Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
awesomeartichokes

WG: 10 Reasons (+ a bonus reason) why TK/ own team damage system should just be removed

82 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Members
253 posts
10,880 battles

To WG:

This is a general plea to remove same team/team kill damage ability from the game

Reasons:

  1. Reduce Information overload/management: Reduce the amount of things noob players need to manage, torpedoes may get blocked by running into teammates but ... minor point.
  2. Remove need to arbitrate Intention: The tk code penalties can not take into account accidental tk. (nor can they) 
  3. Increase pure fun: Tk penalties take the fun out of a game for the noob who accidentally does some tk damage AND the player accidentally getting tk damage
  4. Customer support headaches/cost: Administering tk penalties just generates irritation
  5. Churn reduction/player retention: No tk makes the game more friendly and probably will reduce player churn
  6. Encourages close quarters team play: Example, a DD looking to help a BB teammate brawling with another BB might want to launch torpedoes. But can't because possible tk damage to the teammate.
  7. Reduces in game (and chat) toxicness: A player having a bad day can only take it out on the opposing team.
  8. TK is NOT a selling point: TK is NOT a selling point! The code to dish out TK damage is doing NOTHING for player retention, or acquisition! Said a (desirable) player NEVER: "I want to play a game BECAUSE of the ability to TK!" TK is ONLY a negative feature.
  9. Encourages POSITIVE player behavior: There is no outlet for negative actions or actions that could be considered negative!
  10. TK code has a coding/maintenance cost: TK administration in-game requires code and coding effort. This code has to be QA/debugged. This effort is better spent on POSITIVE features! 

BONUS REASON:

It works well in scenarios: ... and no one asks for TK ability in scenarios!

  • Cool 7
  • Boring 2
  • Bad 18

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
152
[B2P]
Members
522 posts
14,199 battles

Yeah, I can see it now.  All the noob DD drivers will be like "torps are ready - launch.  torps are ready - launch.  torps are ready - launch"  I don't really have any targets in range, but you never know, I might hit something out there!

  • Cool 4
  • Funny 1
  • Bad 1
  • Angry 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,395
[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
16,173 posts
9,527 battles

There needs to be a punishment for bad shots but I can go with removing team damage and make it reflect onto the shooter. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
4,202 posts

There should be a punishment for a CA who decides the perfect spot is right in front of a BB about to shoot.  Or a BB who decides now is the perfect time to get between that DD and the enemy.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
61
[WOLFC]
Members
203 posts
14,846 battles

Random and co-op battles without TK would feel like riding a bike with training wheels. I want TK to continue in the game. So I guess reason 8 is true for some players and not true for others.

I think scenarios are a special case because players are often restricted to a small area of the map at any one time and because there are so many bot ships and planes to deal with all at once. Having no TK in scenarios seems to be the right decision but that doesn't mean the reasons carry over to random and co-op.

  • Cool 2
  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32
[HYDRA]
Members
63 posts
9,104 battles

If u can't shot or launch torpedoes without damaging a teammate, play another game.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
330
[SYJ]
Members
968 posts
2,243 battles

I can personally promise, if team damage is removed, my team mates will be torped more than the enemy. 

 

And I'm not even a troll

  • Cool 1
  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,454
[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,589 posts
3,884 battles
7 minutes ago, DreadRaybo said:

Yeah, I can see it now.  All the noob DD drivers will be like "torps are ready - launch.  torps are ready - launch.  torps are ready - launch"  I don't really have any targets in range, but you never know, I might hit something out there!

I love this completely idiotic claim that has no basis in anything but is used as an argument by claiming something that would never happen would happen all the time.

 

It shows a clear lack of understanding regarding the actual use of torpedoes.

 

Do you shoot your guns on every cooldown even if you don't think they'll hit something?

  • Cool 2
  • Bad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
152
[B2P]
Members
522 posts
14,199 battles
Just now, KiyoSenkan said:

I love this completely idiotic claim that has no basis in anything but is used as an argument by claiming something that would never happen would happen all the time.

 

It shows a clear lack of understanding regarding the actual use of torpedoes.

 

Do you shoot your guns on every cooldown even if you don't think they'll hit something?

I see it currently quite often in mid tiers.  Ships shooting off torps from ranges they have no chance of getting a hit from.  Sometimes I try and point it out to the captains "hey, your torps have an 8km range. the enemy is 15km away!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
61
[WOLFC]
Members
203 posts
14,846 battles
7 minutes ago, KiyoSenkan said:

Do you shoot your guns on every cooldown even if you don't think they'll hit something?

I will often launch predictive torps when I can't see a target in the hopes of tagging a ship in transit. I don't often land torps this way but when I do, it's most satisfying.

Of course, I check the mini map first to make sure I don't have a friendly in the way.

Edited by Rumple010

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
300
[BLKRS]
[BLKRS]
Alpha Tester
483 posts
2,180 battles
4 minutes ago, KiyoSenkan said:

I love this completely idiotic claim that has no basis in anything but is used as an argument by claiming something that would never happen would happen all the time.

 

It shows a clear lack of understanding regarding the actual use of torpedoes.

 

Do you shoot your guns on every cooldown even if you don't think they'll hit something?

The amoutn of times I see DD's launch random spreads of torpedoes is... nearly every single game...

The amount of times I see a ship randomly fire their guns evne though they wont hit anything... maybe once a day... and usually they are doing it on purpose to reveal their location for a reason...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
855 posts
3,716 battles

The current system is perfect, the game has already dumbed itself down over the years so that people don't have to think. This is why people finish at the top of losing teams and play the team even though they may be a major cause as to why they lost. 

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,454
[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,589 posts
3,884 battles
2 minutes ago, Rumple010 said:

I will often launch predictive torps when I can't see a target in the hopes of tagging a ship in transit. I don't often land torps this way but when I do, it's most satisfying.

Of course, I check the mini map first to make sure I don't have a friendly in the way.

That's not what I meant and you know it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
61
[WOLFC]
Members
203 posts
14,846 battles
4 minutes ago, KiyoSenkan said:

That's not what I meant and you know it.

Nope, didn't know it. I will take you at your word that I have misinterpreted your post. Please take me at my word that I did not do it deliberately.

  • Cool 1
  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,454
[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,589 posts
3,884 battles
2 minutes ago, Rumple010 said:

Nope, didn't know it. I will take you at your word that I have misinterpreted your post. Please take me at my word that I did not do it deliberately.

The person I quoted at the start was operating under the flawed assumption that every destroyer will fire torpedoes on every cooldown, with complete disregard for anything else going on. So they wouldn't, in that scenario, be trying to catch someone passing behind an island or hiding in smoke.

 

It takes a known noob behavior (Mentioned by a few other responses to my post) and assumes every torpedo-armed ship will do it every time. Which is nonsense. A smokescreen thrown up to try and avoid actual discussion on this topic. They know it's nonsense, but they cling to it because for some reason they're attached to the ability to kill teammates and removing this would apparently ruin the game. Despite, you know, it being removed in Operations and not ruining the game.

  • Cool 3
  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,042 posts
1,915 battles
1 minute ago, KiyoSenkan said:

The person I quoted at the start was operating under the flawed assumption that every destroyer will fire torpedoes on every cooldown, with complete disregard for anything else going on. So they wouldn't, in that scenario, be trying to catch someone passing behind an island or hiding in smoke.

 

It takes a known noob behavior (Mentioned by a few other responses to my post) and assumes every torpedo-armed ship will do it every time. Which is nonsense. A smokescreen thrown up to try and avoid actual discussion on this topic. They know it's nonsense, but they cling to it because for some reason they're attached to the ability to kill teammates and removing this would apparently ruin the game. Despite, you know, it being removed in Operations and not ruining the game.

Them: "but, but, muh historical accuracy!"

 

Me: "Oh, shut it. This game isn't a simulator and you use that excuse all the time for the currently OP state of radar. It's kind of funny, see, how you violently disown that argument the instant it doesn't benefit you anymore."

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,454
[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,589 posts
3,884 battles
2 minutes ago, legoboy0401 said:

Them: "but, but, muh historical accuracy!"

Me: "Oh, shut it. This game isn't a simulator and you use that excuse all the time for the currently OP state of radar. It's kind of funny, see, how you violently disown that argument the instant it doesn't benefit you anymore."

Most people venomously defend team damage because they don't want to play a game where they can't kill their own teammates if said teammates vex them somehow. A prominent forum poster quit last month because he got a TK penalty for "disciplining poor players". I've personally been TK'd (mostly by battleships) for not playing my destroyer the way they wanted (I wasn't close enough to smokescreen, I went the wrong direction at the start, I mounted Repair Team instead of Smoke, etc)

 

There is literally no positive thing team damage brings to this game.

 

The oft-cited "positives" always wind up being "A thing that happens with team damage enabled anyway", like "Oh it teaches people to be responsible with torpedoes" (no it doesn't, there are loads of "I accidentally torpedoed someone" posts every day).

  • Cool 1
  • Bad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,042 posts
1,915 battles
1 minute ago, KiyoSenkan said:

Most people venomously defend team damage because they don't want to play a game where they can't kill their own teammates if said teammates vex them somehow. A prominent forum poster quit last month because he got a TK penalty for "disciplining poor players". I've personally been TK'd (mostly by battleships) for not playing my destroyer the way they wanted (I wasn't close enough to smokescreen, I went the wrong direction at the start, I mounted Repair Team instead of Smoke, etc)

 

There is literally no positive thing team damage brings to this game.

 

The oft-cited "positives" always wind up being "A thing that happens with team damage enabled anyway", like "Oh it teaches people to be responsible with torpedoes" (no it doesn't, there are loads of "I accidentally torpedoed someone" posts every day).

This is true, but I was addressing one of the ways they hide their love of being able to kill teammates that irk them under a cloak of pretend concern for the continued survival of the game's current state.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,196
[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
6,675 posts
10,044 battles

No, lets not move to dumb down the game. It is already a fairly straight forward arcade shooter. 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
253 posts
10,880 battles
37 minutes ago, _1204_ said:

I can personally promise, if team damage is removed, my team mates will be torped more than the enemy. 

Since you are making this PERSONAL promise -

  1. why would YOU fire torps at a teammate if the torps did NOTHING?
  2. Who would care?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,454
[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,589 posts
3,884 battles

One alternative would be to still fine players for hitting other players, but just not actually have damage applied to the person being hit. Though this opens it up for abuse via trolls intentionally steering into torpedoes to ruin another player's income.

 

Apparently the ability to screw players is somehow required.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
572 posts

I agree with the OP and the 10/+bonus reasons

And I will add:

We need more RADAR Ships...with longer duration and farther reach.

I wait for the Down votes

YAK4gQu.gif

the more I get the less you can use  

  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
253 posts
10,880 battles

I love all the posters saying that removing TK will somehow "dumb down the game" ...

  1. I have seen only 1 vid showing off a TK - and it was a "you have to be mad" Jingles video that showed the NEGATIVE aspect of TK
  2. This is not a simulation.
  3. TK does not improve any good players WR .....

Therefore: all the players loving TK are ????

  • Bad 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×