You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
IronMike11C4O

Pensacola needs a buff

81 comments in this topic

[KP]
Members
408 posts
202 battles

Either turret rotation or reload should bring this brand new ship relatively speaking out of being a cellar dweller.

Probably doesn't need both buffs but one or the other.

[AAA]
Members
675 posts
8,060 battles

rudder shift IMO

I found the t7 easier to play than the new t6. minor turret rotation buff too

[WOLF7]
Members
11,900 posts

Worst idea ever to give it OP guns, and battleship turret rotation. It's like WG has run out of balance ideas....

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
20,444 posts
11,346 battles

It desperately needs a turret turn buff. It is currently exactly where the Furutaka was before it had it turrets buffed. It can't maneuver even a little bit and still use its guns. Even if it is historically correct real ships did not bow tank.

[TDRB]
Members
2,834 posts
8,412 battles
11 minutes ago, IronMike11C4O said:

Either turret rotation or reload should bring this brand new ship relatively speaking out of being a cellar dweller.

Probably doesn't need both buffs but one or the other.

The slow reload & turret rotation does make the Pensacola more difficult to play, especially when battling DD's. But those ten 8" guns remove big chunks of HP from cruisers & DD's. I do agree the turret rotation speed could be buffed without creating a balance issue.

Members
180 posts
2,725 battles

Tons of folks got it free when they moved Cleveland to T8. I think WG staff knew exactly what they were doing... designing a free ship that was so frustrating to play that people would burn free XP to get on to New Orleans.

• Cool 1

[TDRB]
Members
2,834 posts
8,412 battles
3 minutes ago, KiyoSenkan said:

It's still better than Aoba, you guys can relax.

That comment would only be justified if Pensacolas only battled Aobas.

• Cool 1

[13CLM]
Members
331 posts
2,111 battles

Why not just learn to play the ship as is? 

• Cool 2

[O_O]
Members
804 posts
5,337 battles
24 minutes ago, KiyoSenkan said:

It's still better than Aoba, you guys can relax.

I must go and play some Aoba.  Apparently it has become terrible in the last two years.

-R

[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,397 posts
14,922 battles

She is much stronger at tier 6 than she was at tier 7.

Play at max range and use the rudder and throttle to throw off enemy shots.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
20,444 posts
11,346 battles
3 minutes ago, Markk9 said:

Good players will but that doesn't mean it doesn't need a buff somewhere and I think it should be turret turning. You never experienced the painfully slow turrets that the Furutaka used to have and the Pensacola seems to have inherited, you have the choice of shooting or maneuvering.

• Cool 2

Beta Testers
2,530 posts
21,683 battles
7 minutes ago, Markk9 said:

You must be joking right ???

[TBOW]
Members
1,840 posts
12,498 battles

Pepsi Can is in a better place at T6 then she was at T7.  And the AP can rip open cruisers who are stupid in how they driven.   A minor turret turn buff might not be bad, but she is in a better place, just like the NOLA is at T7.

[TDRB]
Members
2,834 posts
8,412 battles
2 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

Good players will but that doesn't mean it doesn't need a buff somewhere and I think it should be turret turning. You never experienced the painfully slow turrets that the Furutaka used to have and the Pensacola seems to have inherited, you have the choice of shooting or maneuvering.

^^^^^This^^^^^^

[KP]
Members
408 posts
202 battles
10 minutes ago, GrimmeReaper said:

Pepsi Can is in a better place at T6 then she was at T7.  And the AP can rip open cruisers who are stupid in how they driven.   A minor turret turn buff might not be bad, but she is in a better place, just like the NOLA is at T7.

She maybe in a better place but the fact remains it's still the worst performing tier 6.

• Boring 1

[ARGSY]
Members
11,950 posts
7,605 battles

I ground through to her while she was still a T7, so when the split happened she was IIRC fully researched but with her XP close to zero (because that's what I had left on the T6 Cleveland after unlocking her). I think mine's got about 50K on her now, but other things got in the way of me playing her as much as I wanted to. 

I didn't get enough T7 time on her to work out what she was like back then. She's great fun in co-op, where the bots are a bit less attentive to danger and more inclined to charge stupidly. I bought a permacamo for her so the New Orleans would have one after the split, and she got the Cleveland's hand-me-down when that happened. There may  be better cruisers, but in gun terms she is the most heavily armed cruiser at Tier 6 by a significant margin. Her captain needs a bit of love, but first I have to get back in the mood for grinding my 19 pointer.

• Cool 1

Members
5,202 posts
3,461 battles
1 hour ago, awiggin said:

Worst idea ever to give it OP guns, and battleship turret rotation. It's like WG has run out of balance ideas....

They need a "sacrifice back camping BB" clickable gimmick that murders a friendly BB and splits his Health Pool up amongst the people actually left playing the game.

I could see that really helping out teams a greater deal more than 2 or 3 BB looking for the Zero line.

Don't include the unused heals in the equation though, that would just be OP.

• Funny 2

Beta Testers
1,611 posts
9,876 battles
On ‎8‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 9:29 AM, Bianchi4Me said:

Tons of folks got it free when they moved Cleveland to T8. I think WG staff knew exactly what they were doing... designing a free ship that was so frustrating to play that people would burn free XP to get on to New Orleans.

I have to respectfully disagree with both the facts and the logic.

First, the Pensacola was not a "free" ship by any definition.  Before the split, people earned the Tier 6 in the American Cruiser line.  They spent credits and XP comparable to other Tier 6s to obtain it.  Likewise, no one prior to the split had spent a single point of XP or a single credit on any of the new cruiser line ships, let alone Tier 8 levels of XP and credits.  Thus, when the split happened, people got what they had earned, the Tier 6 in the existing line, and what they got for "free" was a Tier 8 ship in the new line.

Second, even if there was intent in "designing a 'free' ship that was so frustrating to play that people would burn free XP" to bypass it," that strategy wouldn't work.  The Pensacola was already widely considered one of the most frustrating ships to play, so people were already using free XP to bypass it when it was a Tier 7.  Thus, anyone who would free XP past it now would have been just as likely to have free XP'ed past it before, resulting in no real gains.  Worse, anyone who got the Pensacola as a result of the split also got the Tier 8 Cleveland in the new line.  That means they did not have to spend any XP (free or otherwise) to jump straight to Tier 8 in the new line.  That includes any XP spent for the Tier 6 and 7 which they can now bypass completely.  Thus, any marginal free XP spending that could have resulted by people skipping the Pensacola would be way more than offset by the fact that no one had to spend any XP (free or otherwise) in the CL line to get to the Cleveland.

If this was someone's grand scheme to increase free XP spending, they need to be reassigned to other duties. :Smile_Default:

[13CLM]
Members
331 posts
2,111 battles
1 hour ago, BrushWolf said:

I'm working through the Pecola now. Yes, it's not a front line cruiser. I have been playing her between the BB's and other cruiser, use AP only, keep the red ships at 8 to 10K. I will not be keeping this ship, so it's just a play through ship.

[AHOY_]
Beta Testers
6,793 posts
3,975 battles

Pensacola is fine. A glass cannon requiring some patience to bring in her impressive 10x 203s into play. That being said, I wouldn't mind if she was given a stock gun set that was the 8x 203s instead, trading the alpha for slightly better traverse.

[ARGSY]
Members
11,950 posts
7,605 battles
50 minutes ago, Sotaudi said:

Second, even if there was intent in "designing a 'free' ship that was so frustrating to play that people would burn free XP" to bypass it," that strategy wouldn't work.

It would work even less because at Tier VI she doesn't need as much Free XP to bypass her as she did at VII.

If I had a vote as to which ship I would least like to grind again, the Pensacola would NOT, repeat NOT, be at the top of that list. The Karlsruhe tops it for me, followed a long way back by the Emerald.

• Cool 1

[B-W-M]
[B-W-M]
Members
469 posts
5,418 battles

When I opened up a Tier 7 Cola like a can of sardines in my T6 Cleveland, I exulted.

When I bought my T7 Cola, I earnestly played her so that type of situation wouldn't happen to me. Too many times.

As it turns out though - you can complain about your poor driving skills while lambasting the boat you can't drive by calling for a buff in its handling.

And if you can handle the boat just fine, you know it doesn't need any more help - that's why we play the game any ways - defeat the enemy. Not "defeat that ship."

[FOXEH]
[FOXEH]
Alpha Tester
6,550 posts
12,281 battles

Ship's fine as is. provided you know how to play peekaboo around islands!:fish_book:

check new comment!:cap_look: