You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Wayoverthehill

My Atago T-10 CA

65 comments in this topic

Members
1,100 posts

Hay WG,  Why not give the Atago some buffs and just make it a T-10?  I think that is only fare to some of us that bought it, since you screw it so many times with crapy MM.

• Cool 3
  • Funny 1

[_ARP_]
Beta Testers
631 posts
5,870 battles

How do you figure it gets screwed may I ask? If it gets placed in tier 10, you should see it as an opportunity to do more damage and earn more credits. I don't think the Atago has gotten screwed at all.

• Cool 2

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
2,099 posts
6,285 battles

No ship is bad, only the COs who command them. It says a lot if you can't adapt to her when uptiering. Actual uptiering won't help her at all.

[HINON]
Supertester
7,656 posts
8,088 battles
4 minutes ago, Panic512 said:

How do you figure it gets screwed may I ask? If it gets placed in tier 10, you should see it as an opportunity to do more damage and earn more credits. I don't think the Atago has gotten screwed at all.

Don’t forget more xp.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
23,344 posts
3,895 battles

Would be better if WG just fixed the MM so tier 8 didn't encounter tier 10 80% of the time.

5 minutes ago, Panic512 said:

For many players, the benefit does not outweigh the frustration. Note it is not the frustration of "Being in a tier 10 match", it is the frustration of "Being in a tier 10 match 80% of the time".

Edited by KiyoSenkan
  • Cool 2

[ARGSY]
Members
12,478 posts
7,908 battles
30 minutes ago, KiyoSenkan said:

it is the frustration of "Being in a tier 10 match 80% of the time".

I can cope with that frustration if at least four other ships are Tier VIII, but anything more ghastly than that and I start to treat it as an exercise in target practice until somebody sinks me.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
23,344 posts
3,895 battles
4 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I can cope with that frustration if at least four other ships are Tier VIII, but anything more ghastly than that and I start to treat it as an exercise in target practice until somebody sinks me.

I eventually lose patience with it and retreat to tier 4, but I'm starting to run out of low-tier lines to grind through.

[LUCK]
Members
1,696 posts
23,769 battles
1 hour ago, Turbotush said:

Hay WG,  Why not give the Atago some buffs and just make it a T-10?  I think that is only fare to some of us that bought it, since you screw it so many times with crapy MM.

They did...it's called the Zao.

• Funny 1

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
2,099 posts
6,285 battles

Being "top-tier" never means the game is easier. Being uptiered never means the game is impossible. It is up to the player ability to use that ship to their full advantage.

[_ARP_]
Beta Testers
631 posts
5,870 battles
48 minutes ago, KiyoSenkan said:

Would be better if WG just fixed the MM so tier 8 didn't encounter tier 10 80% of the time.

For many players, the benefit does not outweigh the frustration. Note it is not the frustration of "Being in a tier 10 match", it is the frustration of "Being in a tier 10 match 80% of the time".

I don't understand that frustration, yea itll change how aggressive you can be, but the Atago has the concealment if setup properly to hold her own just fine in tier 10 matches, regardless of how many she is in.

[WOLF4]
Members
794 posts
8,176 battles
1 hour ago, Turbotush said:

Everyone's opinions and perceptions will vary - but I find Atago to be more than capable in dealing with T10 MM.

bBE3Ofl.png

Truth be told - I would far-and-away rather take Atago into a T10 heavy match than Ibuki!

Atago has excellent credit earning potential - especially when up-tiered

P5gGT4B.jpg

...and when played to her strengths - is quite capable of meaningful contributions under those circumstances.  In those matches she is top tier - she can absolutely be a match influencing force to be reckoned with.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
23,344 posts
3,895 battles
3 minutes ago, Panic512 said:

I don't understand that frustration, yea itll change how aggressive you can be, but the Atago has the concealment if setup properly to hold her own just fine in tier 10 matches, regardless of how many she is in.

If you don't understand it, than just understand that it exists and is not an isolated thing.

Members
3,641 posts
6,700 battles

It very well might happen. Atago as of now is not the strongest, but certainly is very capable as a tier 8 cruiser. With some buffs to her armor profile and her gun characteristics (range&dpm) she can perform decently well. 
However, what really puts the nail in the coffin of that idea is her historical background. Atago-class heavy cruisers are technically treaty limit cruisers of the 1930s era, being at tier 8 is already a very very prestigeous recognition of her power. It makes no historical sense placing Atago at tier IX, and certainly not tier X.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
1,249 posts
8,019 battles
1 hour ago, KiyoSenkan said:

The sad thing is, that's not even an exaggerated number. I can truly understand the frustration people have at their tier 8s essentially being tier 10s in matchmaking's eyes. The Atago is a good ship and all, but it has a few things that limit it's usefulness in a t10 engagement. Most other t8s don't even fare half as well as Atago in t10, as well.

[LWA]
Members
729 posts
11,012 battles

WG should make T8 and T8 only a +1/-1 when it comes to match maker.  I mean why not?  T9 is already a +1/-2.  It would be smoother transition for players to ease into the top tier, instead of "school of hard knocks".  It really sucks playing a T8 in a T10 game.  It wouldn't be so bad if a few T10s were pulled down into a T8 match, but most of the time it is a few T8s that get pulled up to a T10 match (which gives you the feeling that you are nothing but filler). 

If WG makes T8 a +1/1- then I would surmise that T8 would be the most popular tier played.

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
2,099 posts
6,285 battles
3 minutes ago, db4100 said:

WG should make T8 and T8 only a +1/-1 when it comes to match maker.  I mean why not?  T9 is already a +1/-2.  It would be smoother transition for players to ease into the top tier, instead of "school of hard knocks".  It really sucks playing a T8 in a T10 game.  It wouldn't be so bad if a few T10s were pulled down into a T8 match, but most of the time it is a few T8s that get pulled up to a T10 match (which gives you the feeling that you are nothing but filler). 

If WG makes T8 a +1/1- then I would surmise that T8 would be the most popular tier played.

Sounds boring.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
23,344 posts
3,895 battles
5 minutes ago, Vangm94 said:

Sounds boring.

And why is that? "Not as many different ship types", a problem that solves itself over time as WG shoves out more lines and tier 8 premiums?

Are you forgetting that several people currently avoid tier 8 because of the MM, and therefore any adjustment made to it that lessens Tier 8's frustrating aspects would increase the player population in this tier, thus increasing diversity?

Or are you having too much fun smashing defenseless ships in your T10s and don't want them taken away?

The current matchmaker is actively strangling playerbase growth in tier 8 and in tier 5. The status quo is completely unsustainable. Something has to change or this game will continue to decline.

Edited by KiyoSenkan
  • Cool 2

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
2,099 posts
6,285 battles
Just now, KiyoSenkan said:

And why is that? "Not as many different ship types", a problem that solves itself over time as WG shoves out more lines and tier 8 premiums?

Are you forgetting that several people currently avoid tier 8 because of the MM, and therefore any adjustment made to it that lessens Tier 8's frustrating aspects would increase the player population in this tier, thus increasing diversity?

Or are you having too much fun smashing defenseless ships in your T10s and don't want them taken away?

• I enjoy a challenge
  • It can't be helped
  • Richelieu is probably my best Battleship that I do enjoy playing no matter if I am downtiered and uptiered. I have Iowa but I hate how Tier IX+ becomes passive. I don't smash the defenseless, I just die alone.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
23,344 posts
3,895 battles
5 minutes ago, Vangm94 said:
  • I enjoy a challenge
  • It can't be helped
  • Richelieu is probably my best Battleship that I do enjoy playing no matter if I am downtiered and uptiered. I have Iowa but I hate how Tier IX+ becomes passive. I don't smash the defenseless, I just die alone.

The problem that I was trying to point out is better explained in my edit.

9 minutes ago, KiyoSenkan said:

The current matchmaker is actively strangling playerbase growth in tier 8 and in tier 5. The status quo is completely unsustainable. Something has to change or this game will continue to decline.

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
2,099 posts
6,285 battles
1 minute ago, KiyoSenkan said:

The problem that I was trying to point out is better explained in my edit.

The game has more or less been steady since the MM change and all of the changes that have occured up til now. 4k - 16k players throughout the weeks so I would not consider that a decline. For me:

• Tier I is too low
  • Tier II is too low
  • Tier III can be enjoyable
  • Tier IV can be enjoyable
  • Tier V I want to be uptiered because I can make proper usage of ARP Haruna's range and because I feel that the maps are too small for some of them
  • Tier VI is my favorite tier and I enjoy it a lot because you get a mix of low skilled and high skilled players
  • Tier VII is not my favorite tier and barely play it because there are not many shps I like
  • Tier VIII is another of my favorite tier's because I enjoy my ships at that tier and the challenge I face whether that is a Yamato or Radar. Much like Tier VI, you get a mix of low skilled and high skilled players.
    • This is dynamic whether I am toptier or uptiered
  • Tier IX+ I hate with a passion because of how much the tactics change. Everyone plays passive, no one moves, no one caps. Iowa is no fun, Musashi is no fun. I don't smash through defenseless ships because there is no one with me to do it. I sink alone. So I avoid Tier IX+ as much as I can. I enjoy playing Shimakaze but that is it.
    • This is passive no matter what
  • Boring 1

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
23,344 posts
3,895 battles
2 minutes ago, Vangm94 said:

The game has more or less been steady since the MM change and all of the changes that have occured up til now. 4k - 16k players throughout the weeks so I would not consider that a decline. For me:

It actually has not been steady. Overall population has been steadily declining since launch, with spikes during "vacation" times like Summer, Christmas, and Spring Vacation but each annual spike is also lower than the previous year's.

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
2,099 posts
6,285 battles
4 minutes ago, KiyoSenkan said:

It actually has not been steady. Overall population has been steadily declining since launch, with spikes during "vacation" times like Summer, Christmas, and Spring Vacation but each annual spike is also lower than the previous year's.

There are multiple factors to that so I would not know. Only WG would know why. Is MM part of that? Probably. Is CVs part of that? Probably. Is Radar part of that? Probably. Is people getting bored of the game? Probably. So I would not know. The game is plenty active even if it is steadily declining.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
23,344 posts
3,895 battles
16 minutes ago, Vangm94 said:

There are multiple factors to that so I would not know. Only WG would know why. Is MM part of that? Probably. Is CVs part of that? Probably. Is Radar part of that? Probably. Is people getting bored of the game? Probably. So I would not know. The game is plenty active even if it is steadily declining.

The fact that it's steadily declining and "I don't know which of these negatives is affecting it" is no reason to just double down and keep any of those negatives in place without changing them.

It's still declining. Changing any one of those negatives into a positive is definitely not going to hurt things.