You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
kingadam

Looking for a clan

48 comments in this topic

Members
7 posts
479 battles

I'm looking for a competitive clan that does clan wars. 

I'm 21 years old.

I have ts3 and a mic.

I'm on 7 days a week. 

• Cool 2

Beta Testers
112 posts
1,366 battles

Kingadam -

I hate to be bearer of bad tidings, but enjoying life in a clan isn't as simple as making a post and hoping for the best. In fact a "looking for clan" post could yield poor results because:

1. FEW RECRUITERS READ THESE: Most clans post a recruitment message, and wait for applicants to come to them. Relatively few clan recruiters come here every day to see who has posted. Recruiters like it much more when potential recruits come to them.
  2. RECRUITERS WHO DO READ THESE OFTEN WANT SPECIAL THINGS: Those who read "looking for a clan" are looking for a specific person to fill a hole in their clan roster. The chances of you being that person are poor.
  3. TROLLS WANT TO POUNCE: There is a good chance that a hater will ridicule you and your post, just so people will pay attention them. Any attention is valued by trolls, even negative responses. I've seen veterans with great stats get hammered by trolls here. Running into this can sour you on the entire game, so beware.
  4. A CLAN WHO WANTS YOU MAY BE UNDESIRABLE: You might not mesh with the clan's style and culture for innumerable reasons, but you might join anyway, just top try them out.  The results could be bad, again souring you on the game.

Instead, I recommend you do your homework and read the first two or three pages the clan recruiting posts. You'll learn a lot about the different types of clans, Slowly build a list of "possible" clans you can approach. Many clans will want to interview you, so knowing why you like a clan will impress them.

You'll find that over half the clan advertisements you can forget about because your stats (battles fought, win rate percentage, survival percentage, average damage/battle, average XP/battle, top ship tier you can play, etc.) don't fit into their parameters.

With the remaining clans, I suggest noting down these things:

• Clan abbreviation and name
  • Web address of their recruitment post (for future reference)
  • Web address of clan website (if any)
  • Discord or Teamspeak server name/address
  • Application procedure.

Small clans just starting up will probably take anyone who applies. Most clans are larger, more experienced and sophisticated. Those will have a process, often involving an interview on Teamspeak or Discord, and perhaps a probationary period before you become a full member.

Look through the list, prioritize them, and start contacting each one using their application procedure. How many to apply to at once is up to you, but I recommend no more than two at once, and one by one is probably better. I think you'll get more positive responses to that then you will to this post.

Personally, I recommend asking the clan OFFICERS when they are typically online, both weeknights and weekends. Being on at the same time, and having a chance to chat and division with them, will get you into the center of clan activities right away. If your gaming times don't overlap their times, you'll be stuck playing with the other "oddball" members, who could have a style quite different from the leadership. You could find yourself fitting into that oddball group, only to discover than the clan direction and policies seem to go in totally random directions - because you weren't around to contribute as those plans evolved. Clan recruiters sometimes duck this question by saying, "Oh, we have players just about around the clock, there's always someone to play with." This is political doublespeak, and really means either, "I hope someone is on when you are," or "I'll say anything to make my recruitment quota for the month," and occasionally both!

FYI, I game at an uncommon time, and have specific goals that aren't found in a clan that accepts someone with my poor stats. Therefore, I'm in a "clan of convenience" - one of the Lone Wolf clans that gives you clan benefits, but has no special requirements and offers no special activities, voice systems or comradeship.

• Cool 10

[-VT-]
[-VT-]
Members
338 posts
5,129 battles

That said, feel free to visit Navy Gaming America's website. We are always on the lookout for new recruits, take a look and see if you would be a good fit for us, our site can be found here.

• Cool 1

[TSG4]
[TSG4]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,809 posts
13,093 battles

@Yasha - the above post was incredibly accurate and very insightful for players who are seriously looking for a solid and stable clan organization!  You provided some very helpful advice as well as a bit of clarity on the various clan procedures (and their often-used confusing double-speak)!   Anyone willing to be a "good clan member" will have the ability and the willingness to read through your post, and then have the self-discipline to go through to completion the "probationary period" or "Recruiting Process" of whichever clan they decide to choose.  

Although you did not mention it directly, your implied refernce to be wary of clans who only want warm bodies to fill their spots (clans who take anyone that applies) is a very valid warning.  Most clans that practice this type of recruiting and do NOT have a formal probationary period and/or personal interview most usually maintain a high turn-over rate as well as on-going drama of various degrees.  It is certainly understandable for new start-up clans to want to build-up their membership, but if they focus on taking their time and conducting proper recruiting (an actual interview coupled with a "Recruiting Process" probationary period), the members that they will eventually take in will be a much better fit and provide the end result of longer-lasting and solid clan membership.

Anyway, I was just wanting to "kudos" you on actually taking the time to share some "experienced" personal insight for those players who may be looking for a clan.  You post was all full of really good advice!

597b9c75ccb42_TacticalStrikeGroup4(250x245).png.231b8d6e92fe7c3a639a78e7b93bc897.png

• Cool 3
  • Angry 1

[TSG4]
[TSG4]
1,809 posts
13,093 battles

Bump...... for all of the good advice and info in this thread!    :cap_like:

597b9c75ccb42_TacticalStrikeGroup4(250x245).png.231b8d6e92fe7c3a639a78e7b93bc897.png

• Cool 1
  • Angry 1

[Y0L0]
Members
224 posts
9,002 battles

If you are still looking and serious about cbs/ able to join us on discord, please check us out. we upgraded to the 50 members size recently and have a few slots open. I will try to message you in game as well. 

[TSG4]
[TSG4]
1,809 posts
13,093 battles

Sending it to the top!

Again, because there is really good info in this thread!      :fish_book:

• Cool 1

[TSG4]
[TSG4]
1,809 posts
13,093 battles

Good thread!

• Cool 1

[NWNG]
Members
2,831 posts
4,701 battles

Don't know why people are downvoting someone who wants good information to get out to those looking for a clan. Seriously, there is some very good information shared in this thread about clans, why downvote the person who wants that information to be one of the first things people read?

So have some upvotes to offset some of those downvotes @Nocona

[TSG4]
[TSG4]
1,809 posts
13,093 battles

Awesome... Thanks @Counter_Gambit

I'm definitely trying to help newer players understand Clans!  The down-voters are just a few haters that are unable to get over their childishness.  LOL.     :Smile_teethhappy:

• Boring 1

[NWNG]
Members
2,831 posts
4,701 battles

And I shall help too, by occasionally bumping this thread myself, if I remember... I may be young, but I have the memory of an old person:Smile_teethhappy:

• Funny 1
  • Boring 1

[VFW]
Members
1,208 posts
24,046 battles
On 8/20/2018 at 12:04 AM, Yasha said:

Kingadam -

1. FEW RECRUITERS READ THESE: Most clans post a recruitment message, and wait for applicants to come to them. Relatively few clan recruiters come here every day to see who has posted. Recruiters like it much more when potential recruits come to them.
  2. RECRUITERS WHO DO READ THESE OFTEN WANT SPECIAL THINGS: Those who read "looking for a clan" are looking for a specific person to fill a hole in their clan roster. The chances of you being that person are poor.
  3. TROLLS WANT TO POUNCE: There is a good chance that a hater will ridicule you and your post, just so people will pay attention them. Any attention is valued by trolls, even negative responses. I've seen veterans with great stats get hammered by trolls here. Running into this can sour you on the entire game, so beware.
  4. A CLAN WHO WANTS YOU MAY BE UNDESIRABLE: You might not mesh with the clan's style and culture for innumerable reasons, but you might join anyway, just top try them out.  The results could be bad, again souring you on the game.

Yasha,

Very well written, insightful and informative post.   You hit it right on the head.   It is generous of you to provide a New Player such good advice (and not so new players).

+1 on your post.

VR,

TexJapan 

Edited by TexJapan

[TSG4]
[TSG4]
1,809 posts
13,093 battles
On 8/20/2018 at 1:04 AM, Yasha said:

Kingadam -

I hate to be bearer of bad tidings, but enjoying life in a clan isn't as simple as making a post and hoping for the best. In fact a "looking for clan" post could yield poor results because:

Instead, I recommend you do your homework and read the first two or three pages the clan recruiting posts. You'll learn a lot about the different types of clans, Slowly build a list of "possible" clans you can approach. Many clans will want to interview you, so knowing why you like a clan will impress them.

You'll find that over half the clan advertisements you can forget about because your stats (battles fought, win rate percentage, survival percentage, average damage/battle, average XP/battle, top ship tier you can play, etc.) don't fit into their parameters.

With the remaining clans, I suggest noting down these things:

• Application procedure.

Small clans just starting up will probably take anyone who applies. Most clans are larger, more experienced and sophisticated. Those will have a process, often involving an interview on Teamspeak or Discord, and perhaps a probationary period before you become a full member.

Look through the list, prioritize them, and start contacting each one using their application procedure. How many to apply to at once is up to you, but I recommend no more than two at once, and one by one is probably better. I think you'll get more positive responses to that then you will to this post.

Personally, I recommend asking the clan OFFICERS when they are typically online, both weeknights and weekends. Being on at the same time, and having a chance to chat and division with them, will get you into the center of clan activities right away. If your gaming times don't overlap their times, you'll be stuck playing with the other "oddball" members, who could have a style quite different from the leadership. You could find yourself fitting into that oddball group, only to discover than the clan direction and policies seem to go in totally random directions - because you weren't around to contribute as those plans evolved. Clan recruiters sometimes duck this question by saying, "Oh, we have players just about around the clock, there's always someone to play with." This is political doublespeak, and really means either, "I hope someone is on when you are," or "I'll say anything to make my recruitment quota for the month," and occasionally both!

FYI, I game at an uncommon time, and have specific goals that aren't found in a clan that accepts someone with my poor stats. Therefore, I'm in a "clan of convenience" - one of the Lone Wolf clans that gives you clan benefits, but has no special requirements and offers no special activities, voice systems or comradeship.

On 8/20/2018 at 10:46 AM, Nocona said:

@Yasha - the above post was incredibly accurate and very insightful for players who are seriously looking for a solid and stable clan organization!  You provided some very helpful advice as well as a bit of clarity on the various clan procedures (and their often-used confusing double-speak)!   Anyone willing to be a "good clan member" will have the ability and the willingness to read through your post, and then have the self-discipline to go through to completion the "probationary period" or "Recruiting Process" of whichever clan they decide to choose.  

Although you did not mention it directly, your implied refernce to be wary of clans who only want warm bodies to fill their spots (clans who take anyone that applies) is a very valid warning.  Most clans that practice this type of recruiting and do NOT have a formal probationary period and/or personal interview most usually maintain a high turn-over rate as well as on-going drama of various degrees.  It is certainly understandable for new start-up clans to want to build-up their membership, but if they focus on taking their time and conducting proper recruiting (an actual interview coupled with a "Recruiting Process" probationary period), the members that they will eventually take in will be a much better fit and provide the end result of longer-lasting and solid clan membership.

Anyway, I was just wanting to "kudos" you on actually taking the time to share some "experienced" personal insight for those players who may be looking for a clan.  You post was all full of really good advice!

VERY GOOD INFORMATION to read and consider for *anyone* looking for a clan!!    :fish_book:

• Cool 1

[TSG4]
[TSG4]
1,809 posts
13,093 battles

:etc_red_button:.........UP....... UP......... UP!

[GLORY]
Members
306 posts
2,275 battles

Not sure you're looking for us, but we're your typical wine and cheese clan. We have a discord server, we mess around, and we have fun. We do not have a battle schedule but we will do one if most of our members are on. Join us if you want a chill bunch of guys who like Ships. 

[NWNG]
Members
2,831 posts
4,701 battles

Can we take his entire post, give it its own topic, and ask a moderator to pin it, so it is always on top? Of course some rewording will be needed.

Anything that has a strikethrough modifier, would be removed. If information is to be added it will be between "<" and ">" removing the two symbols when making the actual post

On 8/20/2018 at 12:04 AM, Yasha said:

Kingadam- <So you're looking for a clan?>

I Hate to be bearer of bad tidings, but enjoying life in a clan isn't as simple as making a post and hoping for the best. In fact a "looking for clan" post could yield poor results because:

Instead, I <it is> recommend<ed> you do your homework and read the first two or three pages the clan recruiting posts. You'll learn a lot about the different types of clans, Slowly build a list of "possible" clans you can approach. Many clans will want to interview you, so knowing why you like a clan will impress them.

With the remaining clans, I suggest noting down these <the following> things <is suggested>:

• Application procedure.

Look through the list, prioritize them, and start contacting each one using their application procedure. How many to apply to at once is up to you, but I <it is> recommend<ed> no more than two at once, and one by one is probably better. I think you'll get more positive responses to that then you will to this post <a "looking for clan" post>.

FYI, I game at an uncommon time, and have specific goals that aren't found in a clan that accepts someone with my poor stats. Therefore, I'm in a "clan of convenience" - one of the Lone Wolf clans that gives you clan benefits, but has no special requirements and offers no special activities, voice systems or comradeship. <Gaming at an uncommon time, and having specific goals that aren't found in a clan that accepts someone with poor stats, you're better off finding a clan of convenience, also referred too as "casual clan." Often times they do not have methods for voice communication, nor offer special activities. Casual clans are there more for the clan bonuses, than any of the other benefits of being in a clan. Not all casual clans are like this, but majority of them are.>

What do you think of the rewording? give this its own topic, and ask for a moderator to pin it.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[VFW]
Members
1,208 posts
24,046 battles
16 minutes ago, Counter_Gambit said:

Can we take his entire post, give it its own topic, and ask a moderator to pin it, so it is always on top? Of course some rewording will be needed.

Anything that has a strikethrough modifier, would be removed. If information is to be added it will be between "<" and ">" removing the two symbols when making the actual post

What do you think of the rewording? give this its own topic, and ask for a moderator to pin it.

Your idea is good on making this it's own pinned post, but editing this post is not really yours to do (plus it is his words, not yours)...just keep it real.

VR,

• Cool 1

[NWNG]
Members
2,831 posts
4,701 battles
2 minutes ago, TexJapan said:

Your idea is good on making this it's own pinned post, but editing this post is not really yours to do (plus it is his words, not yours)...just keep it real.

VR,

I know it's not my place to edit. But I was editing, to make it sound like the post isn't talking to just a single person, and to make it sound like the post is talking in general, and not about a single person's experience.

• Cool 1

[JFSOC]
Members
591 posts
8,936 battles
39 minutes ago, Counter_Gambit said:

Can we take his entire post, give it its own topic, and ask a moderator to pin it, so it is always on top?

Yes, yes, and yes some more!

[TSG4]
[TSG4]
1,809 posts
13,093 battles

I am in agreement with pinning this thread.  That is why I keep bumping it up for other players to read!