You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
GambitHG

Ship Comrade Shutting Down!?

32 comments in this topic

Members
166 posts
5,298 battles

I just went to the Ship Comrade website to play around with their Captain Skills calculator and instead got a page stating how he was shutting down the service due to a lack of support from Wargaming. Personally I think this is a shame. I found his website to be very helpful when I first started out and I liked the interface as compared to the WoWs Wiki. He says he can save it if there are enough people to fund his Patreon page or if he could find another owner for the website. 

Maybe people could share here how the website helped any of you?

• Cool 1
  • Boring 2

[WOLF7]
Members
10,340 posts
1 hour ago, GambitHG said:

I just went to the Ship Comrade website to play around with their Captain Skills calculator and instead got a page stating how he was shutting down the service due to a lack of support from Wargaming. Personally I think this is a shame. I found his website to be very helpful when I first started out and I liked the interface as compared to the WoWs Wiki. He says he can save it if there are enough people to fund his Patreon page or if he could find another owner for the website. 

Maybe people could share here how the website helped any of you?

This has always been a problem for this game.....

There is a small competitive player group, and then the rest of the players....

This game has very few fan sites for a reason, there simply aren't that many serious fans. Just not that type of engagement from most players.

[-BMV-]
Members
346 posts
6,804 battles

Seems weird since they just changed the web formatting recently.  I like the site though not a fan of how this is being done.  It's almost like they are holding their own website for ransom.  If you don't want to run a fan site that's your business but don't blame it on lack of support.  You should not expect to be paid for doing what is basically a hobby blog.  Its not WG or the communities fault.

• Bad 1

Members
2,164 posts

World of Warships just isn't popular enough... The games market is so over saturated that they are just a spec in an ocean.

This is like, the 3rd website that I know of going down/quit updating. No new ones ever seem to pop up to replace them. Even community contributors are doing less or dying off.

Yes, WG is partly to blame. They make a lot of premiums... That take away from sites that rely on donations. They don't promote them like they do youtubers either. 

Edited by MorbidGamer
  • Cool 1

[1-]
Members
579 posts
3,361 battles

I saw it too. Sad day.

Untitled.png

29 minutes ago, awiggin said:

This game has very few fan sites for a reason, there simply aren't that many serious fans. Just not that type of engagement from most players.

I personally find this game to be a better version of Eve. Eve has such an immersive universe that you can build ships and explore, but Eve's owner company (CCP in Iceland) makes bad decisions that allow the community to become toxic and the players to lose goodwill in them. Plus, in Eve you will actually lose the ship and everything you spent on it, which makes players risk averse and ration the fun.

In Eve it takes me a minimum of one week to prepare for just one battle, where is battle isn't truly different from a WOWS match in the fun aspect. I thought I may as well have fun in WOWS once a while.

So engaging or not, it's more about the player's perspective.

Edited by _Marines

[TOG]
Members
38 posts
7,372 battles

The guy produces excellent content and pays the bills and a huge number of us enjoy it and he asks for a bit of help and these comments are all he gets?

If I was him I would [edited]-can it too.

Can't we all spare a few bucks to support an excellent site?

I'm donating right after posting this.

I challenge all to at least offer up a donation, whatever u can spare.

• Cool 3
  • Bad 1

[AHOY_]
Beta Testers
6,536 posts
3,579 battles

I don't see how it could possibly be worth 150/month, when the overall setup of the site could probably be hosted for about 50 per month at most, unless they expect themselves to be paid for their efforts.

The best thing that could be done is WG expanding and improving their WoWs section of the Wiki to host most of the content that was on ShipComrade, or make ShipComrade an affiliated site as a more interactive stats/details/previews site. Of course, I'm of the opinion that it would be more convenient if WG would just expand their WoWs Wiki functionality; and just port over:

• The reviews
  • The Captain Skill Calc
  • The informational bits (such as how Vigilance works with both TASM and Hydro, but the two don't work together)
  • Improve the Wiki's own ship pages to rival ShipComrade's for a more concrete view on how the ships' stats change with each upgrade.
  • Improve their list of update changes.
  • Cool 1
  • Bad 3

[HYDRO]
Members
1,823 posts
3,942 battles
6 minutes ago, YamatoA150 said:

I don't see how it could possibly be worth 150/month, when the overall setup of the site could probably be hosted for about 50 per month at most, unless they expect themselves to be paid for their efforts.

My guess is the owner is also looking to recoup some of his lost money for the past three years which makes sense.

• Cool 1

[1-]
Members
579 posts
3,361 battles

There is no way that $150/month voluntary player donation can be sustainable. It's sad but the site might have to go. Over the years when the site was there, the only real beneficiary was Wargaming. If the only real beneficiary decides to give it the boot...:Smile_sad:

[TIMT]
Alpha Tester
74 posts

I have a rich buddy who'd probably fund it if he knew about it, but the way it's set up right now I can't even see what the site does.

[SRPH]
[SRPH]
Members
572 posts
1,185 battles

That's weird, because when I watch my favorite games on Twitch, there seems to be almost as many channels and audience numbers for WoWS as for Guild Wars 2, and definitely more than for Battletech or Mecwharrior Online, all of which have a number of fan/community run auxiliary sites.

[AHOY_]
Beta Testers
6,536 posts
3,579 battles

I'm not going to lie; the only reason I ever visited the site was for old CBT ship data (that they've eventually removed), LWM's convenient Vigilance mini-informational, and the Captain Skill Calculator. If those were ported over to the Wiki, I would have no reason to visit ShipComrade. Half the time their ship pages weren't updated to reflect changes made with recent updates, such as having older reload or shell values, while WG's Wiki at least makes token attempts to keep the pages up to date.

[PSP]
Members
6,649 posts
9,622 battles
49 minutes ago, awiggin said:

Even those who come to the Forum And Reddit page are few compared to the majority of casual players. For instance, I found that most players this weekend didn't know about the Pirate event. 

• Cool 1

[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
1,240 posts
33 minutes ago, MorbidGamer said:

World of Warships just isn't popular enough... The games market is so over saturated that they are just a spec in an ocean.

This is like, the 3rd website that I know of going down/quit updating. No new ones ever seem to pop up to replace them. Even community contributors are doing less or dying off.

Yes, WG is partly to blame. They make a lot of premiums... That take away from sites that rely on donations. They don't promote them like they do youtubers either. 

wowsreplays is the only one I know of. What were the others?

[OO7]
Members
3,295 posts
9,731 battles
18 minutes ago, w4spl3g said:

Warships today is dying a slow death. 

[LEGIT]
Beta Testers
298 posts
16,409 battles
58 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

I should think about donating them cause I use their website. I also disabled ad blocker when I visit their website.

Edited by SoftAndCute

[WOLF7]
Members
10,340 posts
1 hour ago, w4spl3g said:

Warshipstats.com DOA

Warships.today Almost DOA

ShipComrade.com DOA

Wows-numbers.com is really the only stat site left that I know of.

Members
2,164 posts
1 hour ago, Ducky_shot said:

I forget what the other one was called... But they last updated with Belfast. Himmelsdorf or something.

[OO7]
Members
3,295 posts
9,731 battles
3 minutes ago, awiggin said:

And wiochi seems to be constantly trying to innovate and add things. He has seemed to make a decent go of it, I think his patreon is getting him about $100 a month. 

Edited by Ducky_shot

[1-]
Members
579 posts
3,361 battles
2 hours ago, awiggin said:

I love this site. Hopefully it lives long.

[ONAVY]
Members
870 posts
6,643 battles

It doesn't cost that much to host a website and after it is built like this even less to maintain except for time. You can host it yourself and only need to keep the domain name paid for. I will send some emails out to some of these guys. Not sure why the 150$ a month quote there ??? $200 total should cover domain and webhosting for two yrs at least 

• Cool 1