You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Lert

Musings of a pirate

33 comments in this topic

[HINON]
Supertester
19,635 posts
13,201 battles

Ahoy! Pirate Crew 10 here!

So, by the time of this writing the pirate event is almost over. There is a little bit of T8 time left, but then another 'hunt the X' event will be behind us. As a veteran of all the Corgi and this Pirate events so far, I have some thoughts that I would like to share.

First of all though, some mood music:

Ok, now that's done, on to the thoughts:

Thought the first: The pirate event is more or less the same as the Corgi events, apart from some slight differences. I was very happy to go into this pirate events like I was for the Corgi ones, and just like with the Corgi ones, I am very happy that it's over. It's fun, don't get me wrong, but it's also at times frustrating and exhausting. I played 70 matches, won just over half of them at 37, and sunk 60 times. This weekend happened to be a weekend where my 'mojo' just wasn't there, but I still like to think I made them work for it.

Thought the second: The reception was overall very friendly, with some exceptions. We had two sessions of free tier choice, and then sessions of tier three, five and seven on Saturday and four, six and eight today. At tier three the amount of people who hadn't heard of the event was the highest, but tier eight is where the most rude people live. I got teamkilled only once, by someone who was probably a repeat offender, since reflected damage took his Musashi out by the time my Roma was at half health. Here are the most common reactions:

• What are pirates?
  • Are you all bots?
  • This is bogus / a hoax / con
  • I killed a pirate yesterday but never got my gold
  • Shut up already
  • Are you sure teamkills don't count?
  • I can try to teamkill, yes?
  • Why are you always on my team?

Those reactions make the reception sound more negative than it generally was, though. I was pleasantly surprised by the general reception, it seemed better received than the old Corgi events, though only slightly.

Thought the third: The amount of people who didn't know about this event was still very high. It's easy to understand though, in order to learn of this event one needs to pay attention to the launcher and  / or the forum, and not everybody does. Maybe there's a solution for that though, a one-time pop-up in the game itself. This current eagles vs sharks event proves the game is capable of these pop-ups, so it shouldn't be hard for the devs to implement something like that.

Thought the fourth: Thank you,  @Femennenly for putting this together as well as all the people who helped her. It was a lot of fun seeing @TrevzorFTW and @SuperNikoPower sailing again in semi-official capacity. I'll be sure to volunteer for the next one, I'll be very happy to be accepted, and I'm sure I'll be very happy when it's over again.

• Cool 15
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 1

[HINON]
Supertester
19,635 posts
13,201 battles
19 minutes ago, enderland07 said:

I hope you wrecked people in the GZ.

I didn't touch the thing.

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
Members
6,918 posts
2,714 battles

Did y'all get to drive Ships That Cannot Be Named? 

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
16,314 posts
9,608 battles

When someone would claim we were all bots I would time in some random binary into chat. :Smile_hiding:

This was only my second event and I got in 90 matches with a 54% WR and died 66 times. I will echo Lert, it is fun but also exhausting and I will probably play little for the next few days, co-op fto quickly finish up the Tour of Duty ship and then play other things for the rest of the week.

[LRM]
Supertester
550 posts
5,537 battles
5 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

When someone would claim we were all bots I would time in some random binary into chat. :Smile_hiding:

This was only my second event and I got in 90 matches with a 54% WR and died 66 times. I will echo Lert, it is fun but also exhausting and I will probably play little for the next few days, co-op fto quickly finish up the Tour of Duty ship and then play other things for the rest of the week.

54% WR? Newb.

65.12% WR for me :)

[GWG]
[GWG]
16,314 posts
9,608 battles
4 minutes ago, DonKarnage2 said:

54% WR? Newb.

65.12% WR for me :)

The tier 8's and to a certain extent the tier 7's killed me.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,333 posts
11,852 battles

I like these events.  I don't really care if I get my reward or not, it's just fun.  The only complaint I have is people playing CVs as pirates.  I saw it a few times.  Given the way CVs generally hide in the back and don't snipe each other, it's very likely that nobody will actually get a shot at killing the CV in question.  I'm trying to say this more as feedback than as a complaint.

[HINON]
Supertester
19,635 posts
13,201 battles
1 hour ago, iDuckman said:

Only released ones.

0 posts

I believe I sank three of the Pirate ships, I'll be waiting for my "prizes". 

On one of them I called out in chat after sinking the Pirate..If this is Lert?  I want kitty treats as my prize!  

No response so I am guessing not Lert?

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,544 posts
3,645 battles

Really wish I'd been able to sign up, but I didn't know my work schedule in time to know if I would have been available. Still, fun event. I didn't sink any pirates myself, but it's always kind of hilarious to see the comedy of errors that results from people tripping over themselves to get the kill in events like these, all the way back to the original Hunt the Pros events in WoT.

[HINON]
Supertester
19,635 posts
13,201 battles
5 hours ago, Minah_Bang said:

No response so I am guessing not Lert?

It's possible, I tended to exit the battle and grab another ship after I was sunk to get more battles in.

[BBICT]
Members
3,497 posts
3,717 battles

Special thanks to all the Pirates! :Smile_medal: 

I think these things are a blast, and maybe someday my life will calm down enough for me to go pirate. As far as people not knowing about the event....well, they can read, and if they don't know about stuff, it is kind of on them...oh boy I bet I hurt someone's feeling on that one...Oh wait, I want to be a pirate, screw'em ARRRRRRR. 

[SOB]
[SOB]
Members
254 posts
4,021 battles

From perspective I believe the event mostly went well. My luck being what it was I only had a cpl matches where the pirate was on the red team. I wasnt willing to make a Banzai charge so never got any kills on them. I did see quite a few on my own team though so thanks to the pirates & crew for putting allot of matches in! 

I believe Corgi, Pirates & Rainbow Unicorns (never know what the next event will be) should not be allowed to be in a CV or "uber" ships. The event is supposed to be for the masses enjoyment not for their own gratification clubbing seals. 

[HINON]
Supertester
19,635 posts
13,201 battles
3 hours ago, this_might_be_slak__ said:

Never really sure what to do with Lert, his "musings"

Print them out, put them in your birdcage.

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,922 battles

I sunk a pirate on accident because the target I was gonna bomb used his defensive aa so I ended up going for the BB behind him which turned out to be a pirate. I also ended up killing a T-61 with my secondary guns and probably put up to 30 secondary shells into a NY.

Secondary Kill: 28

Miracles do happen when you expect to die.

Edited by Vangm94

[ARGSY]
Members
7,173 posts
4,869 battles
13 hours ago, iDuckman said:

HMS Voldemort, T14 Leander-class British frigate.

1 x twin 114mm (as per Daring), but with half the dispersion and Sigma 3.0 to reflect improvements in fire control.

• B hull replaces with 4 x Exocet SSM; 75% hit probability, 26,000 damage and 50% fire chance. Six minute reload time. Target must be locked for at least 15 seconds before launch.
  • C hull replaces Seacat with Seawolf, 2/3 charges and 3 aircraft per 5 seconds out to 4km. Will intercept incoming shells above 4.5" with 50% intercept chance per missile.

2 x 40mm/L60 Bofors.

2 x Seacat SAM launchers, tied to DFAA consumable, 1 aircraft per 5 seconds out to 5 km, cooldowns as per Hood. 3/4 charges.

Radar: 20km, 40 seconds active (without mod), 2 minute cooldown (1:30 premium), infinite charges.

Hydro: 8km vs torps and ships, 4 minutes up (without mod), 3 minute cooldown (2:30 premium), infinite charges.

RDF/RPF built in.

A/S torpedoes: 45kt to 5km as a last ditch, 3500 damage with guaranteed flooding, will home on enemy props/rudder if they pass within 500m of stern.

A/S Helicopter acts as a spotter plane, active 2 min, cooldown 6 min. Extends gun range 10% and enables missile designation over islands. 

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

Members
182 posts
2,612 battles

Reading the OP makes it even more clear to me that anyone saying, "All players" or "Everyone" in these forums is only talking about 5% of the players. I do want to thank all the pirate captains and crews who were part of my teams for making the reds ignore me while they chased you. 

[SDIWO]
Members
1,076 posts
5,721 battles

Really enjoyed the event. Was also a nice change of pace from the heavy focus of T10 lately to have an excuse to bust out some lower tier ships and have some fun.

[PIZZA]
Supertester
922 posts
19,507 battles

Well said Lert!!!!!  I too have participated in the corgi events and this one.  I would have added one thing.......When they ask for volunteers for the next one, I highly recommend you give it a go and put on the pirate hat......it certainly is a dose of "different" and fun.

Edited by BaronVonTom

[GWG]
[GWG]
16,314 posts
9,608 battles
14 hours ago, crzyhawk said:

I like these events.  I don't really care if I get my reward or not, it's just fun.  The only complaint I have is people playing CVs as pirates.  I saw it a few times.  Given the way CVs generally hide in the back and don't snipe each other, it's very likely that nobody will actually get a shot at killing the CV in question.  I'm trying to say this more as feedback than as a complaint.

We were not supposed to play any one ship too often and they specifically didn't want us playing the Graf Zeppelin very often. I didn't touch any CV's even the point, click, and win GZ so that will have balanced out those that did. It would probably be a good idea to drastically limit how often a pirate, corgi, whatever can take out CV's but I don't think they shouldn't be used in these events.

[TBOW]
Beta Testers
3,264 posts
649 battles

I loved the super angry profanity laced responses to my being a pirate/captain. Most of it I wouldn't even repeat anywhere. It was interesting. I agree though, the event was very well run and exciting to play in. 

[BORK]
Alpha Tester
154 posts
1,108 battles

Being a pirate was a blasty!

It was good seeing all the folks that I remember again as well as seeing the new and excited folks out and about.

Love ya guys!

• Cool 1

Members
663 posts
7,302 battles

The pirate thing was interesting, I liked it.

Had a great game with one. They recognized the sacrifice I needed to make for the good of the team, stop our base from being capped. 

I stayed and watch, and they pretty much sailed there  Arizona, against long odds, to single handed victory.

A very close game.