You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
DonKarnage2

Pirate Event Feedback from Pirate_Crew_108

69 comments in this topic

Supertester
550 posts
5,813 battles

Everyone, post feedback here if you like. Keep things constructive and civil. If you don't like something about the event, tell WG why you didn't like it. If you did like something, again tells WG why you liked it. You all know Radar, Gneis, Fem, and others look at this stuff so use it as a chance to be heard.

From the Pirate Crew perspective, I really enjoyed the event and getting to be a pirate. I think it was as reasonably well done as the previous Corgi events but there are always things that could be improved. I would make these recommendations for next time:

1. Communicate better with the players

First, better advance notice that it's coming would be good. 2-3 Weeks advance notice would be best, I think. Or include it in the Monthly Briefing. Second, communicate better to the player base what the rewards are. I had a lot of players asking me what they won if they sank a pirate and my standard response was: "250 Dubloons, 1 Container, and a mess of signal flags. You get even better rewards for sinking a captain." Third, make Captain accounts stand out more from other player accounts that use "Capt." in their SN. Something as simple as "Event_Capt_Anti_Air" would make it clear that the account in question was a Pirate Captain.

2. Tier Spread

Particularly at lower tiers, there were some heavily pirate saturated games. I don't think anyone was sync dropping. I never saw any pirates in a division. But, I still saw a few games with 5+ Pirate accounts active. I'd suggest that, instead of (for example) Wave 3 Tier 3 that it be something more like: "Wave 3: Tiers 3, 6, & 9" or "Wave 6: Tiers 2, 5, & 8." By allowing the pirates some tier spread it should help to address the over saturation, which was particularly noticeable at the lower tiers.

3. Don't limit us to playing during the individual waves

Run the event from Start of Business Friday until End of Business Sunday. This allows greater pirate participation. For example, I get up at 7 am on Sunday to go to work and I do not return home until nearly Midnight. All day Sunday, I got in zero matches, even though I was a pirate crew member and played heavily on Friday and Saturday. By running things from Start of Business Friday to End of Business Sunday I could have gotten in some very late matches on Sunday night after coming in from work, as I often play a handful of matches after work on Sundays to unwind. It also allows greater flexibility for the pirates to sort of come and go as they please throughout the weekend. Additionally, by not restricting the time to individual waves it allows greater player participation for the same reason. The Waves should be the Tier(s) pirates are REQUIRED to use during those times, but outside of those times the Pirates should still be allowed to FFA and give players a chance to get more loot.

4. Graf Zepplin and other OP Boats

As others have said, GZ should not be allowed to the Pirates. It's a broken boat, which WG has essentially admitted. Allowing us to use it can lead to player negativity. Even if it is kinda fun to use. Even if I did use it once, and not particularly well. Similarly, CV's should be more restricted as well, at least until after the rework. I did get some complaints from people about Pirates hiding in the back as CV's where they were harder to kill. Additionally, restricting the use of Belfast, Kamikaze, Arkansas Beta, and Iwaki Alpha should probably be done as well.

Finally,

5. Don't Incentivize us to get into the most matches

Offering a single mystery prize to the most active pirate is, in my opinion, a bad idea.We should be incentivized to play and be active. But, instead of incentivizing solely based on number of matches, the incentive for the big prize should be based on Win Rate. With that in mind, I would recommend a tiered system of incentivizing, similar to the 10/20/30 Incentives. Further, the mystery incentive should be a Win Rate based incentive, that will cut down on players complaining that Pirates were throwing matches since if you play 150 matches and lose 110 of them then there's no way you get the good prize. My suggestion incentivizes players to play many matches (good) and to play as well as they possibly can (also good).

I'd recommend the following Scale (note: I managed 43 matches, due to work, during the event and would not have hit even the lowest tier of this suggested system):

Pirate Crew plays 50 Matches - Receives T2 Premium Ship
Pirate Crew plays 60 Matches - Upgrades to T3 Premium Ship
Pirate Crew plays 70 Matches - Upgrades to T4 Premium Ship
Pirate Crew plays 80 Matches - Upgrades to T5 Premium Ship
Pirate Crew plays 85 Matches - Upgrades to T6 Premium Ship
Pirate Crew plays 90 Matches - Upgrades to T7 Premium Ship
Pirate Crew plays 95 Matches - Upgrades to T8 Premium Ship
Pirate Crew plays 100 Matches - Upgrades to T9 Premium Ship
Pirate Crew plays 125 Matches - May choose any 1 Premium Ship ever available (including those no longer available for purchase, like Missouri)

Pirate Crew with the HIGHEST WIN PERCENTAGE - Wins special prize

This incentivizes every Crew to be active and it incentivizes Pirates to play their very best to win that secret prize rather than just spamming Low Tier matches during Free-for-All Periods, since spamming low tier matches leads to over-saturation of pirates.
  • Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[WOLF9]
Members
9,764 posts
4,300 battles

I didn't get to participate, but I agree with some of your reasoning.  Allow some play outside the Wave times (restrict tiers?);  mix Tiers within waves.

The Win Rate (vs. # games) rewards base goes contrary to your idea of "No OP ships", though.  Pirates would want to take the most-likely-to-win ships available.

Much better marketing is a MUST.  I had to keep a wave schedule thread bouncing just so notice of event times would be on the General Discussion page.  There should have been a sticky here, at the least.  The few people do come to the forum can't be expected to notice sub-forums that no one ever posts to.  Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:  "A demolition notice was posted, Mr. Dent, in a filing cabinet in the basement of the Council offices."

Edited by iDuckman

[WOLF9]
Members
9,764 posts
4,300 battles

BTW, there seems to be some confusion as to how player rewards are to be handed out.  Brace yourself for a possible explosion.

Supertester
550 posts
5,813 battles
3 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

I didn't get to participate, but I agree with some of your reasoning.  Allow some play outside the Wave times (restrict tiers?);  mix Tiers within waves.

The Win Rate (vs. # games) rewards base goes contrary to your idea of "No OP ships", though.  Pirates would want to take the most-likely-to-win ships available.

Much better marketing is a MUST.  I had to keep a wave schedule thread bouncing just so notice of event times would be on the General Discussion page.  There should have been a sticky here, at the least.  The few people do come to the forum can't be expected to notice sub-forums that no one ever posts to.  Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:  "A demolition notice was posted, Mr. Dent, in a filing cabinet in the basement of the Council offices."

If OP ships were not given to the pirates, though, then they couldn't use them.

Edited by DonKarnage2

[INTEL]
Members
1,900 posts
11,398 battles

I'd like to see some MM balance. If there are two or more Pirates dropping in, they should be divided between the two teams.  Not two or three on one side and none on the other.

Overall though, good event and I enjoyed it.

Supertester
550 posts
5,813 battles
Just now, ClassicLib said:

I'd like to see some MM balance. If there are two or more Pirates dropping in, they should be divided between the two teams.  Not two or three on one side and none on the other.

Overall though, good event and I enjoyed it.

Yes, at low tiers there were some saturated games. However, we were told we couldn't sync drop (and I never did) and we could only Div. up with a Captain. I only saw Captains 3-4 times, but I saw a ton of crew.

Alpha Tester
10,267 posts
4,608 battles
1 minute ago, iDuckman said:

BTW, there seems to be some confusion as to how player rewards are to be handed out.  Brace yourself for a possible explosion.

Yea I just read that other topic. That's....not good.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
20,854 posts
11,605 battles

Instead of a prize for the most matches have a prize for randomly drawn Pirates, corgis, or whatever they are next time, 3 to five prizes sounds about right, that gets above a minimum number of matches.

[WOLF9]
Members
9,764 posts
4,300 battles
2 minutes ago, ClassicLib said:

That would be best, but I can't see WG messing with MM at all. 

[INTEL]
Members
1,900 posts
11,398 battles

Also, when I read the event announcement there was to be no "Crew" divisions.  Apparently Capts could Div with 1 or more Crew.  Wasn't expecting that.  I was a bit disappointed seeing it although my side did win against a 3 Div Pirate crew.

Supertester
550 posts
5,813 battles
1 minute ago, J30_Reinhardt said:

Yea I just read that other topic. That's....not good.

I had a LOT of questions about rewards. I told people variations on: "Sink Crew and get 250 dubloons, 1 container, and a mess of flags. Credited to your account by no later than 1 September."

Just now, BrushWolf said:

Instead of a prize for the most matches have a prize for randomly drawn Pirates, corgis, or whatever they are next time, 3 to five prizes sounds about right, that gets above a minimum number of matches.

That could work too. I like the WR one with a minimum number of matches requirement. But, a totally random system with (perhaps) more chances at being randomly selected based on number of matches would work too.

Supertester
550 posts
5,813 battles
1 minute ago, ClassicLib said:

Also, when I read the event announcement there was to be no "Crew" divisions.  Apparently Capts could Div with 1 or more Crew.  Wasn't expecting that.  I was a bit disappointed seeing it although my side did win against a 3 Div Pirate crew.

Yeah, there were times in several of my matches, where there were other pirates on my team... but I was never Div'd up with them. That was all MM's working.

[INTEL]
Members
1,900 posts
11,398 battles
Just now, iDuckman said:

Divs likely formed after the match was made...

Maybe so but I would expect them to play as individual pirates and not communicate.  Not a big deal, just wasn't expecting it based on the published rules for crew.

[GWG]
[GWG]
20,854 posts
11,605 battles
1 minute ago, DonKarnage2 said:

I had a LOT of questions about rewards. I told people variations on: "Sink Crew and get 250 dubloons, 1 container, and a mess of flags. Credited to your account by no later than 1 September."

That could work too. I like the WR one with a minimum number of matches requirement. But, a totally random system with (perhaps) more chances at being randomly selected based on number of matches would work too.

I don't like the WR idea because it pretty much rules out all but the very best players from winning.

[INTEL]
Members
1,900 posts
11,398 battles
1 minute ago, DonKarnage2 said:

Yeah, there were times in several of my matches, where there were other pirates on my team... but I was never Div'd up with them. That was all MM's working.

I saw both.  Multiple pirates that weren't in a Div and others that were.

Supertester
550 posts
5,813 battles

The only time I actively tried to work with other pirates on my team was the few matches where I had a Pirate Captain on my team.

For example, I went out of my way in a T3 match to work with Captain Sea You in the one match we were in together.

We were allowed to be Div'd, if we had a Captain with us.

Edited by DonKarnage2

[WOLF9]
Members
9,764 posts
4,300 battles

IIRC, Pirates weren't allowed voice comms?  That kinda makes post-MM divs toothless...

[GWG]
[GWG]
20,854 posts
11,605 battles

Destroying everyone in a Pirate division which should be more common should give a prize to everyone on the team that destroyed them.

• Cool 1

Supertester
550 posts
5,813 battles

I didn't use voice comms all weekend, nor did I stream. Of course, I never stream anyway.

Supertester
550 posts
5,813 battles
Just now, BrushWolf said:

Destroying everyone in a Pirate division which should be more common should give a prize to everyone on the team that destroyed them.

I like that idea a lot.

[GWG]
[GWG]
20,854 posts
11,605 battles
1 minute ago, iDuckman said:

IIRC, Pirates weren't allowed voice comms?  That kinda makes post-MM divs toothless...

We were all supposed to be on Discord but a lot of pirates were not.

[INTEL]
Members
1,900 posts
11,398 battles
9 minutes ago, DonKarnage2 said:

Yes, at low tiers there were some saturated games. However, we were told we couldn't sync drop (and I never did) and we could only Div. up with a Captain. I only saw Captains 3-4 times, but I saw a ton of crew.

The match I was in with a Capt and 2 crew was T8.  It was one of the best best battles I had all day.  We won and someone on my side got the Kill Steal on the DD Capt. :-)

Alpha Tester
10,267 posts
4,608 battles
Just now, ClassicLib said:

Maybe so but I would expect them to play as individual pirates and not communicate.  Not a big deal, just wasn't expecting it based on the published rules for crew.

Yea the match I was in had two non-divisioned crew on my side and a captain div'd with two lackeys on the other. Thankfully I citadelled the nagato run by the captain in half and then secured it with a ram so I should be safe with my rewards. Have post-game screens and the replay too just in case. I'd still feel bad over people expecting this/that reward and being shorted though.

[WOLF9]
Members
9,764 posts
4,300 battles
2 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

We were all supposed to be on Discord but a lot of pirates were not.

Yes, but again IIRC, that was only for event coordination.  (My brother keeps telling me I should have been a lawy .. er .. pirate.)

Edited by iDuckman