You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Landsraad

Level With Me, Comrades

15 comments in this topic

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,189 posts
4,996 battles

So I'm a player that tries to do a little bit of everything. I've played destroyers, battleships, carriers, heavy cruisers, light cruisers, you name it. I feel most at home when in a light cruiser that clicks for me, something like Worcester or Cleveland, but I love ships of most all types and I've gone at least some ways down every line. Every line except ONE.

I have not been able to bring my self to try out the Russian DDs. Maybe it's the way they were introduced, maybe it's the fact that I always feel dirty after stomping someone in my Kirov or Molotov (which I only got because I'll be damned if I call myself a "cruiser main" and not have at least a taste of each cruiser line), maybe it's the lingering long memories of "Russian bias" and complaints about the Khabarovsk. I don't know honestly. But here we are. 0.7.8 will be out soon, and unless I really like a ship I've always preferred to have a backup that I'm grinding at the same time/tier so that I don't burn out. With the British DDs coming out in 0.7.9, I figure I may as well bite the bullet and try to sail for glorious motherland.

So my main question is... What are these ships like? I know the basic "short range torps, Russian railguns, ludicrous speed" combo but what are the nitty gritty details? What are the things I should know about these ships that you don't see just from running into them in randoms?

For the record, I'm thinking that if I do stick with the Soviet DDs long-term I'll being going for the Grozovoi side of things. I've just got this weird thing where, while I like gunboats, I also like being able to stealth-torp when I need to, especially in high-tiers.

As for my previous DD experience: I feel most at home with the Germans thus far, though Hartsuharu was great fun and I'm enjoying Shiratsuyu. I also like my Harekaze. USN DDs are... Okay, but they're hit and miss for me. I'm waiting to continue my Farragut grind until I get a 10 point captain. Pan Asian ships just don't really hold my attention for long, despite the fact that this is the line that finally got me to "get" DDs. I can't figure out what the heck I'm doing wrong in Fubuki, that ship and I are just on different wavelengths.

• Cool 1

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
11,044 posts

Strangely enough... I finally reached and purchased the Grozo... the entire line plays differently than other dd lines primarily because they don't have the best stealth nor range for their torpedoes... IMO the line to the Grozo is a gun-boat line with torpedoes for backup. 

The line's speed can be hilarious, especially once you load in the special purchased module for speed boost (when available) and a speed flag. Turning in tight circles is not as easy as other dd lines. 

The other side of the line leading to the Khab? I probably won't pursue it for a good, long while. The Grozo has about every module you can imagine worth having on a DD: repair, smoke, defensive fire, repair party and engine boost. The proper camo brings her conceal to 6.0km which is not bad. 

You man want to consider the new IJN line that's finally complete... some have said they'll be quite potent. 

I have a Gearing - great fun if you like stealthy drops (I do). Fletcher was (once) considered the best DD in the game... dunno if that's changed. 

Thing is you have a lot of choices available to you. Definitely look everywhere for information on how they play before committing. Nothing like grinding a line only to reach the pinnacle and realize it was all hype. 

Members
366 posts
5,492 battles

DD Gunboating

At tiers VI and VIII you can get away with closing to around 9-10 km.

At tiers IX and X you really don't want to be closer than 11 km 

Follow a stealthy DD into a cap and cover him. Don't ever be the first person into a cap or around an island. 

I have the most success by providing close artillery support for a cap and helping to kill the enemy dd more quickly, or setting charging BBs on fire until they turn around (this works well and you can make enemy support for a cap push evaporate) 

Once the enemy has been pushed back from the cap, you can capture it if your sneakier dds haven't done so already.

Your torps are useful when kiting. You can fire them at a pursuing ship about 1.5 to 2km outside your effective range depending on the pursuing ships speed. This works well. 

You are strongest at defending an area.

Don't push until it is clear that a flank has collapsed.

Almost never push a cap in the middle of the board until it is obvious that red has lemming trained somehwere else

at tier VI-VIII you need to stay back from USN and PA dds because their superior rate of fire is a problem, but at tier IX and X, that isnt as much of a problem. Udaloi, Tash, grozzo, and khab pretty much dominate, assuming equal skill levels between captains. 

Get ready to eat BB AP pens like they are candy. Especially at tier IX and X. 

Never. Never. Never ever ever be the first one in a cap. 

You gotta really learn to be psychic with torps. Gotta know when they are coming because your high speed and poor turn radius makes dodging them very difficult. I even run vigilance on my Khab. 

Fires are your bread and butter. Always take DE. Always always always. Your job is to keep enemy ships burning to use up their damage controls, mess up their concealment ranges, and deter them from pushing and supporting their team. Light one or two fires on one ship, then switch to the next, then the the next, and so on. 

When cycloes happen, team up with your friendly BBs and you will live a little longer. (approx 2 minutes). 

It may be tempting to use your speed to "lone wolf" or grab isolated caps. This can be useful in isolated situations, but generally you still need to stay with your fleet for protection and to do typical DD roles of screening for torps or enemy DDs.

You absolutely are supposed to hunt down IJN DDs at any level. Find them and kill them before they torp you or your bbs. 

When hunting enemy DDs, don't let your speed get you too close to the red team. 

There is more, but I can't think of it now. Hope this helps.

You'll die a lot in the beginning. These DDs take some getting used to. 

[HYDRO]
Members
3,472 posts
4,940 battles

Cant give much advice on the Grozovoi line, I will soon start playing it. Regardless of the line, make sure to use the special upgrade for speed boost. This gives you 3 minutes of speed boost, making your life much easier if you are gunboating.

[WGA]
-Members-
1,117 posts
3,681 battles

I'm working my way to the Grozovoi as well. I'm currently on the Udaloi and I'll admit that it takes some skill to use the thing. I've been so used to how USN and IJN DDs play that I sometimes end up with miserable games in my Udaloi. I only recently figured out to play the ship like a super fast cruiser and not rely on traditional DD tactics.

@_@

[MIA-I]
Supertester
2,876 posts
5,427 battles

Soviet DD Play?  Since you're used to cruisers, let's put it this way.

You play your soviet DD like an open water cruiser that doesn't have a citadel.  Seriously, they're super light cruisers more then DD's.  With the exception of the Ognevoi.  Ognevoi is a Torpedo boat.  But take it with a grain of salt.  I'm up to the Kiev and Udaloi myself, still trying to wrap my head around'em.  But basically being a support DD instead of a frontline DD has given me more success. 

[-BRS-]
Members
1,021 posts
15,879 battles

If you want to play your Soviet destroyer more like an actual destroyer, let me know. Everyone here is going to tell you to play them as a super light cruiser.

• Cool 1

[WOLF4]
Members
794 posts
8,176 battles
2 hours ago, Lightninger said:

If you want to play your Soviet destroyer more like an actual destroyer, let me know. Everyone here is going to tell you to play them as a super light cruiser.

You should let him know.

Udaloi and Groz (those two in particular) are so much more than "HE spamming mini-cruisers".  Playing them strictly as such will not wring out their true strengths.

Its just my opinion, of course - but I would suggest Groz is the most interesting DD currently in the game - with a range of strengths, and tools that can exploit quite a number of match situations.

[-BRS-]
Members
1,021 posts
15,879 battles
42 minutes ago, ddoubletapp1 said:

You should let him know.

Udaloi and Groz (those two in particular) are so much more than "HE spamming mini-cruisers".  Playing them strictly as such will not wring out their true strengths.

Its just my opinion, of course - but I would suggest Groz is the most interesting DD currently in the game - with a range of strengths, and tools that can exploit quite a number of match situations.

Well playing Soviet destroyers as destroyers takes a whole different setup of upgrades and captain skills than normally advocated and different strategies and tactics as well so if someone truly wants to learn, I'd rather they just message me first showing they actually have some real interest.

[INTEL]
Beta Testers
1,796 posts
5,298 battles
Just now, Lightninger said:

Well playing Soviet destroyers as destroyers takes a whole different setup of upgrades and captain skills than normally advocated and different strategies and tactics as well so if someone truly wants to learn, I'd rather they just message me first showing they actually have some real interest.

Hey, I still want RU DD lessons!  But you went and sucked me into nightly full Ops divs instead... :Smile_teethhappy:

[-BRS-]
Members
1,021 posts
15,879 battles
1 minute ago, Fishrokk said:

Hey, I still want RU DD lessons!  But you went and sucked me into nightly full Ops divs instead... :Smile_teethhappy:

Lol, just hop on to the discord and let me know you want lessons and we'll hop into another voice channel to talk. Didn't we already talk once before about it?

[WOLF4]
Members
794 posts
8,176 battles
5 minutes ago, Lightninger said:

It would mostly be whispering into the wind, anyway.

The perceptions - in regard Soviet DDs - that setting BBs afire is job one, or that unless spotted the entirety of the match one isn't playing the boat to advantage, or that HE is the Soviet DD's primary damage dealer - are ingrained and strongly held.

[-BRS-]
Members
1,021 posts
15,879 battles
1 minute ago, ddoubletapp1 said:

It would mostly be whispering into the wind, anyway.

The perceptions - in regard Soviet DDs - that setting BBs afire is job one, or that unless spotted the entirety of the match one isn't playing the boat to advantage, or that HE is the Soviet DD's primary damage dealer - are ingrained and strongly held.

Yes, it does fall on mostly deaf ears but I have had people tell me that they have found my posts on here for Soviet destroyers very useful and possibly better than what a lot of others have said. Of course I have also had people respond back to me in threads where I'm giving out advice and saying I am giving bad advice as well which I find really funny.

[INTEL]
Beta Testers
1,796 posts
5,298 battles
2 hours ago, Lightninger said:

Lol, just hop on to the discord and let me know you want lessons and we'll hop into another voice channel to talk. Didn't we already talk once before about it?

We did (it was rather late and I believe I may have had a couple...).  I'll hit you up next time I see you.

I was mostly joking, though.

(Mostly.)

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,189 posts
4,996 battles

So it's sounding like the Grozovoi line is more what I'm looking for. I mean, I do like using my guns and have been having a blast with Akizuki, but it's also nice to be able to fall back on stealth-torping and sneakiness when needed.

I'm on Podvoisky right now. Only played one game in her but HOLY %^&* I'VE GONE TO PLAID! How the HFIL do you handle a ship this fast? It's nuts! I'm not complaining, but this will take some getting used to.