You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
TheGreatBlasto

Lopsided Scores: What's up?

22 comments in this topic

[BROOK]
Members
1,634 posts

I have seen more lopsided scores over the past month than in my previous two years playing this game.    

They typically start with one team or the other losing 4 to 6 ships before the opposing team loses even one.

By the end, the score is something like 1000 to < than 100. I have seen games that are 1000:25. Even 1000:0.

I also see games where one team is sunk and the other team has 10 or more ships left.

At least it's the Reds about half the time that get wiped out.

:Smile_bajan2::Smile_child:

[APOC]
Members
1,979 posts
6,423 battles

Imbalances in MM have existed for a lot longer than a month. These types of scores have been active for a while and a variety of reasons can be thrown out as to why. In the end, WG is going to have to do some serious work to address the issues and it will be unlikely that it happens any time soon.

Members
1,571 posts
6,979 battles

This one time my team zeroed out the enemy in just over 6 minutes.  We didn't lose a single ship!

That happened about 2 years ago.

Members
2,112 posts
509 battles
1 minute ago, Harv72b said:

This one time my team zeroed out the enemy in just over 6 minutes.  We didn't lose a single ship!

funny.... was on a team TODAY and one yesterday... lost ONE ship... zero'd enemy in about the same time...
It does happen... when the planets align... the WOWS RNGEZZUS is called up and accepts your offerings.... 

[BROOK]
Members
1,634 posts
30 minutes ago, DasBootcamp said:

Imbalances in MM have existed for a lot longer than a month. These types of scores have been active for a while and a variety of reasons can be thrown out as to why. In the end, WG is going to have to do some serious work to address the issues and it will be unlikely that it happens any time soon.

I realize that but I don't recall seeing such massacres before. It seems like a recent phenomenon.

[OPRAH]
[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
6,127 posts
16,167 battles

@TheGreatBlasto I have been here for 3 years now and what you are reporting is nothing new to me. I seen it in battles many times from the time I started.

[SALVO]
Members
21,044 posts
21,114 battles
1 hour ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

I have seen more lopsided scores over the past month than in my previous two years playing this game.    

They typically start with one team or the other losing 4 to 6 ships before the opposing team loses even one.

By the end, the score is something like 1000 to < than 100. I have seen games that are 1000:25. Even 1000:0.

I also see games where one team is sunk and the other team has 10 or more ships left.

At least it's the Reds about half the time that get wiped out.

Nah, it seems the same to me, and I've been playing since Open Beta.

Beta Testers
2,530 posts
21,686 battles
53 minutes ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

I realize that but I don't recall seeing such massacres before. It seems like a recent phenomenon.

Joey , don't you just hate it when your entire side gets blown out like a bunch of potatoes ……..

[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,397 posts
14,932 battles

Ever since world of tanks, match maker has picked the winning team by stacking it with better players on one side.

Since I love a challenge, i do not let it bother me anymore.

Just play your ship and pray your battleships know how to win, instead of farm damage.

Members
5,202 posts
1 hour ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

It isn't. 

[5D]
Members
2,758 posts
16,718 battles

Maybe OP is finally surviving long enough in matches that he's actually seeing the end of them now...lol

Sorry....couldn't resist Blasto :cap_rambo:

Edited by 1SneakyDevil

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
4,147 posts
9,746 battles

It's a random MM, sometimes one side gets stacked with better players. Or one side gets bad RNG (3 consecutive dets, 2 DD's, 1 BB). Sometimes the "pros" with the match maker monitor or whatever they call this version of XVM don't take the enemy team seriously enough (Quote "how do we blow an 85% chance to win?"). Sometimes after a couple ships go the others are too out numbered and out flanked. Sometimes one team doesn't PLAY THE DAMN OBJECTIVE (40% of my teams the last two weeks haven't even tried to take objectives, and only one team using that strategy won somehow). The list of potential reasons that are Tinhat rigged mm theories is pretty large, I'm sure I didn't cover every factor.

[TMS]
Members
2,467 posts
25,194 battles
2 hours ago, Harv72b said:

I have been in under 5 minutes zeroed battles.

[SYN]
Members
5,096 posts
12,294 battles

Nothing at all new about it.  Been happening since day one.

Though I admit I've been seeing more zeroed out battles recently, both ways, while playing less often.

[TF57]
Members
1,380 posts
4,096 battles

Nothing is up. It's your confirmation bias. Scores have always (and always will) been lopsided more often than not.

It's the game design.

Imagine any team sport, where, once one side scores, the loser has to remove a player.

A soccer team who scores 2 goals to nil now plays 11 on 9... wouldn't you expect the game to end even more lopsided?

A NFL team scores  4 touchdowns to 1; the winning team has 11 on the field vs 8...  ...which is likelier - a fightback by the outnumbered side later in the game, or the side with more players increasing the winning margin both in points and players?

The game is designed so "failure cascades" aka landslides should be common. A close fought game should be the exception.

Beta Testers
8 posts
1,710 battles

It's the Snowball Effect. 

Take two equal teams and on most maps you get a split of good and not so good players, all it takes is one side to have more players coordinating, one mistake made. That puts one ship out of the fight, then the other ships on that flank need to pick up the slack. But they get focused down, while they may severely damage or kill one or two the damage was done by a simple mistake or imbalance in relative skill on one side. 

Or that day the halfway decent players are just having the game of their life and it just works out that ships die easily on one side causing an imbalance in a flank.

Most of it is Confirmation Bias, as most people only ever really remember the bad ones and rarely remember the two or three games that were extremely close right up until the last five minutes where it may have ended up 4-0 or 5-0 but was 4-5 or 5-4 up until then and either bad luck or good play caused it to seem like a lopsided victory one way or the other. 

[BROOK]
Members
1,634 posts
2 hours ago, KURT_WOLFF said:

Joey , don't you just hate it when your entire side gets blown out like a bunch of potatoes ……..

Hey joey, when do you usually play?  I'd love to sink you a few more times.  

:cap_popcorn:

[JUICE]
Members
824 posts
6,375 battles

I have seen this many times in the almost three years I have played but have seen some close ones as well. I just had my second Draw ever in a random battle a couple weeks ago.