You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
SergiPovitch

Why does sonar work on ships that are not moving?

69 comments in this topic

Members
1,174 posts
3,153 battles

Doesn't it just send out a ping and if you hear a reponse then there's an object there? I don't get why it wouldn't work on ships that aren't moving.

What ACTUALLY doesn't make since is sonar working through islands, but that's more of a gameplay thing. 

Members
1,101 posts

Because ships make noise even when they're sitting still.

Hydro in WOWS is passive. It does not ping. Active search would instantly give away the position of the pinging ship.

Edited by TF77
  • Cool 2

[JUICE]
Members
822 posts
6,369 battles

Why do you see yourself in a mirror if you are not moving? It is the same basic concept if you are using sound waves to "see" under water.

[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles
32 minutes ago, SergiPovitch said:

Just seams dumb...

Seariousleigh?

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Supertester
19,618 posts
13,201 battles

Because this is a streamlined arcade arena shooter, not a sim.

• Cool 2

Members
3,042 posts
1,915 battles
1 hour ago, TF77 said:

Because ships make noise even when they're sitting still.

Hydro in WOWS is passive. It does not ping. Active search would instantly give away the position of the pinging ship.

then why the heck would ANYONE EVER WANT to use ACTIVE SEARCH?

In fact, WHY DOES IT EVEN EXIST/IS AN OPTION IRL?

Members
1,114 posts
5,855 battles

Why does one person simultaneously control all the guns and steering from the viewpoint of a hovercraft orbiting the ship?

Because it's a friggin viedo game bro.

• Funny 2

[2CUTE]
Beta Testers
1,731 posts
2,681 battles
2 minutes ago, legoboy0401 said:

It is a last resort.

[HINON]
Supertester
19,618 posts
13,201 battles
3 minutes ago, legoboy0401 said:

Because sometimes it does not matter if they know where you are, or if they already know you might as well.

Oh, wait. I FORGOT to capitolize RANDOM WORDS.

[PSP]
Members
6,670 posts
9,721 battles

I've done a lot of diving and can tell you that the ocean is a very noisy place. Therefore, something big like a ship will have all sorts of echoes bouncing off of it. It doesn't take all that sophisticated equipment either. Every morning I can hear the mockingbird that lives in the front yard ping its song off the building behind my shop. If I couldn't see I'd still know that there was something there by the song echo.

Edited by Snargfargle

Members
3,042 posts
1,915 battles
2 minutes ago, Lert said:

Because sometimes it does not matter if they know where you are, or if they already know you might as well.

Oh, wait. I FORGOT to capitolize RANDOM WORDS.

I use it occasionally for emphasis, Lert. Fight me if you will, but I find it useful to show where I would put the emphasis on if I was saying the sentences.

Yours above does not have any emphasis(literally say it aloud, and emphasize the capitalized words, and you will see it means nothing. There is no point to emphasize in it), so it does not do the same.

Back on topic though, I don't understand why anyone would ever use active search over passive.

Beta Testers
1,439 posts
1 hour ago, CarbonButtprint said:

Doesn't it just send out a ping and if you hear a reponse then there's an object there? I don't get why it wouldn't work on ships that aren't moving.

What ACTUALLY doesn't make since is sonar working through islands, but that's more of a gameplay thing. 

sonar does work 'through' islands. sounds carry through water better than through air and you can hear stuff 'around' an object JUST like you can hear a car engine running when its behind a wall. Radar oth, does not.. and thats the bullturd fantasy nonsense in this game. 

[2CUTE]
Beta Testers
1,731 posts
2,681 battles
Just now, legoboy0401 said:

I use it occasionally for emphasis, Lert. Fight me if you will, but I find it useful to show where I would put the emphasis on if I was saying the sentences.

Yours above does not have any emphasis(literally say it aloud, and emphasize the capitalized words, and you will see it means nothing. There is no point to emphasize in it), so it does not do the same.

Back on topic though, I don't understand why anyone would ever use active search over passive.

Because some ships emit less sound than others. Sometimes active is required to detect the enemy. Take for example Kilo-class submarines. They are notorious for their silent running capabilities. 

[HINON]
Supertester
19,618 posts
13,201 battles

Fight me if you will

So defensive. Also, your excuse of emphasis rings a bit hollow when you emphasize more than half of your post. Just comes across as yelling then. But then, caps lock is cruise control for cool.

Active sonar will pick up things passive will not.

Members
641 posts

For the OP

These were steam powered ships so the plants would be fired up and likely ready to put the ship in gear and go.....So while the props are not turning all the other noise not associated with the prop, shaft and grearing is operational. 

The real question is how do u know where the ship is with just a line of bearing? You need two ships with hydro and preferably three to triangulate a location.

Yes I know it can be done using lines of bearing as a single ship moves. I just want to give the OP even more to question. 

Next on WOWs conspiracy Theory....Are there already Submarines in the game?

Edited by Toxic_Potato

[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
4,131 posts
13,472 battles

Ships using this in the game are listening for the noise of torpedoes speeding through the water and ship engines in the vicinity! Ones ship makes less noise going slow or stopped than when at speed. Also sound travels better under water than in the air.

Sonar however as explained above sends out a ping and listens for the return echo from submerged object. For the time period of the game sonar also worked better at slow speed. For this reason ASW ships operated in groups of 2 or more so 1 can ping and the others attack.

Of course the short answer to your title question is Because it does!

[2CUTE]
Beta Testers
1,731 posts
2,681 battles
5 minutes ago, Toxic_Potato said:

For the OP

These were steam powered ships so the plants would be fired up and likely ready to put the ship in gear and go.....So while the props are not turning all the other noise not associated with the prop, shaft and grearing is operational. 

The real question is how do u know where the ship is with just a line of bearing? You need two ships with hydro and preferably three to triangulate a location.

You can attempt to get the distance by calculating the intensity of the ship's sound minus the ambient sound of the ocean to get a rough estimate. Emphasis on rough estimate. This can be done as the closer a ship, the louder it will sound. Problem is, there isn't much of a base line to go off of.

Edited by Dictonary

[SDIWO]
Members
1,076 posts
5,719 battles
17 minutes ago, legoboy0401 said:

Because sometimes you know the enemy is out there and you need to find them.

Also when it was first developed the technology to be able to hit a target wasn't what is there today. So ships could ping the ocean in WWII with near impunity because there weren't guided torpedoes...well at first. But that is a discussion that goes beyond telling you how wrong you are.

[PSP]
Members
6,670 posts
9,721 battles
6 minutes ago, Toxic_Potato said:

Next on WOWs conspiracy Theory....Are there already Submarines in the game?

When you are detonated by a shell that misses you it's not that that shell that sank you -- it's the torpedo from the unseen submarine that lurks beneath the waves. 

Members
641 posts

I did not know that WWII ships had data links that were good enough so one ship could fire based on another’s radar!   That is another one for the OP.....