You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
JakeParlay

Alsace... what am I doing wrong?

35 comments in this topic

[D33P6]
Members
201 posts
11,903 battles

FWIW, I spent some elite captain XP to get another Tier 4 Captain Skill (not sure how I got to T9 with that few Captain points...my Monarch, which I was grinding at the same time, has a couple hundred thousand more points), and have to say Fire Prevention is REQUIRED on this ship.  I IMMEDIATELY went from constantly having 2-3 fires burning at all times, and being set on fire 11+ times a game, to almost never having more than 1 fire, and usually only 2-3 fires per game. Completely changed the ship...I was getting ready to rage quit her.  I was doing ok, but not great, damage with her before, but always being burning stem to stern is just incredibly frustrating, as there really isn't anything you can do about it (aside from running Fire Prevention).  I don't see any way it is possible for AFT, despite the ships very good secondaries, to equal the benefit provided from FP, on this ship.

[-TBP-]
Members
45 posts
4,491 battles

Im with you on this. The HE seems to work great but the AP is terrible. I just went broadside at 3.5km with Jean Bart i did 5.5k damage he did over 20k with less guns then i had Roon broadside at less than 5km with 2 front turrets  less than 5k damage on a cruiser broadside aiming right where your supposed to. I guess i will stick to HE because at least i get consistent damage at any range because AP bounces at long range and does crap at short range. I guess at least i didnt play Alsace before the nerf cause i might be really pissed if i had cause every1 said this ship kicked [edited].

Members
3 posts
1,185 battles
On 8/21/2018 at 6:45 AM, The_first_harbinger said:

Aside from kills, let's see what you DO have:
One of the best maneuverbility for tier 9 battleships
One of the best concealment for tier 9 battleships
The best anti-aircraft armament for tier 9 battleships
The best secondary armament suite for tier 9 battleships
Solid armor scheme, vulnerable to prolonged HE spam
Heaviest raw broadside weight for tier 9 battleships
Fast turret traverse and fast reload
Phast Boi

For all of that, you pay the price of raw firepower, in terms of gun caliber, accuracy, and ballistic characteristics. 

So, what does this mean?
You cannot fight your enemies head on. You do not stick in a fight for long. 

But you can do well going into risky positions (especially in mid-late game when destroyer threats are neutralized), stealthing up if the fight becomes unfavorable, defending yourself against aircrafts, dealing with unexpected sudden threats with secondaries and main batteries alike.

You are a flanker, actively trying to put your enemies into a crossfire between you and your team. Need to face tank several AP vollies from enemy battleships? The Alscase can handle it! Calculate your threats, what ship poses the most threat to you, how long might it take them to kill you, is it worth it to push to where I am about to...

So many things wrong here...but some right lets start with those. 

Best AA : Yeah actually this thing looks like a beast against my planes when I was a tier 9 CV when it was a thing. Now with the AA rework..this AA thing doesn't seem..that good anymore

Best maneuverability : yeah but to what end? To flank? GL with the best concealment of the game along side with the  Grobe right?

Fast turret traverse: No argument there.

-----

Now onto the WRONG (in trump voice) cause there is much fake news.

Best concealment: Maybe take off your camo and upgrades then tell me what it is after.

Best Secondary: not the best, Gober is waaaaay better with  better reload and speed plus the way they are the position you can bow tank at 10km if you wanted and still got 2/3 of your guns forwards so should be "one of the best" But secondary build on tier 9 battle..really? 

Solid armor scheme:  I guess...but the range you want to play at puts you in range of CL so no. It is NOT solid.

Heaviest broadside: Yeah but at like 80 angling vs their 60~70, you will have a tough time trying do damage especially with your fast shell (elongated spread) + the BEST sigma ever of 1.6...lower the number is better right?

Flanking takes a lot of skill but having the best concealment should help right?

I can see this ship being a DD and CL deleter if it didn't have such bad ACC. Reload? Fine w.e but the ACC is another thing I guess you can at least guarantee one shell hit with that big of a spread radius right? Which will either over-pen or not pen at all.

Members
3,648 posts
6,905 battles
On 2/2/2019 at 6:44 PM, Intet said:

Geez, didn't expect a counter argument 3 months after :Smile_playing:
Yeah, several patches after a lot of the things have changed. What you said is mostly true. Concealment no longer matters with CV everywhere and the nerf, FDG got her 25mm HE pen secondaries, and you can only land about 1/4 of your broadside weight on target at best.

It really isn't a great time to play the Alsace right now, but I've seen people making full secondary Alsace work phenomenally in this patch. 

Members
4,744 posts
7,802 battles

I am still playing it - this was earlier today.  3 cit salvo on a N Caro I think and instant Dev strike.  Members of my team watched in surprise and even the N Caro capt could not believe it but..... he was broadside.

World of Warships - Alsace - 140980.PNG

[UN1]
Members
641 posts
2,343 battles
On 2/5/2019 at 3:57 PM, The_first_harbinger said:

Geez, didn't expect a counter argument 3 months after :Smile_playing:
Yeah, several patches after a lot of the things have changed. What you said is mostly true. Concealment no longer matters with CV everywhere and the nerf, FDG got her 25mm HE pen secondaries, and you can only land about 1/4 of your broadside weight on target at best.

It really isn't a great time to play the Alsace right now, but I've seen people making full secondary Alsace work phenomenally in this patch. 

Nah, she's still very strong.  She's just not the hyper-dominant (ie, overpowered) T9 she once was, but she's still easily one of the better T9 tech tree ships for sure.  Although I've only played through 3 lines so far, she was easily my best performing T9 ship the first run through.  I played her in a maximum secondary setup, but I'd have done well in a pure defensive gunboat role too.

Members
11 posts
1,415 battles

ship was a bit OP before the "correction"  but I do think the changes were too much.  

Its annoying to get overpens on broadside CA's at 15km, but before you could at least get 5 or 6 overpens per salvo, now your lucky if 2 shells hit a target.  The craptastic sigma/dispersion like this works on the T7 lyon with 16 guns, but on a t9 its hard to overcome.  My favorite is firing a 12 gun salvo at a CA and getting 3 overpens, 2 ricochets and the rest just missing.  Let me tell you those CA drivers all piss their pants with that kind of firepower pointed at them.  When I aim at the waterline to get a cit, I have a better chance of citadeling myself the way shells fly randomly from this thing, surprised I'm not pink more often, never know who or what your going to hit.

I vote fore reducing the reload a good 3 seconds so I can spray out more shells that have a tough time hitting and doing damage, did I mention the overpens??

[TARFU]
Members
10 posts
4,256 battles

I'm having a tough time with her too. I feel it's constantly being lit on fire, even though WG stats show fire chance is tier (not ship) dependant. It just seems ever HE salvo fired at me lights me on fire. It's incredibly frustrating, add to that the massive HE alpha this thing eats due to the thin deck armour - the survivability is not good. With the weak range and terrible dispersion you can't get the devastating close range salvos you rely on with cruisers either - you're expecting to delete them but only do 3500dmg with 4 overpens at 5km.

Hoping to find my place with this ship, I was really looking forward to it but at this rate I'd be more effective in my Richelieu at T9 than this thing.

Edited by cletuz

[90TH]
[90TH]
Members
263 posts
15,591 battles

My best match was in Alsace... 300k

Here is a really good match as well.

• Cool 1