You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
lloyd1701

Go Navy: What Went Right

8 comments in this topic

[BUOY]
Members
224 posts
8,421 battles

WG really hit it out of the park with the Go Navy! event and, IMO, this has been the best event they've held to date that I've been around for (my previous favorite being Halloween 2017). They smoothed out and otherwise avoided most all of the really awful 'structural' issues that plagued last year's Fire vs Water with the daily team and rewards refresh as vs the cumulative loyalty system. To that end the facts that team points missions were mostly all geared to be reasonably achievable without either incredible luck or distorting gameplay too much (yes, there were a few of those, but nobody gets it 100% right right out of the gate) and that you could earn team points in ALL game modes was much appreciated.

The end reward of a T10 permaflage which didn't require grinding the ENTIRE event if you didn't want to / weren't able to was nice and the crates you could earn were great.

The integration with and showcasing of the Arsenal was well done.

I really liked most of the graphical aesthetics of this event and the way it all tied together with the main game (since, unlike Space and Halloween which are separate modes, this involves the main game) as opposed to feeling tacked on like Fire vs Water.

=========

Suggestions for future events like this

1. The biggest failure of the event was the compensation multiplier for the 'weaker' team that never overcame the bandwagon / loyalty effect and thus the Sharks will go 26-0. Maybe instead of the multiplier resetting each day based on that day's numbers it ramps up to a maximum and 'sticks' there so long as the weaker team loses, and if/when the weaker team wins it ramps down rather than disappearing. Put another way, if the Sharks won 5 days in a row the Eagle's multiplier would ramp up say 20% each day to a 100% maximum... and lets say like as happened this still wasn't remotely enough to overcome the Sharks until after enough Sharks players have maxed out loyalty, but lets say on day 18 enough Sharks players max out loyalty and switch such that the 100% bonus puts Eagles over the top. Day 19 about as many people join the Eagles as the Sharks and the bonus has decayed to, say, 50%. Day 20 more people join the Eagles than the Sharks but there is no bonus for either side since the Eagles still have the benefit of the banked multiplier such that it is only one Day 21 when more people still join the Eagles that the Sharks bonus starts to ramp up.

2. Give definite dates for the start and the end of the event and any sales related to the event so people don't have to infer whether it is 25 or 26 days. Also, you lost out on some RL money from me in ending the sale of the premium crates this morning rather than with the patch release (or something to that effect) by having such a screamingly tight timetable with the end of this event and exchanging tokens on the Arsenal. A week to exchange tokens after the end of selling premium crates would've been better.

3. The worst RNG in the event was related to the recruiter, I missed two days due to this (and then made up a day thanks to a glitch), in the next event the recruiter should only offer the crate to switch while the extra loyalty points (or not) are tied to the daily refresh and whether you're still on the team you picked at the start of the day.

4. Points should be equal per tier rather than scaling as they were, especially since many of the missions (15 secondaries / 5 consumables to name two) were easier at higher tier than lower.

• Cool 3

[ADR]
Members
4,317 posts
13,545 battles

Several other things that went totally wrong;

Horrible random missions  that didn't make sense for certain ships.      Secondary hits  for ships with crap secondaries.  Spot X number of torpedoes in some ships that can't get close enough until the very end.

Horrible Team Point criteria.    Win, Kill, and Heroics  leaving  some ship classes screwed  IE DD's some Cruisers.  IT was all based on  ME ME ME what I can do for ME instead of  team oriented.

[WOLF2]
Members
1,591 posts
13,622 battles
42 minutes ago, Shadowrigger1 said:

Several other things that went totally wrong;

Horrible random missions  that didn't make sense for certain ships.      Secondary hits  for ships with crap secondaries.  Spot X number of torpedoes in some ships that can't get close enough until the very end.

Horrible Team Point criteria.    Win, Kill, and Heroics  leaving  some ship classes screwed  IE DD's some Cruisers.  IT was all based on  ME ME ME what I can do for ME instead of  team oriented.

How many things ever go smoothly on the first run, especially with a new concept - try NEVER :)

They attempted something new and got people involved +1 for effort and imagination

Next time, who knows when, it'll be even better I'm sure 

In any case, they probably are learning a ton about how much sugar vs salt to put in the hamster's water bottle :)

[ADR]
Members
4,317 posts
13,545 battles
2 minutes ago, Commander_367 said:

How many things ever go smoothly on the first run, especially with a new concept - try NEVER :)

They attempted something new and got people involved +1 for effort and imagination

Next time, who knows when, it'll be even better I'm sure 

In any case, they probably are learning a ton about how much sugar vs salt to put in the hamster's water bottle :)

it is not something new, they have done this type of event before,    The Kamikaze Pearls.  clash of the Elements.

Edited by Shadowrigger1

[WOLF2]
Members
1,591 posts
13,622 battles
1 minute ago, Shadowrigger1 said:

it is not something new, they have done this type of event before,    The Kamikaze Pearls.   Battle of the Elements.

So they're using a formula and spicing it up just enough to keep people coming back for more - sounds like every other business model I know and have seen CHECK!

Oooo Kamikaze Pearls … I wasn't here for that - give me THAT ONE :)

[PVE]
Members
6,446 posts
11,447 battles

I wouldn't say they hit it out of the park. Far from it actually. Lots to be desired in this event. BUT with that said we could win lost of decent free stuff so that part was good.

[WOLF2]
Members
939 posts
7,706 battles

It was good in the regards of free stuff - another marathon event.  Play, earn points, get stuff.

Perm camo?  Good.   Single-use camos?  Good

That's about it, and I'm not complaining.    

It wasn't about competition.   Other than the mascots, there wasn't any competition.   Had they split the Eagles or Sharks into separate factions, so that as an Eagle, you were fighting Sharks, that might be something.    But when you have a mixed group on every round, you're not competing against anything but the campaign objectives.  

That's why it was perfectly fine to go 0-18 before I switched to Sharks.   Guess I could have switched early, to get a few more daily containers.    I ended up with a perm camo and bunches of single-use camos.    

And an Eagle flag.   Gotta fly it as a second flag on my cruisers and BBs to show - well, I got skunked!

[FAILD]
Members
427 posts
1,608 battles

One of the big winners was the small clans IMO. The oil that was handed out for all of the containers was a big boost.