Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
majormojo

the USS land of cleavage

11 comments in this topic

[GLORY]
[GLORY]
Members
65 posts
956 battles

Any tips for playing this glass bathtub?  i landed 114 shots in one battle and half of those shattered for no damage.  i enjoy the ROF but the HE with its 13% fire chance and the low velocity AP makes for an underwhelming experience so far with my best game being 34k damage at top tier.   thanks!

[_ARP_]
[_ARP_]
Beta Testers
574 posts
5,231 battles

Ask a mod to remove the other 4 threads. Second you might want to change your title to be a little more informative on the ship. Maybe change it to something like USS Cleveland help or something like that.  The Cleveland is a ship that you really want islands and cover to be your friend because you have the high arcs on the 152mm shells. Try to get into positions to arc shells over islands so that you can remain unspotted but also do damage. The fire chance is 13% but because you are throwing out so many shells that it is relatively negligible.

Only ever touch AP if you are less than 10km from a cruiser or battleship and have their broadside, don't use it at any other time. I would also highly suggest, once you get the captain points, to spec for IFHE as it will greatly enhance the damage you can do with your HE.

[-SYN-]
Alpha Tester
1,119 posts
4,715 battles

I knew what this thread was going to pertain to before I ever clicked on it, and yet I still feel disappointed and cheated.

• Funny 1

[HINON]
Supertester
19,658 posts
13,234 battles

Use IFHE. Aim for superstructures.

[KRAK]
[KRAK]
Members
855 posts
11,081 battles

Sadly, I had to sell mine (900 battles in the old one), since I didn't repsec the captain to have IFHE when the new captains were assigned, and the ship was basically worthless without IFHE, in a T8-10 battle. I had a 15 pt captain with DE and CE and BFT, but not IFHE. Not the right US captain for the new Cleveland. Old Cleve I was pretty good at though. I had switched over to AP too, and knew I had no real future with the ship at that point. 

Highest game in 48 battles was 74K damage, so didn't loose money on that one game, but average battle damage was 21K. Loosing tons of coinage with it, so sold.

Edited by Ericson38

[BOTO]
Members
200 posts
7,189 battles

Ideally you want at least a 14 point captain, with PT, AR, DE, IFHE and CE.  All USN CLs should use IFHE; you can still do quite a bit of damage without it you just have to constantly start fires to get most of your damage.

I like the Cleveland a lot better at Tier 8 than I did at Tier 6 and I've had some of my best games in her.  I think I'm averaging around 65k damage a game in her and that's with a lot of Tier 10 matchmaking. 

I look to support friendly DDs while trying to kill red DDs.  With her high ROF and radar, you should actively seek to eliminate DDs at every opportunity.  Try to use island cover and set fires on anything that comes in range.  If you get a cruiser or battleship broadside inside of 10km or so then switch to AP.

Don't expose yourself, make sure to angle if you do, and keep those guns firing.  Use your low concealment to disengage if you need to and reposition.

[PNG]
Members
4,501 posts
11,425 battles

All in all I am having a better time with it at tier 8 than I did with it at tier 6. My average damage has doubled and am really enjoying the ship. IHFE helps and also build for concealment as you can get it down below 10km. once you do all that the ship becomes really good. I have been in several tier 10 matches with it and been top of the team on XP earned. even took on a Des Moines at close range and killed it. You have to play it like you play the Atlanta. Also helps to not be zoomed all the way out when you shoot at long range. Back the zoom off one notch and you will start to hit the targets more often.

Sign in to follow this