red_crested_ibis

Using interface in Port/returning to Port Crashes Computer

4 comments in this topic

[KAPPA]
Members
143 posts
5,422 battles

I've had an issue that has developed in the past two days.  The incident has occurred on 4 separate occasions so far.  The first two times, it occurred in the post-game stats screen - whenever I clicked on the button to return to port, the game pauses for a frame before my computer shuts down.  The first time it occurred, I figured it had been some power glitch, rebooted, and reentered tame.  I made it through 2 more games (thinking the issue had been resolved), but after the second game, I attempted to return to port and the same crash occurred.

I booted up today, having forgotten about the issue at first; after my clanmate reminded me, I decided not to play a game and redeem my points; once I was done, I planned to verify integrity and see if that solved problems.  However, when I opened the one chest I had from the previous night, the game again paused and crashed the computer.

After that, I went through and made sure to take the first steps to fix.  I verified integrity, updated my computer's Windows Updates (Security stuff, standard, but just in case).  I also made sure my graphics driver was also updated all the way.  Once everything was restarted, I rebooted, launched only WoWS, and went through what I had planned to do (spending my tickets on camo, etc, for the Go Navy! Event).

However, when I attempted to purchase the first flag, the computer froze again in the same manner and shut down.  That leads me here.

In checking, my power cable is and not loose.  This has not occurred with any other game or similarly resource-sapping program.  My computer's temperature never approached anywhere near critical, especially the second two times.  The only difference noted is that the first three times, the computer immediately rebooted; the fourth time, it did not reboot.  Currently, my only thought on what to do is to reinstall the game, unless anyone has another idea as to what it might be, as I'm unsure if that's the issue.

[KAPPA]
Members
143 posts
5,422 battles
41 minutes ago, Dadrox said:

How much free space is on your C: drive?

Very little at the moment.  I think I'm hovering between 1 & 2% free space, and have been for a while now.

Though now I think of it, I did install something Friday/Saturday which brought it down real low, and that coupled with downloading all the updates may have merely exacerbated the issue.  it did crash on me a fifth time when I simply logged into the start screen.  It loaded all assets, zoomed in on the ship, and then crashed.

I'll take a gander at it tomorrow and see if that's the issue; I need to clear up space as it is, so removing some things won't be a major problem.

Edited by red_crested_ibis

[KAPPA]
Members
143 posts
5,422 battles
18 hours ago, Dadrox said:

How much free space is on your C: drive?

Managed to free up over 100 gigs of space through uninstalls and deleting unnecessary files.  Loaded into game.  After tinkering for a little bit on the main screen, arsenal, etc, I clicked another button to transition back and check on my signals - on the way to do that, it crashed again.

At this point, I'm going to reinstall and hope it's just that.  I'm worried that it could be a PSU problem - the unit is only 2 1/2 years old at this point, so I'm hoping it's not that.  The only other thing might be a bad outlet or similar, but it's the same outlet and surge protector that it's been on for about two months, and I haven't noticed anything that might change it.

Still, thanks for the help - it did manage to last a bit longer before crashing this time.