You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Nuppose

New Player - Loving the Game and the Haida!

7 comments in this topic

Members
2 posts
463 battles

Just started almost a week ago (though I have experience with arcadey war games) and just wanted to say I'm really loving World of Warships so far! I'm Canadian so I picked up the Haida once I felt comfortable enough with the basic mechanics, and really have to say thank you to the devs and testers for such a brilliant job on the ship! Been having a blast so far playing for caps, spotting for my mates, and sneaking in some damage here and theregreat fun! And looking forward to lots more with the 3rd Year Anniversary coming up!

haida.png

Edited by Nuppose
  • Cool 2

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,570 posts
12,258 battles
25 minutes ago, Nuppose said:

Just started almost a week ago (though I have experience with arcadey war games) and just wanted to say I'm really loving World of Warships so far! I'm Canadian so I picked up the Haida once I felt comfortable enough with the basic mechanics, and really have to say thank you to the devs and testers for such a brilliant job on the ship! Been having a blast so far playing for caps, spotting for my mates, and sneaking in some damage here and theregreat fun! And looking forward to lots more with the 3rd Year Anniversary coming up!

haida.png

Wait.....

You are playing her too good.....

Let me catch up....

In all seriousness,  I am glad you love the game as much as i.

She is a good ship and considering your experience level, I am impressed with your win rate on her...

[MWM]
Supertester
284 posts
7,135 battles

Great to have a new player! You are doing really well keep it up.:cap_like:

[TSPC]
Members
2,379 posts
7,260 battles

Glad you are enjoying the game!

I kind of hate to break it to you but if you're only averaging 15k a game, that WR will likely catch up to you.

• Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
7,338 posts
7,771 battles
9 minutes ago, enderland07 said:

Glad you are enjoying the game!

I kind of hate to break it to you but if you're only averaging 15k a game, that WR will likely catch up to you.

This. ^ 

I'm truly happy you're enjoying the game, and the ship. However, I suggest going back and grinding out some DD lines, it'll help you become a much better player with the higher tier ships you may decide to purchase.

You have fairly good main gun accuracy, and a decent torp hit rate, that, combined with your average damage, tells me you aren't taking enough shots from your guns and torps. Don't be afraid to open fire, especially with a gunboat like Haida. :)

And welcome aboard!:Smile_honoring:

Members
2 posts
463 battles

Thanks for all the good wishes! Just checking back in with an update now that I've gotten a hundred games with my Haida, and as you can see my win rate has tanked quite considerably with more trials! Numbers to note outside of WR:

Contribution to Capture/Defense increased by +4/5% respectively

Gun + Torpedo accuracy dropped by -2%

Average Damage to Ships increased by +5,000 (33%)

Average Warships Spotted increased by +0.6

Destruction Ratio dropped by -0.30

A lot of the advice I had gotten was that I wasn't being nearly as aggressive enough, so I've been pushing more towards that, but as you can see, I've been dying a lot due to the high-risk/reward nature of the Haida and my relative inexperience. Some games I couldn't really help losing (I had a 3-in-a-row loss streak yesterday where I was 1st or 2nd contributor on my team each game) and others were clearly me being dumb (aggressively trying to take cap against cruisers with radar) or just inexperience in combat where I lost duels I should've won (incorrect torp spread against an incoming, charging cruiser).

Though capping is always the #1 objective of a DD like the Haida, and I have been getting better at that too looking at the stats, I see I still need to play a lot smarter and get a lot more experience before I unwrap the Haida's combat potential. Capping is always great after all, and that's relatively easy and good for a pseudo-newb like me, but there's a lot more I could contribute once I learn how to more effectively get in the fight. Concealment Expert and my Hydro upgrade is just around the corner too, which should be a nice little help up.

Haida.png

Beta Testers
1,331 posts
6,739 battles
35 minutes ago, Nuppose said:

Thanks for all the good wishes! Just checking back in with an update now that I've gotten a hundred games with my Haida, and as you can see my win rate has tanked quite considerably with more trials! Numbers to note outside of WR:

Contribution to Capture/Defense increased by +4/5% respectively

Gun + Torpedo accuracy dropped by -2%

Average Damage to Ships increased by +5,000 (33%)

Average Warships Spotted increased by +0.6

Destruction Ratio dropped by -0.30

It's quite refreshing to see somebody who's eager to learn!
48% isn't bad at all for somebody who just started, especially around tier 7.  Once you get concealment expert you'll notice a substantial increase in potential.  Also don't worry about destruction ratio, it's pretty much the most meaningless stat in this game.  That being said, in the Haida you should be targeting other DDs first, and the larger ships only out of opportunity.   Vision control will win you games, and the best way to do that is to wipe their DDs off the map.  Finishing off a wounded DDs is very important, especially IJN DDs.  If played right, those guys will never be spotted unless they choose to, so simply damaging them has a much lesser effect on their combat potential than the other DD lines.