Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
bigbearbeear

Friedrich Der Grobe - IFHE or Demolition Expert?

13 comments in this topic

[WOLF5]
Members
328 posts
5,998 battles

I have a German captain in a FDG right now that is spec'd for secondary build.  Wanted to check if IFHE and/or DE is worth the points investment? 

Note that I play mostly co-ops, where bots charge you all the time so getting in close for brawling is not only possible, but happens every game.  Average secondary hits is about 240+ per game, so I'm thinking of boosting my secondary guns further. 

Thanks.

[HINON]
Members
9,354 posts

I would say no but what skills do you currently have and how many total skill points and is the captain going onto the gk eventually? 

Members
832 posts
1,260 battles

I feel like IFHE would give more consistent damage, unless you want more fires from your main guns too

Beta Testers
1,143 posts
3,273 battles

IFHE is the better investment. It allows your 105s to better pen Cruisers and parts of BBs. 

If you're finding your Secondaries do enough Alpha damage without IFHE already, DE for more "Secondary" damage through DoTs might better suited for you. 

Although IF you're able to spare 7pts get both. With both the net changes to your Secondaries HE potential is -1%Fire for 150s and +1%Fire on your 105s. 

Edited by Ivlerlin
Maths error

[WOLF5]
Members
328 posts
5,998 battles
11 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

I would say no but what skills do you currently have and how many total skill points and is the captain going onto the gk eventually? 

I have the following on the captain:

• Expert Loader
  • Expert Marksman
  • Basic Firing Training
  • Advanced Firing Training
  • Manual Fire Control for Secondary Armament

Currently at 15 points with 1 point not invested.  So will have 5 more points to play with.

[WOLF5]
Members
328 posts
5,998 battles
11 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

I have the following on the captain:

• Expert Loader
  • Expert Marksman
  • Basic Firing Training
  • Advanced Firing Training
  • Manual Fire Control for Secondary Armament

Currently at 15 points with 1 point not invested.  So will have 5 more points to play with.

And yes, captain will drive a GK eventually.

[SF-A]
Members
2,950 posts
5,927 battles

If IFHE it better on the main guns than DE, pick that. They are equally useful in secondaries IMO, so the tie-breaker is main battery. However, with 1/4 pen already, I don't know how good that is, or if you just slam through cruisers with the HE all of a sudden.

[MOH]
Members
304 posts
1,473 battles
10 hours ago, pewpewpew42 said:

If IFHE it better on the main guns than DE, pick that. They are equally useful in secondaries IMO, so the tie-breaker is main battery. However, with 1/4 pen already, I don't know how good that is, or if you just slam through cruisers with the HE all of a sudden.

From my understanding, the 1/4th rule for German battleships only applies to its main battery, and only 128mm and 150mm secondaries.  Most of the FDG's secondaries are 105mm's, so they would greatly benefit from IFHE. 

Even 128mm German secondaries benefit from IFHE because it only takes 32mm plating to shatter its rounds.  With IFHE though, they can penetrate.

[NASTY]
[NASTY]
Members
111 posts
5,757 battles

I would invest in other skills, such as

1. Fire Prevention:  German BB is set on fire more so than other BBs,
  2. Adrenaline Rush to do more damage after you take some with both main and secondary
  3. Superintendant  for extra heal

but that's me. I never play coop

Members
1,590 posts
4,356 battles

I just went all in one my secondaries, because to hell with it...

However, I did grab the main battery upgrade because these guns are mostly trash and need whatever help they can get.  

[70]
Members
997 posts
4,110 battles

I'd suggest for German BBs building for survivability, but concealment expert can MAYBE be discarded for IFHE because 105mm shatter on the GK's HE gets boosted to 136.5mm, which means it can pen armour up to 136mm... which is enough to citadel light cruisers with HE.

Beta Testers
178 posts
3,904 battles

Go demo expert, the 105mm are under the 1/6 pen rule and even with IFHE they do not pen much at all (105*0.3)= 31.5

105+ 31.5 = 136.5/6= 22,75 (its rounded down) so 22mm

22mm of penetration you dont do much to anything else that DD.

At least with demolition expert you will start fires and with their fast firing rate you might be able to sustain 1 or 2 fires that way and it will be better than secondary shells shattering on everything.

[KREW]
[KREW]
Members
144 posts
1,842 battles

I use demolition expert very effective , Just got the Friedrich der GroBe yesterday 4 rams 4 kills then a salvo from the Mo finished if not for that I would have remained a threat had 4 heals left oh well the secondary's were lethal to the DD's as always just like the Bismarck yeah I was running the Ram flag...lol to bad we lost the match

2018-09-25.png

Edited by CaptDavid

Sign in to follow this