Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Zildura

North Carolina

19 comments in this topic

Members
17 posts
5,426 battles

anyone having trouble with guns  shooting doughnut pattern? Im having long strings. where all shells will go over under  right and left of aim.

hell I lost trading shots with us ca t8  3 volleys all misses at close range.dam shells would go all around it with out hitting. started at me. almost

at full health ,and him at half. I get games where I get strings of shots like this the whole game.  strings have run up to  5 volleys in a row

one good one then 3 more bad 

[VW]
Members
2,054 posts
12,917 battles

NC is a beast, probably the best bb at tier 8. Are you running the accuracy mod? If not, you should be. It sounds like a problem with your aim, load a training room with all the ships you are able to see in mm spread and start shooting, this will help you with knowing where to aim. NC is fully capable of deleting any same tier ships, and does a good job dishing out damage in general. Her main issue is taking damage, show side, get deleted.

[R-R-R]
Members
978 posts
7,043 battles
1 minute ago, monpetitloup said:

NC is a beast, probably the best bb at tier 8. Are you running the accuracy mod? If not, you should be. It sounds like a problem with your aim, load a training room with all the ships you are able to see in mm spread and start shooting, this will help you with knowing where to aim. NC is fully capable of deleting any same tier ships, and does a good job dishing out damage in general. Her main issue is taking damage, show side, get deleted.

NC has no accuracy mod.

[VW]
Members
2,054 posts
12,917 battles
11 minutes ago, Exciton8964 said:

NC has no accuracy mod.

Doh! Forgot US ships dont mount it. I guess just try variations in aim, as i don’t recall missing so much at short range. Did you check videos on her, google ichase, notser etc?

Edited by monpetitloup

Members
4,918 posts
5,708 battles
10 minutes ago, monpetitloup said:

Yes, every ship has the dispersion mod available. I’ll check the name and get back to you.

USN BBs don't get the same 7% dispersion module as the rest of the ships. Instead, USN BBs get an 11% dispersion module in the T9 equipment slot. So only Iowa and Montana can mount an accuracy module. The T5-T8 USN BBs get a 16% range increase module instead of the dispersion module.

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Upgrades#Artillery_Plotting_Room_Modification_1

Edited by GhostSwordsman

[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor
7,448 posts
6,782 battles
1 hour ago, GhostSwordsman said:

So only Iowa and Montana

And the Missouri, obviously

Members
17 posts
5,426 battles

Its not my aim if I lead too much they will all cluster together and miss .if i aim for good hit they will open up and go all around target. how do you adjust when part of shells go over part go under . in  lead of and back of target,at the same time

Beta Testers
408 posts
4,945 battles

I feel that it may be more to do with your expectations and false understanding of "aim".  Understand that each salvo is going to have different parameters and dispersion will place shells in an area around your point of aim.  If you place the pattern of shot and don't get the hits you want, it's your aim that is faulty, simple as that.   It may seem that your aim may be true, but the proof is in the hits, placing the pattern on the target to ensure the most hits is what aiming is all about.  In my own experience with the NC, her guns are fairly accurate but seem erratic if only taken on a salvo by salvo basis.  Over the course of 10 to 20 salvos however, she dishes out consistent heavy damage for me.  Keep making adjustments until you get the results the NC is capable of, her guns are devastating and can keep pace with tiers 9 and 10 ships as long as you remember those guns are in a fragile tier 8 chassis.

Members
17 posts
5,426 battles

I guess My problem is expecting the guns to shoot like real guns.not shells coming out of gun  and turning right.or going stait

down. in real life if you put a 12 gauge shot gun  1 inch from pumpkin and shoot .no more pumpkin . in wow you miss!

point I understand they make guns shoot like crap to balance game. but getting long strings of guns shooting all over the place

is a bunch of crap.   ps if you buy real gun and it shoots like this. take it and get your money back. its very broke!

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
408 posts
4,945 battles

You should maybe begin shooting from a canoe for real life ballistics comparisons.  With a shotgun or any "real" firearm for that matter, you are shooting at extremely close ranges compared to naval artillery.  The shells have longer flight times and the sighting systems are far, far more complicated.  Take for example the difference between a .30-06 rifle and a rifle from the USS Texas, the 14 inch/45 caliber.  The .30 cal rifle has a projectile that weighs 0.02 pounds traveling at 2800 feet per second and the Mk16 shells of the Texas weigh 1500 pounds and travel at 2700 feet per second.  The .30-06 has an effective range out to 1200 yards, while the Texas 14"/45 only has an effective range out to 13000 yards and can lob it's shell to a maximum range of 34000 yards.  The .30-06 has sights set along the barrel and the bullet will drop  more than 60 inches during flight at only 600 yards range, that's 5 feet at only half of the effective range.  Meanwhile, the sights on the Texas are more than 50 feet from the barrels.  Hopefully you can see by now why comparisons even between "real" handheld firearms and naval artillery is silly, they are not the same in real life and not the same in game.

That being said, the game does suffer from the same limitations and flaws in the nature of random number generators.  Sometimes the RNG dishes out bad strings of "random" poo and gives you the finger, but on the flip side, when RNG is giving you nice treats with icing on top you never think to complain on how unfair RNJesus is to you. 

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,846 posts
15,336 battles

The Sigma on NC's guns are great, heavily buffed from what they originally were.  You still are subject to occasional RNG screwing you over, but that is a problem with all Battleships.  Even Yamato with her low dispersion value and high sigma still throws crazy wild salvos every now and then.

The problem the 16"/45 guns have at Tier VIII is how they float in the air a good while.  You have to do a lot more lead than you would compared to other BB Lines, even from within the USN BB Line.  Once you get the hang of accounting for the extra lead necessary for Tier VIII USN BBs, they behave much better for you.

[POD]
Members
41 posts
3,889 battles

RNG gets all of us once in a while.  The nice thing is with the NC if you spec her and play her properly the occasions RNG smackdown has less consequences.   Use as intended,  she is a stealthy sniper.  Sit on the 12km line and shoot then go dark and wait for another juicy broadside to shoot again.  She is a beast but not a brawler, think of her as a stealthy glass cannon.

[C-1]
[C-1]
Members
401 posts
7,316 battles

Yeah, one of the big things is range. If you are firing from max range (what is it?... 20km?) You are going to miss A LOT. The best accuracy I've noticed is around the 15km and lower ranges. You can attempt to snipe at max range, but the NC is a mid-range ship.

[MOH]
Members
293 posts
1,443 battles

Yeah, the NC is a beast as a mid-range ship.  I'd often sit bow-on in my NC, and use her thicker deck and extremely heavy turret face armor to her advantage.  Whereas other ships have pretty level projectory, the North Carolina's floaty shells would punch right through deck armor like butter.  Of course, there's more HE spam in the game than there was when I was playing the North Carolina, so tread lightly.  :)

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,846 posts
15,336 battles
On 9/14/2018 at 10:35 AM, Levits said:

Yeah, one of the big things is range. If you are firing from max range (what is it?... 20km?) You are going to miss A LOT. The best accuracy I've noticed is around the 15km and lower ranges. You can attempt to snipe at max range, but the NC is a mid-range ship.

12-15km is where I'd ideally like to fight with Alabama / NC.  Any closer and you are in range of many torpedoes and numerous long range secondaries.  Any further and the shell float time becomes annoying.  17km is extremely troubling unless the target is an idiot or bow camping.

The important thing NC has is her concealment.  It lets her control her engagements.  Is there a Zao, Charles Martel, Hindenburg hammering you at long ranges where you have trouble hitting?  Just "Go Dark" and deny them that fight.  Open up again at your leisure.  You can't lose a long range gun duel if you can't be seen to have a duel with :cap_cool:

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Members
1,590 posts
4,356 battles

The hard truth of WoWS gunnery - Flight time is overrated once it’s more than 1.5 times the rudder shift of what you’re shooting at. I love the guns on NC, they do great work on targets fool enough to sail straight at nearly any range. Inside 14 km, they’re incredibly dangerous.  Here’s a donut shaped pattern doing work.

[MOH]
Members
293 posts
1,443 battles

Leave it to the Germans to miss their targets at point blank range.  That's happened to me on a large number of occasions, haha.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,846 posts
15,336 battles
6 hours ago, Ranari said:

Leave it to the Germans to miss their targets at point blank range.  That's happened to me on a large number of occasions, haha.

The worst is being forced to fight 16km+ and no current opportunity to close range and make it better.  North Carolina, Alabama, those 16"/45 guns may throw floaty shells, but the one thing they got is decent dispersion.  If you know how to handle the guns, they will reward you with typically decent dispersion so you get hits and pens.  Not to mention the ability of the 16"/45 AP to pen quite well.

t8bbpen.png.6bf2cedfce458f8a3c1276120331

Source if curious for the BB Pen Graphs: 

These are good, reliable guns. As guns larger than 380mm, they'll also crush through some of those 27mm Cruiser Bows.  You will not be embarrassed by 27mm Bow Cruisers face tanking your shells.  You'll smash them with a big hammer.  The shells take some getting used to, but once you got the handle of it, they're very good.  16"/50 in Tier IX-X will be better, but the /45 are good to go.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Sign in to follow this