 5-inch gun option.

I actually had two captains trained for the Erie so, depending on how I wanted to play the ship (which guns to mount for a particular match), I had a captain suitable to that Erie make.... ah, the heady days of yore.....

[AHOY_]
Beta Testers
6,794 posts
3,975 battles
34 minutes ago, Bonfor said:

From the Chinese WoWS server?  It looks so close to the Guild Wars logo that I'd be worried about copyright infringements if I were them!

image.png.3e306dc8bd3673429a00dd75773c8861.png

The Jean Bart has already been in testing, so I'd expect that one to come out live before Alaska...

You're right; I forgot JB was in live earlier.

As far as the special camouflage goes, here's what they were originally listed as, courtesy of SEA:

byhL4QU.png Atago - Chinese server anniversary camouflage: -10% repair cost, +50% exp, standard battle bonus, costs 750 doubloons

0thYTVL.png Tirpitz - Chinese server anniversary camouflage: -10% repair cost, +50% exp, standard battle bonus, costs 750 doubloons

URtxoly.png Sharnhorst - Chinese server anniversary camouflage: -10% repair cost, +50% exp, standard battle bonus, costs 750 doubloons

[ARGSY]
Members
12,478 posts
7,908 battles
7 minutes ago, theLaalaa said:

I actually had two captains trained for the Erie so, depending on how I wanted to play the ship (which guns to mount for a particular match), I had a captain suitable to that Erie make.... ah, the heady days of yore.....

The 10 point Azur Lane captain that someone thoughtfully gifted me along with my Atlanta during the Indianapolis Marathon event obviously has BFT and AFT fitted, and because she's only used in premium ships IS STILL nominally trained for the Erie. If she ever gets her 5-inch guns back... But really what I should do is buy back my Clemson and put her in that. BFT, AFT, AR would still all be active at 50% until she's retrained...

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
23,344 posts
3,895 battles

I'm starting to wonder why I bother setting the port I like, when WG just forces it to be whatever port they want. This past month has been pretty annoying about it.

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,164 posts
22,270 battles
2 minutes ago, SmokeHenge said:

I think I missed the reward for having Tier X’s.  Anyone see it?

The anniversary details will be annouced at another time.

[A-D-F]
Members
877 posts
6,817 battles
4 hours ago, Cruxdei said:

nah,that will just make me stop playing ranked at rank 15.maybe they changed the break to avoid a lot of players getting steel.

Deciding to create a new currency; then enforce artificial rarity? capitalists! /s

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
4,622 posts
5 hours ago, zarth12 said:

Considering it started as CB only and moved onto Steel, I would say they have. Especially considering the rewards for competitive are now getting cosmetic (see copper).

But hey, I am sure you are just ignorant to how the F2P model works and who keeps the lights on.

You’re saying they’ve noticed the fact that YOU’VE stopped spending money.... that’s hilariously wrong.

As far as who’s keeping the lights on... pretty sure that’s me and people like me who don’t get our panties in a wad over every little thing and spend thousands and thousands on this game.

[WOLF5]
Members
1,330 posts
7,867 battles
8 minutes ago, TheDreadnought said:

You’re saying they’ve noticed the fact that YOU’VE stopped spending money.... that’s hilariously wrong.

As far as who’s keeping the lights on... pretty sure that’s me and people like me who don’t get our panties in a wad over every little thing and spend thousands and thousands on this game.

Nice Straw Man and ad hominem.

Still waiting for a coherent argument.

Edited by zarth12

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
23,344 posts
3,895 battles
11 minutes ago, TheDreadnought said:

Nah, you just get your panties in a wad any time a destroyer is halfway effective at its job until your sugar daddy nerfs it for you.

• Boring 2

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
4,622 posts
3 hours ago, zarth12 said:

Nice Straw Man and ad hominem.

Still waiting for a coherent argument.

Nice deflection.

The facts are this... you’re just throwing a temper tantrum like a small child not getting their way.

You’re not currently supporting the game so you don’t even have grounds to complain.

You talked about people “keeping the lights on”.  Well, that’s me and others like me.  You’re currently freeloading off my dime.

Nobody cares your “wallet is closed.”  Certainly not WG and certainly not those of us paying to keep the lights on.

If you’re not going to support the game, fine.  But do the rest of us a favor and throw your temper tantrums elsewhere.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
4,622 posts
3 hours ago, KiyoSenkan said:

Nah, you just get your panties in a wad any time a destroyer is halfway effective at its job until your sugar daddy nerfs it for you.

What?  I don’t have any problems with DDs as a type.  They’re fine.

I do have a problem with whining DD players complaining EVERY PATCH is a nerf to DDs somehow.   Surprised I haven’t seen any complaints about 7.8 yet.   Maybe I just haven’t read the forums enough lately.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,519 posts
12,810 battles
11 hours ago, Cruxdei said:

hmm i missed the azur lane commanders,wish they could bring them back.

I really like the Cleveland commander.  She laughs when she wins, and makes excuses when she loses.

• Funny 1

Members
1,205 posts
3,161 battles

So much good stuff in this update. I have been waiting for Kitikaze and Harugumo for so long, the new camos are awesome (I'll probably grab one for Atago and Scharnhrost) and how can you go wrong with a dasha captain? I legitimately haven't been this excited for a video game in a long time. 

Great work WG!

• Boring 1

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
4,622 posts
25 minutes ago, zarth12 said:

Hey man, if you believe the world is flat that is your prerogative.

However, as a suggestion you should share those beliefs with others like yourself who don't know what evidence is.

Try here: https://www.tfes.org/ 

Rofl!  

I guess the snowflake doesn’t like to be called out when throwing a tantrum.

[SRPH]
[SRPH]
Members
728 posts
1,897 battles

I hope you two take your argument to PMs so this thread doesn't get shut down.

Does anyone know what languages the Space Commanders speak?  Do they speak just the native language for whatever tree they represent?

[AHOY_]
Beta Testers
6,794 posts
3,975 battles
1 minute ago, Bonfor said:

I hope you two take your argument to PMs so this thread doesn't get shut down.

Does anyone know what languages the Space Commanders speak?  Do they speak just the native language for whatever tree they represent?

They originally had their own cybernetic/robotic voice during the Space Event. Here's to hoping they retain that purchased.

[SRPH]
[SRPH]
Members
728 posts
1,897 battles
1 minute ago, YamatoA150 said:

They originally had their own cybernetic/robotic voice during the Space Event. Here's to hoping they retain that purchased.

So the language was understandable to each player?

[AHOY_]
Beta Testers
6,794 posts
3,975 battles
2 hours ago, Bonfor said:

So the language was understandable to each player?

It was, as far as I played. Space Zao, Space Republique, Space Kurfurst, and Space DM's Space Captains all had a sci-fi English voice. I'm not sure if WG re-enabled it for these new Captains, but I'm hoping.

• Cool 1

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Beta Testers
5,071 posts
1,501 battles
17 hours ago, mofton said:

So. Many. Camouflageeesssss!

Despite that, DoY will still suck no matter how many premium camouflage options are thrown at it. It is nice to see what looks like an actual historic camo for Hood make an appearance as a discrete unit, and not as part of the $100 'bend over for bundle'.

IMO they should give her upgrade slots 5 and 6 but replace MBM3 with artillery plotting room 2 in the 6th slot, would keep her distinct from KGV but buff ehr up nicely.

[SIDE]
Members
2,526 posts
23 hours ago, TheDreadnought said:

Pretty sure they haven't noticed any difference whatsoever.  LOL

It’s what he tells himself, to us, to make his alt actts feel better? 

I am just not interest d in ththe Stalingrad at all. I don’t really care about the camp either. However, I’m very interested in Alaska. I’d also like to here more about Brit dd and the pan euro boats that are in the rumor mill.

I am also grateful there isn’t a lot of anime nonsense in this patch.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
4,622 posts
2 hours ago, thebigblue said:

It’s what he tells himself, to us, to make his alt actts feel better? 

I am just not interest d in ththe Stalingrad at all. I don’t really care about the camp either. However, I’m very interested in Alaska. I’d also like to here more about Brit dd and the pan euro boats that are in the rumor mill.

I am also grateful there isn’t a lot of anime nonsense in this patch.

ROFL  right?

Yeah, I'm the same.

I'm really interested in Alaska, despite the fact that I own all the Tier 9 Free XP ships, and never play any of them.  Missouri occasionally I guess. . . but the others I just didn't like for one reason or another.

Maybe Alaska will be different?!  :)  Might give me something to do with those retired 19 point American captains I have that went into mothballs along with all my other American BBs when Massachusetts came out.

Members
191 posts
4,423 battles
16 hours ago, GreyFox78659 said:

Rumor has it WG is hurt do to WoT drop in revenue and has told WoWS to sink or swim. This patch is kind of proof they need income as they dropped the price on camouflages that really shouldn’t be for sell as they are typically holiday giveaways. This does not bode well for the future of WoWS. 

Or, alternatively they see offering up all these camo’s at a discount to bring in additional revenue. I refuse to believe that WG has told WOWS to sink or swim. As someone who owns many of these ships, I plan to buy a camo or two.