You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Scrapyard_

Players turning off chat and map pings.

56 comments in this topic

[FORM]
Members
265 posts
5,775 battles

I am finding from players I have talked to that more and more players are using the mod to turn chat of in matches. Now there is a new mod that also removes being able to see or hear any pings on the minimap. I do not see how this is good for the game. I understand that some players may hate being called out for doing bad in a game or having bad stats so they turn off chat, but turning off those things will make you even a worse player in my opinion. You see these folks running around in game now never say anything or respond to anything in chat. They get accused of being bots, but i am more thinking now they just have chat turned off and are totally oblivious as to what is going on. The sad part is i am seeing this more and more. I feel this is a bad direction and will only hurt the game in the long run. Yes, players raging in chat can be annoying, but just learn to ignore them. You can't improve by sticking your head in the sand. 

• Cool 3
  • Bad 7

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,922 battles

Listen, and understand! Those player are out there! It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear! And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead!

It's annoying and I don't like it too but it can't be helped. There is only so much you or me can do to change their minds. On the other hand, given that some of them are willing to talk on the forums instead shows how much they want to be listened to. :cap_horn: If they don't want to talk, then they won't. If I can see them playing effectively, I won't say anything. If I see them doing nothing useful and not... listening to my request to go east because there is NO ONE WEST, then they will get that report. I will always ask them. If it is a CV, I will ask him if he is a bot. If they don't answer, then I send the report. If they say, (vulgar word) off, then I won't report them.... maybe... because at least they proved they are not a bot and that at least someone is playing.

• Funny 1

[RTXN]
Beta Testers
717 posts

I have a much better time with it off.  I just use the mini map more.  

Chat is used more for insulting other players than it is coordinating efforts.  That or by the Admiral Halseys in game who think they know it all - therefore ordering everyone else as cannonfodder while they get kraken.  Pretty sad that the community has come to this!

If I want to coordinate efforts, I do it with my clan mates over our private channel in TS.

• Cool 6
  • Bad 2

[SF-E]
Members
356 posts
10,083 battles
21 minutes ago, Scrapyard_ said:

but turning off those things will make you even a worse player in my opinion. You see these folks running around in game now never say anything or respond to anything in chat.

This game, unfortunately, has a lot of dedicated potatoes. These potatoes are awful and have no desire to improve at all. I'm not sure how your fix a lack of pride, motivation to improve, or desire to win with chat and F-keys.

• Cool 3

[REVY]
Beta Testers
261 posts
1,680 battles

I get chat banned regularly asking DDs to cap and BBs to push. You know, the purpose of their ship class. Potatoes just want to sail around shooting islands and torping 10km further than their max range. There is no fixing that, it only makes the players trying to improve their gameplay more frustrated. I'm tempted to turn off chat myself and find a mod that takes me to port as soon as I die automatically so I don't have to watch the rest of the abortion unfold. 

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,922 battles
3 minutes ago, firemedic1428 said:

I get chat banned regularly asking DDs to cap and BBs to push. You know, the purpose of their ship class. Potatoes just want to sail around shooting islands and torping 10km further than their max range. There is no fixing that, it only makes the players trying to improve their gameplay more frustrated. I'm tempted to turn off chat myself and find a mod that takes me to port as soon as I die automatically so I don't have to watch the rest of the abortion unfold. 

You can also just leave the battle after you die :cap_wander:.

• Funny 1

[SRPH]
[SRPH]
Members
572 posts
1,195 battles
6 minutes ago, firemedic1428 said:

I don't mind getting advice, as I'm fairly new...but the method of delivery that some people use to deliver that advice, or just plain hurl nonconstructive insults, is what probably leads to people turning off chat and/or reporting the offending party for a chat ban.  Apparently, there are those that block you even if you deliver the advice in a helpful manner, so yeah, the system isn't perfect. 

How much less salt would there be, though, if everyone could talk in voice comms to the whole team though, and not just in a division?  I find in another game I play online that ingame team comms rarely result in salt because we're able to communicate easily, so if we lost, we all know we just lost to a better organized team, not because someone couldn't communicate vital information in time via text.

• Cool 3

[REVY]
Beta Testers
261 posts
1,680 battles
9 minutes ago, Vangm94 said:

You can also just leave the battle after you die :cap_wander:.

I could, but it's like a car wreck that you just can't take your eyes off of. 

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[REVY]
Beta Testers
261 posts
1,680 battles

No on voice comms, have you ever played COD or the like? Kids screaming and blaring background music on an open mic. Nope. Didnt use it in WOT either, only Teamspeak for Clan Wars. 

[SIM]
Members
2,682 posts
4,423 battles

Chat in WoWs is largely useless for the purposes of coordinating strategy or fostering teamwork in random games. It’s a decent social tool when people aren’t being salty jerks, but it certainly shouldn’t be mandatory. People who wish to opt out shouldn’t need a mod to do so. 

• Cool 1

[DBM]
Members
4 posts
12,928 battles

For those giving advice... most times i dont need or want your advice... the thing is .. if i want it ill ask for it... if your a better player ... great ... nothing to do with the manners of not forcing an opinion on others.   maybe i have a different plan than yours and i hate having to try to type it to you ... i realize your in the game too ... but thats not my fault / responsibility.  If you want to change the game ... deal with WOW.  So you cant change anything even if you conplain? Again, this is where  missplaced anger/ frustration gets spilt onto people who didnt promise you a perfect or game that mild melds with how you think "your" game should go.  i aploligive for venting on you if this isnt warranted.  i realize i may be criticizing the exact think i may be doing now.

• Cool 3
  • Bad 2

[REVY]
Beta Testers
261 posts
1,680 battles
1 minute ago, sooplow said:

For those giving advice... most times i dont need or want your advice... the thing is .. if i want it ill ask for it... if your a better player ... great ... nothing to do with the manners of not forcing an opinion on others.   maybe i have a different plan than yours and i hate having to try to type it to you ... i realize your in the game too ... but thats not my fault / responsibility.  If you want to change the game ... deal with WOW.  So you cant change anything even if you conplain? Again, this is where  missplaced anger/ frustration gets spilt onto people who didnt promise you a perfect or game that mild melds with how you think "your" game should go.  i aploligive for venting on you if this isnt warranted.  i realize i may be criticizing the exact think i may be doing now.

Do you not enjoy the game more when your team communicates, works together and steamrolls the red team? I know I do, but unfortunately, it doesn't happen but once every hundred games or so. 

• Cool 2

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,922 battles

So is going far SW alone behind a giant island in a battleship where there is no enemy part of your plan too? I already scouted the area with my bombers and confirmed that there is no one there and north of there. We already know the entire enemy force is lemmings NE, so why are you there?

• Bad 1

[DBM]
Members
4 posts
12,928 battles

most of the time people who say "go hiding behind an island" hvae no idea what you were doing until they happen to see oh... their behind me and must not be doing anything at all while i take damage;... total crap... if your so concerned with me... whos playing your ship? .. and even IF someone is hiding behind some island or someother sub par stategy in your opinion... play your game and let them play theirs. .. same damn force your opion on players who didnt say "hey tell mewhat to do next" duh

"

• Cool 1
  • Bad 2

[REVY]
Beta Testers
261 posts
1,680 battles

most of the time people who say "go hiding behind an island" hvae no idea what you were doing until they happen to see oh... their behind me and must not be doing anything at all while i take damage;... total crap... if your so concerned with me... whos playing your ship? .. and even IF someone is hiding behind some island or someother sub par stategy in your opinion... play your game and let them play theirs. .. same damn force your opion on players who didnt say "hey tell mewhat to do next" duh

"

Because more often than not this person is in a full health BB with the cap being rushed and an opposite flank melting and said BB cant put shots on anything. In the end, WOWS is a multiplayer game with 24 people playing a single player mindset. 

[DBM]
Members
4 posts
12,928 battles

to firemedic ... yes i do ... but people are nice about it only once in a blue moon so i end  up not putting any credence in what the know it alls wanna tell me.  im not saying you or van are like this but it just gets extremely frustrationg to read the typical crap with insults

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,922 battles
Just now, firemedic1428 said:

Because more often than not this person is in a full health BB with the cap being rushed and an opposite flank melting and said BB cant put shots on anything. In the end, WOWS is a multiplayer game with 24 people playing a single player mindset. 

Pretty much. I am a CV, I am support, I see all. I point out the enemies weaknesses, I point out our weaknesses. Time is everything and the more time spent doing nothing is more time for the enemy to win. Who's controlling my ship? Me. Who can see the entire battle because they have eyes over the enemy? Me. Do I want to win? Yes I do. That is how I play. Do you not want to listen to me? Then ignore me while I keep pointing you out til the moment we lose.

• Bad 1

Members
573 posts

I choose to turn off Chat because the chat box interferes with the gaming screen.

I turn off everything that would or could block my view of the game.

In random battles there is no "Teamwork"

The game is based upon wam bam thank you maam

12 individuals out to improve their game not yours

The you suck uninstall crowd are a small selfish group of elitests

i am as good as I will ever be ( disabilities have limits)

When the game becomes filled with sh*t I will leave for another

Until that time I will play and won't care about what you want

I am a selfish POTATO 

• Cool 2

[SALVO]
Members
17,714 posts
18,486 battles
24 minutes ago, firemedic1428 said:

No on voice comms, have you ever played COD or the like? Kids screaming and blaring background music on an open mic. Nope. Didnt use it in WOT either, only Teamspeak for Clan Wars. 

Exactly this.  No way would I want an open mike with 11 other strangers.  When you get on teamspeak or Discord with clan mates, an unruly person can be booted from the server or the clan.  But with 11 other strangers, you're bound to constantly run across trolling bleep-holes of one flavor or another.  So, like you, I'm not interested in voice comms for randoms.

• Cool 1

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,922 battles
1 minute ago, Crucis said:

Exactly this.  No way would I want an open mike with 11 other strangers.  When you get on teamspeak or Discord with clan mates, an unruly person can be booted from the server or the clan.  But with 11 other strangers, you're bound to constantly run across trolling bleep-holes of one flavor or another.  So, like you, I'm not interested in voice comms for randoms.

Given that voice comms are division only, it doesn't matter much. Chat itself is all is needed for a random game like this.

[SALVO]
Members
17,714 posts
18,486 battles
1 hour ago, Scrapyard_ said:

I am finding from players I have talked to that more and more players are using the mod to turn chat of in matches. Now there is a new mod that also removes being able to see or hear any pings on the minimap. I do not see how this is good for the game. I understand that some players may hate being called out for doing bad in a game or having bad stats so they turn off chat, but turning off those things will make you even a worse player in my opinion. You see these folks running around in game now never say anything or respond to anything in chat. They get accused of being bots, but i am more thinking now they just have chat turned off and are totally oblivious as to what is going on. The sad part is i am seeing this more and more. I feel this is a bad direction and will only hurt the game in the long run. Yes, players raging in chat can be annoying, but just learn to ignore them. You can't improve by sticking your head in the sand. 

Personally, I think that these sorts of mods should be banned.  And instead, a different tack should be used.  Don't allow chat between teams.  And turn off chat for dead players.  This would end a very sizable portion of the offensive chat.  And one more thing, if you use the in-game ability to mute a player, it should include any function key canned messages as well.  It's very annoying to not be able to do something to stop the jerk who decides he's going to troll his team by pinging the map every few seconds FOR THE ENTIRE GAME!!!

• Cool 1

[REVY]
Beta Testers
261 posts
1,680 battles
4 minutes ago, Vangm94 said:

@firemedic1428 I think we scared him off

It wasn't even directed at him, just a generalized statement on the types of players I try to get on the same page as the rest of the team, especially below tier 6. Then again we have Tier 10s that have no clue on positioning or not giving broadsides to a Yamato division, so there is that. 

[REVY]
Beta Testers
261 posts
1,680 battles
1 minute ago, Crucis said:

Personally, I think that these sorts of mods should be banned.  And instead, a different tack should be used.  Don't allow chat between teams.  And turn off chat for dead players.  This would end a very sizable portion of the offensive chat.  And one more thing, if you use the in-game ability to mute a player, it should include any function key canned messages as well.  It's very annoying to not be able to do something to stop the jerk who decides he's going to troll his team by pinging the map every few seconds FOR THE ENTIRE GAME!!!

WOT turned off All chat a while ago, but the only thing that helps is an angry red from telling the other team where his camping BBs are. Most insults are from the friendly team.