You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Snargfargle

The Problem With Pirates

44 comments in this topic

[90TH]
Members
984 posts
9,255 battles
52 minutes ago, exray0 said:

Yes, free stuff is horrible. Shame on WG for trying to hold a fun event and give stuff away, and double shame on the people volunteering their time to make it happen.

Keyword: “trying”

My own experiences with these events are like the OP’s: senseless randoms with strings of potatoes chasing a single ship to the edge of the map.  If you thought summer weekends were bad for team play, WG doubles down on stupidity with the Corgi/Pirate events.

• Cool 1

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
946 posts
14,404 battles
10 minutes ago, 212thAttackBattalion said:

that is the HMS Barham sinking and her magazines exploding after being torpedoed by a U-boat

Thank you, brother. Much appreciated. Now... I am off to read more about it. 

Respects,

Am

Members
427 posts
1,608 battles

I must have a Rare DD captain mentality. Because I prefer fighting for caps then trying to go for kills. The 2 pirates I have killed accured in the same match while fighting for charlie cap in my North Carolina. Didnt realize I had killed pirates till after match. Was just shooting at ships with low health to finish them off to win the match. Wish I had known I had killed one and noticed the boise was a pirate. I would let someone else kill it off to collect the reward. 

Members
5,202 posts
3,461 battles
14 minutes ago, 212thAttackBattalion said:

that is the HMS Barham sinking and her magazines exploding after being torpedoed by a U-boat

3 torps hit. 862 men lost their life in the sinking.

[-BRS-]
Members
1,586 posts
16,530 battles

I would have liked to have seen more Pirates in Tier X.  Ive played almost a 100 battles and only seen 3.

Granted I know there is a schedule for the tiers  but it would have been nice to see a few more of them the past 2 days in the higher tiers.

[PN]
[PN]
Beta Testers
7,212 posts
17,372 battles

Of course people go whacko doubloons are the prize and the only way one will get to sink the pirate(s) is to go straight for them after winning doubloons even in a loss is better than just an ordinary win!

But let the naysayers vent about how such events kill the game ya da ya da ya da! That's how they get their Jollies!

@Snargfargle there is nothing wrong with the Pirates at all!

Members
358 posts
3,738 battles
56 minutes ago, HOFcity said:

Nothing is FREE

Except this - 250 dubloons, some flags, and a crate for sinking a pirate. Costs you nothing but your time.

Members
358 posts
3,738 battles
57 minutes ago, n00bot said:

My own experiences with these events are like the OP’s: senseless randoms with strings of potatoes chasing a single ship to the edge of the map.  If you thought summer weekends were bad for team play, WG doubles down on stupidity with the Corgi/Pirate events.

The majority of the event has been low tier - If you don't see senseless randoms with potatos chasing to the edges of the maps in those games regardless, then we're not playing the same game.

38 minutes ago, GUNSTAR_THE_LEGEND said:

I would have liked to have seen more Pirates in Tier X.  Ive played almost a 100 battles and only seen 3.

Granted I know there is a schedule for the tiers  but it would have been nice to see a few more of them the past 2 days in the higher tiers.

There was a lot of T10 play on Friday during the "unlimited tier" play. There will be T8 pirates tonight which due to MM, you will see lots of T8 pirates in your T10 ships.

[-BRS-]
Members
1,586 posts
16,530 battles
1 minute ago, exray0 said:

The majority of the event has been low tier - If you don't see senseless randoms with potatos chasing to the edges of the maps in those games regardless, then we're not playing the same game.

There was a lot of T10 play on Friday during the "unlimited tier" play. There will be T8 pirates tonight which due to MM, you will see lots of T8 pirates in your T10 ships.

Well good  I enjoy the in game events.... Most Pirates at the higher tiers do try to win and only throw their ships away when either the win or loss has already been determined.

• Boring 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
9,111 posts

This would be a fun event if people would just play normally. I was just in another match with a team that went after a pirate. Nobody on my team was capping so I finally tried to cap in a BB. Unfortunately, I was alone and they were many. Fog_Carrier_Hornet sank me with his pirate ship.   

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
21,419 posts
11,933 battles
3 hours ago, n00bot said:

How is it different from the non-event randoms?

• Cool 1

[TDD]
Members
1,133 posts
9,144 battles

Let's see out of 119 matches I was chased to the edge of the map...hmm...no....not then....not that time...maybe...no. Looks like 0 times I had everyone chasing me

guess i wasn't the popular pirate

[GWG]
[GWG]
21,419 posts
11,933 battles
1 hour ago, nina_blain_73 said:

Let's see out of 119 matches I was chased to the edge of the map...hmm...no....not then....not that time...maybe...no. Looks like 0 times I had everyone chasing me

guess i wasn't the popular pirate

I was chased all over the map about as often as it happens when I am not a pirate. As I said in other posts and threads on this the only times I was actually chased down it was the CV players but it wouldn't surprise me if they are just as bull dog stubborn on attacking a particular ship outside of events too.

Beta Testers
1,602 posts
10,092 battles
22 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

Go ahead and chase me, out of the 66 matches I have in for the event 34 would be pirate hunters went to a watery grave in their feeble attempts at killing me.

en25dnv.gif

Trust me, not offended, or asking you to change it, but...

Something horrifying watching the crew scuttle off that ship as it's exploding.

[GWG]
[GWG]
21,419 posts
11,933 battles
5 minutes ago, Nukelavee45 said:

Trust me, not offended, or asking you to change it, but...

Something horrifying watching the crew scuttle off that ship as it's exploding.

I didn't realize when I grabbed that gif that it was that detailed. All the other footage I have seen of that event was far less detailed, I should change it.

• Cool 1

[PIZZA]
Privateers
1,058 posts
22,978 battles
23 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

Everyone is chasing the pirate and no-one is playing the game.

shot-18_08.19_11_24.13-0367.jpg.dcd618277aa449d67474ac36e187a931.jpg

In 60 battles only saw this happen once.  Most times once I was spotted, only two or 3 kept on me until I met my watery grave.

23 hours ago, Canadatron said:

I did not find that to be the situation yesterday when I was seeing then in both teams repeatedly. Game just played out as normal from my observation.

Some rounds had 4-6 Pirate Captains sprinkled in them. Over my 3 matches I bagged 2 of them. 

This

23 hours ago, awiggin said:

I always thought events like this were a bad idea.

I mean, isn't random enough of a mess, without having events that throw any chance of playing objectives out the window?:Smile_amazed:

They should have put the pirates in a special scenario, where it doesn't make a bad problem worse.

You don't need special events for objectives to be thrown out the window...see it all the time in tier 10 so why should the lower tiers be different?  These special events are only for a few days....surely a few days of giving away FREE stuff by volunteers won't hurt anyone's stats all that much.

23 hours ago, Kapitan_Wuff said:

Yea, cause half the team never chases a lone ship to the edge of the map... 

O wait, that happens all the time even without pirates...

lmbo  hahahahaha  love this one and very true.

22 hours ago, n00bot said:

I thought the event was for players not pirates. Maybe you’re right: it’s really just an event to reward a special few chosen players who want to play pirate.

Anyway, just avoid T4-T7 and/or daytimes this weekend.

We can hate on pirate/Corgi weekends but the odds of WG stopping the event is like the odds of WG nerfing the Stalingrad.

Seriously?  This event rewards everyone.....the volunteers who have a blast and get a little something for it, the players who reap the rewards, WG who maybe gains a sale of a premium or two from the volunteers who may buy what they were playing and the thought of them giving back something to the players who use the site, and everyone with something a little different from the usual weekend play.  Is a few days really that bad?  Maybe you volunteer for the next one so you can see how much fun it is.

23 hours ago, exray0 said:

Yes, free stuff is horrible. Shame on WG for trying to hold a fun event and give stuff away, and double shame on the people volunteering their time to make it happen.

It is isn't it?  Couldn't have said it better myself.

[-RNG-]
[-RNG-]
Members
204 posts
10,811 battles

Real simple solution...DON'T PLAY IN THE TIERS THEY ARE POPULATING AT THE TIME. ....TADAAA!!!