You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Snargfargle

The Problem With Pirates

44 comments in this topic

[WOLF7]
Members
12,126 posts

I always thought events like this were a bad idea.

I mean, isn't random enough of a mess, without having events that throw any chance of playing objectives out the window?:Smile_amazed:

They should have put the pirates in a special scenario, where it doesn't make a bad problem worse.

• Cool 1

Members
5,202 posts
3,461 battles

I did not find that to be the situation yesterday when I was seeing then in both teams repeatedly. Game just played out as normal from my observation.

Some rounds had 4-6 Pirate Captains sprinkled in them. Over my 3 matches I bagged 2 of them. 

• Cool 1

[O_O]
Members
5,246 posts
12,038 battles

It's only for a couple of days.  Many people really love these events, even if others do not.

Look on the bright side...the caps should be wide open for the taking.  Also, it's a Tier 3/4 game...what do you expect?

[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
1,240 posts
9 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Everyone is chasing the pirate and no-one is playing the game.

shot-18_08.19_11_24.13-0367.jpg.dcd618277aa449d67474ac36e187a931.jpg

It's the exact same thing with the Sharks v Eagles quests. It incentivizes bad play. But whatever.

• Cool 1

[OO7]
Members
5,075 posts
11,856 battles
9 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

People complain about the Pirates and corgi no matter the team they are on. 

Enemy complains their team lemmings for them and friendlies complain they are useless and Yolo. 

Beta Testers
1,100 posts
9,864 battles

I got sick of these events a few months ago when we had a corgi literally throw his ship away at the end of a close match. I already had a bad night with a 10 loss streak trying to chase 200% win bonuses. At least WG had the good grace not combine this with a special weekend this time.

• Cool 1

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
7,754 posts
8,946 battles

While I sympathize with the OP, on the rare occasions this issue crops up, I don't think this scenario of "everyone chasing the pirate" is very common. I do know,  that Pirate 52 spends many battles, determinedly chasing after reds, pleading with them to engage, begging the enemy to sink me and take my 250 doublons per battle. (I hasten to add, after having assured my team a win whatever happens to myself) In fact, a very large number of players are unaware the event is going on, and unaware of the rewards.

• Cool 1

[TOAST]
[TOAST]
Members
1,028 posts
8,922 battles

Captain Double Strike revels in the idea of lemming train chasers to try and get his gold. It's apart of his master plan to double strike the lot of you.

tenor.gif

[SYN]
Members
7,420 posts
12,594 battles

Yea, cause half the team never chases a lone ship to the edge of the map... 

O wait, that happens all the time even without pirates...

• Cool 4

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
20,898 posts
11,620 battles

Go ahead and chase me, out of the 66 matches I have in for the event 34 would be pirate hunters went to a watery grave in their feeble attempts at killing me.

giphy.gif

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[TIMT]
Alpha Tester
74 posts

Being chased and trying to live is half the fun for the pirate/team.  These events are short lived, but really get the community to participate and have a good laugh.

Members
358 posts
3,738 battles

Yes, free stuff is horrible. Shame on WG for trying to hold a fun event and give stuff away, and double shame on the people volunteering their time to make it happen.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Members
653 posts
1 hour ago, Snargfargle said:

From the Mini map I see your in the mix too so I guess your just as bad.

[MKF]
Members
459 posts
17,472 battles
8 minutes ago, _Lord_Scott_ said:

From the Mini map I see your in the mix too so I guess your just as bad.

Ikr. Plus it looks like his team was going to win...

[ARGSY]
Members
1,847 posts
11,991 battles

Just sink the pirate yourself and everyone can get back to complaining about something else.

• Funny 1

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
919 posts
14,166 battles

At that tier, in my own admittedly limited experience, that sort of thing is fairly common whether there is a pirate captain/crew on the red team or not. Situational awareness and use of the mini-map is something, in my opinion, that a great many players never get very good at. (I am not too hot at it myself.) And in a T4 match are unlikely to even be aware is a thing. Not saying the OP is wrong, only that the explanation could be inexperience as much as pirate-killing frenzy.

Respects,

Am

[F4E]
[F4E]
Members
302 posts
12,013 battles

Only 3 Reds left.. I can't foresee that Itchy being a problem..  You even look to be out of his detection. The other 2 don't have a shot at you. AAAARRRR... Why are you not in the Red cap?

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
919 posts
14,166 battles
31 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

en25dnv.gif

That is a very sobering image, brother. All those men on the hull making for the water...

Do you know the history of this particular naval tragedy, by any chance? Or have a link that might allow me to learn more?

Respects,

Am

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
20,898 posts
11,620 battles
1 minute ago, Amracil said:

That is a very sobering image, brother. All those men on the hull making for the water...

Do you know the history of this particular naval tragedy, by any chance? Or have a link that might allow me to learn more?

Respects,

Am

Yeah it is but it is also the best sinking ship image I could find. Luckily our pixel crews are immortal.

• Cool 1

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
919 posts
14,166 battles
4 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

Yeah it is but it is also the best sinking ship image I could find. Luckily our pixel crews are immortal.

Thanks just the same. Hoped I might learn something. I don't do that often enough. lol

Respects,

Am

[90TH]
Members
980 posts
9,088 battles
58 minutes ago, bleeckert said:

Being chased and trying to live is half the fun for the pirate/team.  These events are short lived, but really get the community to participate and have a good laugh.

I thought the event was for players not pirates. Maybe you’re right: it’s really just an event to reward a special few chosen players who want to play pirate.

Anyway, just avoid T4-T7 and/or daytimes this weekend.

We can hate on pirate/Corgi weekends but the odds of WG stopping the event is like the odds of WG nerfing the Stalingrad.

Edited by n00bot

[MKF]
Members
459 posts
17,472 battles
5 minutes ago, n00bot said:

I thought the event was for players not pirates. Maybe you’re right: it’s really just an even to rewards special few chosen players who want to play pirate.

Anyway, just avoid T4-T7 and/or daytimes this weekend.

We can hate on pirate/Corgi weekends but the odds of WG stopping the event is like the odds of WG nerfing the Stalingrad.

I have fun attempting to kill them when they appear in a game and I sincerely hope they don't stop events like this.

• Cool 1

[SEA-S]
Members
3 posts
8,520 battles
50 minutes ago, exray0 said:

Yes, free stuff is horrible. Shame on WG for trying to hold a fun event and give stuff away, and double shame on the people volunteering their time to make it happen.

Nothing is FREE

[HINON]
Members
2,618 posts
7,598 battles
22 minutes ago, Amracil said:

Respects,

Am

that is the HMS Barham sinking and her magazines exploding after being torpedoed by a U-boat

• Cool 1