You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Highvelocity4U

I have finally become enlightened.

16 comments in this topic

[FFLY]
Members
41 posts
5,909 battles

In a Yamato, green team down 5 ships in 6 minutes, yup, 5 ships in 6 minutes, (gearing, zao, montana, hindenburg and des moines), no dead red. We now have 40 seconds on the timer and it's 1v1. We lose by 5 points as the timer expires. I get second place with 164k damage and 2 kills. Top is a gearing and third is a minotaur. In a pm with the montana player he tells me he's crazy and likes to blast things so he went yolo.

Then I started thinking that just before this game, of my 4473 games I had 359 more losses than wins to make 50% winrate. Now, 4474 games with 360 more losses than wins. Way to many of those 360 losses are simply because most players don't give a crap about winning so I thought, why should I care? I spent from Oct 2017 to May 2018 with a perfectly increasing winrate line and for the past 3 months I would have trouble buying a win in the premium shop.

The point of this isn't, poor me, it's the unfortunate realization that only the smallest number of players care about the win. I guess most just like to hear the guns go boom. This game could be so much greater.

I also read a recent interview with the WG CEO where he said the games are about "blowing things up and having fun". I suppose I have to take a new approach, blow things up and have fun forgetting about stats. Also, clan battles chatting with some decent people is enjoyable.

At least my recent "enlightenment" will save me bunches of cash lol.

• Cool 3

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,922 battles
7 minutes ago, Highvelocity4U said:

In a Yamato, green team down 5 ships in 6 minutes, yup, 5 ships in 6 minutes, (gearing, zao, montana, hindenburg and des moines), no dead red. We now have 40 seconds on the timer and it's 1v1. We lose by 5 points as the timer expires. I get second place with 164k damage and 2 kills. Top is a gearing and third is a minotaur. In a pm with the montana player he tells me he's crazy and likes to blast things so he went yolo.

Then I started thinking that just before this game, of my 4473 games I had 359 more losses than wins to make 50% winrate. Now, 4474 games with 360 more losses than wins. Way to many of those 360 losses are simply because most players don't give a crap about winning so I thought, why should I care? I spent from Oct 2017 to May 2018 with a perfectly increasing winrate line and for the past 3 months I would have trouble buying a win in the premium shop.

The point of this isn't, poor me, it's the unfortunate realization that only the smallest number of players care about the win. I guess most just like to hear the guns go boom. This game could be so much greater.

I also read a recent interview with the WG CEO where he said the games are about "blowing things up and having fun". I suppose I have to take a new approach, blow things up and have fun forgetting about stats. Also, clan battles chatting with some decent people is enjoyable.

Everything goes hand-in-hand.

• Blow things up
  • Have fun
  • Gain more damage
  • Gain more XP
  • Less enemies to fight
  • Win the battle
  • Gain even more XP
  • Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[REVY]
Beta Testers
261 posts
1,680 battles

Unfortunately, the people that actually care about improving their gameplay are the super minority in this game. Most want to do what Viktor said, sail around and blow stuff up. Ironically, most people who spend money on the game try to improve somewhat to get the most out of their purchase. 

I remember a video that the CEO of WG stated that the number of players with prem time on the RUS server was around 10-20% of the player base. Therefore WG is funding most of its operations on the smallest sliver of players in this game. But without the masses of Free to Play players, all we would have is Bot to fight against, which in some instances would be more of a challenge. 

• Cool 1

[REVY]
Beta Testers
261 posts
1,680 battles
10 hours ago, VGLance said:

Truth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ( coming from an average player trying to improve in every aspect, just as I did in WOT)

[HINON]
Supertester
19,618 posts
13,201 battles

Thank you for becoming a less threatening opponent, I guess?

• Cool 1

[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles
2 hours ago, Highvelocity4U said:

[edited]. You play the way you’ve played because you want to improve and win- 

You wrote this post in frustration but I can read between the lines. You’ll play like a [edited] for a couple games but your pride will prevail. 

Take a bit of a break and come back to go at it again with renewed enthusiasm. 

Members
855 posts
3,733 battles

What if I told you that you can be the stat leader on your team, get the most kills/damage/and be the main reason your team lost the battle......

I have seen it time and time again and often the end game screen reinforces an illusion that somehow your not at fault and its all the other guys fault.....

Just the other day I saw this T8 BB roll far side of the map around islands, the rest of the guys in the game were t6 mostly and  due to the positioning of our top tier BB we didn't have the firepower to fight off the team. People died, they got numbers, and the other teams t8 was killing it. Of course 4 mins later once we are down like 5 ships our BB gets into a position where he can finish off targets and dish out some pain before going down. Of course he ends up being number 1 on the end game screen and thinks to himself if only he had a team.

• Cool 2

Members
855 posts
3,733 battles

Also BBs that can hit there target and route people win matches because hit rates matter. The Yamato deals massive damage so if you are hitting 30% and above in it you are going to carry matches. If you are hitting under 25% you are not carrying matches........If you want to win at t10 and above in a BB you need to improve your hit rate..... I am currently working on the same thing, heck my republic hit rate is similar to your yamato hit rate and I can tell you that either of us are carrying matches due to it.

[NG-NL]
Members
5,108 posts
8,510 battles
5 hours ago, Highvelocity4U said:

We all have those matches where 1 or 2 dummies snatch defeat from jaws of victory. Saw that yesterday, for example, on Islands of Ice in my Z52. Had an ECOM division on my team, and they did well through most of battle, but their yamato beached himself and made an easy target for the red DM, and that cost us the match. I was miffed about a victory thrown away.

[OO7]
Members
2,229 posts
9,787 battles
6 hours ago, Slumlord_Cheeto said:

What if I told you that you can be the stat leader on your team, get the most kills/damage/and be the main reason your team lost the battle......

I have seen it time and time again and often the end game screen reinforces an illusion that somehow your not at fault and its all the other guys fault.....

Just the other day I saw this T8 BB roll far side of the map around islands, the rest of the guys in the game were t6 mostly and  due to the positioning of our top tier BB we didn't have the firepower to fight off the team. People died, they got numbers, and the other teams t8 was killing it. Of course 4 mins later once we are down like 5 ships our BB gets into a position where he can finish off targets and dish out some pain before going down. Of course he ends up being number 1 on the end game screen and thinks to himself if only he had a team.

And if the bottom crappers on the team did the damage he did, you would have won.  Think about this logically.  What do you think will win you more games, 12 players on your team that contributed as much as the bottom person on the scoreboard or 12 players on your team that contributed as much as the top person?

He didn't cause the loss.  You can't score top on the team if you don't do considerable amounts of damage before dying.  The people to blame are the ones that DIDN'T do considerable amounts of damage before dying.  Had they done so instead of suiciding themselves, you'd win every match.

This is why you cannot provide a replay of all 12 players living past ten minutes and losing a match.  But there are countless replays you can provide where 6+ ships are dead before half the battle duration and it's a loss.  People really need to stop looking at the remaining alive ships as scapegoats for failure.  It's a coping mechanism that is as predictable as it is childish.

Some players take a little while to get themselves into a match, but that's no excuse for the rest of the players to over-extend and sink thinking if they charge valiantly the team will follow to glorious victory.  I have a simple formula:

If a player fails to live past 10 minutes*, it's 100% their fault and they need to take ownership.

If a player failed to live past 5 minutes* and they think anyone else is to blame, they should make an appointment to be checked for [edited].

* Not counting detonations

And of course I mean that the player should be doing damage throughout the match.  Losers love to counter this by saying, "Oh so I should hide behind an island and do nothing all game just to pass ten minutes."  Yeah because the ONLY other option to suicidal maniac aggression is going the other extreme by being so passive you're as good as AFK.  Again, stupid, childish and embarrassing thought process.

This game is based on a time formula of cooldowns.  Your guns only fire a certain number of times per minute.  Dying before half the battle duration and not recognizing how much a player handicaps their capacity to impact the win takes a pretty serious and [edited] of awareness.

The suicidal 20-30% survival rate maniacs that play this game like a rinse and repeat every 5 minutes first person shooter outnumber passive players by at least a factor of 10:1.  And that's being conservative.  The only reason it doesn't feel that way is because so many players are part of the problem and after they die, their immediate way to cope is to deflect the blame on the remaining alive ships.  You can see the gears smoking in their brain as they pan around the map looking for the target of their frustration.  Scanning and analyzing as to who looks to be the most likely culprit.  It's pathetic.  It's weak.  And it's a major reason why losers remain losers because they can't look inward for self improvement.

• Boring 1
  • Bad 1

[CUTIE]
Members
1,437 posts
6,175 battles

Far more players care about winning than most of this community believes.  You can see that in the game chat (in between all the insults & incrimination, I mean)--people don't call out priority targets or objectives, or ping the map around a perceived threat, or even insult each other when they don't care about the outcome of the battle.

One of the bigger issues lies in the "blame first" mentality pervasive in this game (and any other game).  Yelling at somebody for playing "incorrectly" is counter-productive when the player in question doesn't even know what they're doing wrong.  "Stop camping and get in the fight!"  "But I'm still in gun range, why should I move closer?  And every time I move in close I just get torpedoed and set on fire."  I played a tier 5 battle over the weekend where a member of a 3-player division spent better than 10 minutes insulting a pair of our teammates based on their play (he could do this because of course he died in the first 5 minutes), even going so far as to quote out their extremely low win rates.  I don't run anything which displays stats pre- or during games, but after the battle I looked at some profiles--the "expert" had over 5k battles with decent stats.  The two players he was insulting had less than 500 battles combined.  He could have seen that just as easily as any of their other numbers he quoted, but at no point did he mention their inexperience, at no point did he try to offer constructive criticism or suggestion...his concept on how to "fix" the issue lay in making the experience as miserable as he could for these two beginners.

That holds true for far more experienced players who just haven't "gotten it", too.  The odds are good that somebody who's sunk the time (and probably money) necessary to rack up over 10k battles has a desire to improve somewhere in there, but after having been berated, beaten down, and stat shamed for all this time they are less likely to actively try to play better than they would be in an environment with no external inputs at all.  Someone taking the time to offer helpful suggestions in an adult manner is far more likely to stimulate an improvement, whether it's during the battle or afterwards.  The same goes to recommending resources that will help to improve someone's play...when a teammate the other day asked about which enemy ships had radar, I mentioned that there's a chart with all of that information on the official Wiki which can be printed out for use during games.  He was extremely thankful for that information, after having asked the same question in numerous battles before & never once being told about that.

Getting back to that "stop camping!" comment above, a far more useful statement would be something along the lines of, "New Mexico, they need your help closer to the A cap.  No red DDs on that side of the map & you can use those islands on the 4 line to shield you from their BBs in the center".  Yeah, it's a lot more to type & there's a better than even chance the player in question isn't even paying attention to chat, but something like that is much more likely to get the player in question to contribute more during the battle vs. the stuff you usually see in game chat.  Who knows, it might even provide the spark that gets that player asking himself how you noticed all of that while he didn't  Which somewhere down the road could even lead to him doing things like turning on the "last known position" indicator on his mini map and paying more attention to where all the enemy ships are, rather than just the one he's shooting at, and, you know: actually becoming a decent player.

Members
18,996 posts
5,340 battles
5 hours ago, VGLance said:

He didn't cause the loss.  You can't score top on the team if you don't do considerable amounts of damage before dying. 

I disagree. You can certainly be the one-eyed man in the land of the blind, done it plenty myself.

I agree with your basic premise though, except I think it's more about your score itself. 

Not that I really worry about it too much, but I always figure that if I have 4-digit XP on the scoreboard, (free account) then I'm relatively blameless.

Similar to what you said, if you're near the bottom with such a score, your team probably won.

[ONAVY]
Members
870 posts
6,680 battles

Damage dealt is key....as was said...have to put ships down to win though not just the damage.

[OO7]
Members
2,229 posts
9,787 battles

It all comes back to the ultimate basic principal above all principles:

The better you are at maximizing damage while minimizing damage taken, the more you will win.

And players that cannot consistently live past ten minutes are failing miserably in that regard.

Members
1,217 posts
10 battles
16 hours ago, Highvelocity4U said:

I agree with you, which is why I quit two months ago. Randoms are the worst mode of game play and the game is built around them. Clan battles is a stripped down and limiting version of the game which I did not find enjoyable at all. Ranked is just as bad, forcing you into one or two tiers. For me I used to like to "Climb the ladder" where I would start at tier 4 and play until I got a win than move up a tier until I got to tier 10. Playing the same ship over and over is not fun for me, with over 5k battles I didn't have more than 240 battles in a single ship. I had over 160 ships in my fleet including over 40 premiums and I would try to play all t-4 through 10's once a month. The massive downturn in the quality of the players in the game made randoms a horrible in game experience....and that is what you heard from the sub 48% WR and sub 1000 WTR players.....I don't care about winning I am just hear to blow stuff up. 

Wargaming will have to rename this year from "The Year Of The Carrier".....which still makes me laugh.....to the year of the Shitlord. Catering to gamer trash is what killed this game for the serious player.

Members
1,217 posts
10 battles
7 hours ago, VGLance said:

And if the bottom crappers on the team did the damage he did, you would have won.  Think about this logically.  What do you think will win you more games, 12 players on your team that contributed as much as the bottom person on the scoreboard or 12 players on your team that contributed as much as the top person?

He didn't cause the loss.  You can't score top on the team if you don't do considerable amounts of damage before dying.  The people to blame are the ones that DIDN'T do considerable amounts of damage before dying.  Had they done so instead of suiciding themselves, you'd win every match.

This is why you cannot provide a replay of all 12 players living past ten minutes and losing a match.  But there are countless replays you can provide where 6+ ships are dead before half the battle duration and it's a loss.  People really need to stop looking at the remaining alive ships as scapegoats for failure.  It's a coping mechanism that is as predictable as it is childish.

Some players take a little while to get themselves into a match, but that's no excuse for the rest of the players to over-extend and sink thinking if they charge valiantly the team will follow to glorious victory.  I have a simple formula:

If a player fails to live past 10 minutes*, it's 100% their fault and they need to take ownership.

If a player failed to live past 5 minutes* and they think anyone else is to blame, they should make an appointment to be checked for [edited].

* Not counting detonations

And of course I mean that the player should be doing damage throughout the match.  Losers love to counter this by saying, "Oh so I should hide behind an island and do nothing all game just to pass ten minutes."  Yeah because the ONLY other option to suicidal maniac aggression is going the other extreme by being so passive you're as good as AFK.  Again, stupid, childish and embarrassing thought process.

This game is based on a time formula of cooldowns.  Your guns only fire a certain number of times per minute.  Dying before half the battle duration and not recognizing how much a player handicaps their capacity to impact the win takes a pretty serious and [edited] of awareness.

The suicidal 20-30% survival rate maniacs that play this game like a rinse and repeat every 5 minutes first person shooter outnumber passive players by at least a factor of 10:1.  And that's being conservative.  The only reason it doesn't feel that way is because so many players are part of the problem and after they die, their immediate way to cope is to deflect the blame on the remaining alive ships.  You can see the gears smoking in their brain as they pan around the map looking for the target of their frustration.  Scanning and analyzing as to who looks to be the most likely culprit.  It's pathetic.  It's weak.  And it's a major reason why losers remain losers because they can't look inward for self improvement.

You are so right, I had a game in the Alsace where I was with a DD two cruisers and another Battleship pushing into a cap point on a map. We ran into almost the entire enemy team. We were hopelessly outgunned, I immediately called for the DD to lay smoke and for the rest of us to turn out and kite away. I was the ONLY one to do so, predictably the four ships that stayed there were killed in less than 5 minutes and I had to listen to all of them call me a coward and how I was the reason they were dead. Of course my team got squashed, I was the last survivor and topped the team by over 800 points to the second place teammate. These fools seemed to think that standing in place a fighting a vastly superior enemy force is what you are supposed to do.