Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.

12 comments in this topic

[GLF]
Members
12 posts
3,340 battles

So, I'm sure a lot of you may have noticed that by the time they sank, all the Kongo Fast Battleships looked pretty different from each other. After I had bought the Kongo a few months ago, though, I was sort of confused. You see, the Kongo looks like this... 

ijn_kongo_roh_66.jpg

But the ingame Kongo looks like this! 

Hiei1942.png

Should/could Wargaming fix this? I also saw some arpeggio ships still sailing around, and all of the Kongo sisters there are reskinned. Does it even matter to anyone? 

Personally, I would love to see our real Kongo.

• Boring 1

[GLF]
Members
12 posts
3,340 battles
20 minutes ago, Battlecruiser_Yavuz said:

I recall that the in-game Kongo is based off of Hiei.

Yeah, but the WG staff must've known better. My thought is why would they purposely mix the two up? 

Supertester
1,506 posts
16 battles
14 minutes ago, jpdillon510 said:

Yeah, but the WG staff must've known better. My thought is why would they purposely mix the two up? 

It is usually the case that the lead ship will represent the entire class if it is a regular in the tech tree, hence why Lexington in game has Saratoga's 5"/38, Leander is basically Ajax, or Kongo is Hiei. WG will occasionally get things different on premium ships too, IIRC, Flint has the wrong bridge.

The 4 Kongo class BCs had different pagodas upon rebuilding, and I would like camouflage skins to represent them all, unlockable from optional missions, however such a feature is probably not a high priority at all for WG. 

As to why the original choice was Hiei, perhaps that was what they had to hand when creating the model years ago.

[GLF]
Members
12 posts
3,340 battles
37 minutes ago, Trainspite said:

It is usually the case that the lead ship will represent the entire class if it is a regular in the tech tree, hence why Lexington in game has Saratoga's 5"/38, Leander is basically Ajax, or Kongo is Hiei. WG will occasionally get things different on premium ships too, IIRC, Flint has the wrong bridge.

The 4 Kongo class BCs had different pagodas upon rebuilding, and I would like camouflage skins to represent them all, unlockable from optional missions, however such a feature is probably not a high priority at all for WG. 

As to why the original choice was Hiei, perhaps that was what they had to hand when creating the model years ago.

Wow, Never owned Flint so I didn't even know her bridge was wrong. As for Leander, I didn't even realize that or Lexington, either. You're probably right, WG doesn't have a reason to really care. But it would be cool to see it changed someday. 

[WOLF3]
Members
20,970 posts
19,424 battles

I wouldn't mind seeing Kongo properly modeled and Hiei and / or Kirishima represented.

Of all the Japanese Battleships, I hold Kongo-class in the highest regard, above even Yamato-class.  Simply because Kongo-class were WORKHORSES for the IJN and they were sent to fight as a Battleship when the war was still in doubt.  They weren't sitting in the home islands or Truk all the time like Fuso, Ise, Nagato, and Yamato-class Battleships.  They weren't sitting far away from the fighting for Guadalcanal like the other Battleships, doing circles and using up all the fuel and not engaging.  The other IJN BBs were gas guzzing resource hogs doing nothing for the war effort, while Kongo-class were dispatched into the dark to tangle with the Allied fleet for Guadalcanal.

Kongo-class were not sitting idle somewhere taking up all the fuel and guzzling sake.  They were being put to work.  The other IJN BB classes were paperweight posers.  It was a Kongo-class Battleship that was the only IJN BB-class to shoot and hit an opposing Battleship.  At least Kirishima, as old, decrepit, and obsolete as she was, smacked around South Dakota and tried to act like a godd*mn Battleship.  Every other IJN BB-class did nothing but be a waste of manpower and resources.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 2

[HUNGS]
Members
1,696 posts
3,603 battles
3 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

I wouldn't mind seeing Kongo properly modeled and Hiei and / or Kirishima represented.

Of all the Japanese Battleships, I hold Kongo-class in the highest regard, above even Yamato-class.  Simply because Kongo-class were WORKHORSES for the IJN and they were sent to fight as a Battleship when the war was still in doubt.  They weren't sitting in the home islands or Truk all the time like Fuso, Ise, Nagato, and Yamato-class Battleships.  They weren't sitting far away from the fighting for Guadalcanal like the other Battleships, doing circles and using up all the fuel and not engaging.  The other IJN BBs were gas guzzing resource hogs doing nothing for the war effort, while Kongo-class were dispatched into the dark to tangle with the Allied fleet for Guadalcanal.

Kongo-class were not sitting idle somewhere taking up all the fuel and guzzling sake.  They were being put to work.  The other IJN BB classes were paperweight posers.  It was a Kongo-class Battleship that was the only IJN BB-class to shoot and hit an opposing Battleship.  At least Kirishima, as old, decrepit, and obsolete as she was, smacked around South Dakota and tried to act like a godd*mn Battleship.  Every other IJN BB-class did nothing but be a waste of manpower and resources.

To be fair, it's because they were the only capital ship that could keep up with a CV division. The Fuso, Ise and Nagato classes were to slow for CV fleet action. That said the Yamato and Musashi could have been used more for are considered far too valuable to risk until they had no choice

[PN]
[PN]
Beta Testers
6,624 posts
16,731 battles

@jpdillon510 I have all 4 arp BBs and the CAs they were free to those willing to put in the effort to win them and they have modified premium benefits. I plan to keep mine and use them if for nothing more than annoy those who cant stand their appearance.

[GLF]
Members
12 posts
3,340 battles
11 hours ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

@jpdillon510 I have all 4 arp BBs and the CAs they were free to those willing to put in the effort to win them and they have modified premium benefits. I plan to keep mine and use them if for nothing more than annoy those who cant stand their appearance.

That's perfectly fine! I think they have a cool skin, being  a person who watched the arpeggio series. I just think it's weird that they wouldn't take the time to remodel the ships at least a little, because they did so at least for the HSF Harekaze, giving her all three gun setups as in the anime, and the Musashi, giving her the updated bridge and reworking her secondary and Antiaircraft armament. My thing is that they can at least remodel the ingame line Kongo to better match her real-life counterpart. 

[WOLF3]
Members
20,970 posts
19,424 battles
On 8/21/2018 at 10:26 AM, Psycodiver said:

To be fair, it's because they were the only capital ship that could keep up with a CV division. The Fuso, Ise and Nagato classes were to slow for CV fleet action. That said the Yamato and Musashi could have been used more for are considered far too valuable to risk until they had no choice

The Japanese had a chance to employ their Battleships for the Solomon Islands / Guadalcanal Campaigns but the concern of airstrikes, especially from Guadalcanal and those USN CVs that kept on lingering around dissuaded Yamamoto from trying.  It was their only and best chance to do so.  I'm sure Yamamoto was quite aware of how many planes, etc. the US would eventually field given time, so it struck me as interesting that he would not commit the Big Guns of the IJN before the US Navy got too big for them to handle.  Guadalcanal / Solomons was their best chance to have that decisive battle.

The IJN waiting until late 1944 after IJN naval aviation had been crushed and most of their Destroyers dead was pretty stupid.  By the time they decided, the Americans were sailing around in a huge display of naval power that there was zero doubt who'd win in an all-out battle.

Guadalcanal falls.

The Solomon Islands chain fall.

New Guinea is getting rolled up.

Rabaul is isolated and rendered strategically useless.

Tarawa falls.

Truk gets raided.

Saipan falls as well as the loss of many new pilots the IJN had been bringing up, as well as several of their last precious Carriers.

Through all this, the Big Guns of the IJN just sat back and watched, except for the Kongo-class.

[GLF]
Members
12 posts
3,340 battles

Indeed, the Kongo sisters were the workhorses of the Imperial fleet during the second world war. However, mostly the destroyers were busy taking all the hits for all the other ships. The utter loss and devastation of Japan's destroyer fleet in the second world war is insane, and yet they fought so hard and so bravely even though supplies, fuel, and updated technology or even basic repairs were in dire straits. All things considered, it's pretty amazing how well they stood up, especially considering ship classes like the Fubuki class were dangerously topheavy and structurally unsound during their first construction. 

I think WG should go back anyways like they did for the USS Cleaveland, and "redo" the artwork on the older japanese ships. The newer Akizuki and her tier IX and X evolutions look so much better than the older IJN ships, it really shows. In the meantime, maybe they fix Kongo-san?~

Sign in to follow this