You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
TypicalEngineer

Free exp to Fiji or keep on grinding for Nelson

23 comments in this topic

Members
101 posts
1,927 battles

So I've been grinding free Xp for a while now and have manage to gather arround 150K'ish of it.

Originally my plan was to grind to the 375k to get the Nelson. However recently the british cruiser line has caught my eye. 

Looking at where I am in the line (tier 3) my free XP would give me just enough to jump to the Tier 7 Fiji.

I have a 10 pt Jack Dunkirk captain on my Hood which can double for the Fiji I guess ( PM, EM, SI, CE).

So is it a wise plan to spend my free exp on the Fiji? I already own a lot of premium BB's, but I'm really lacking some tier 7 cruisers atm. 

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
1,247 posts
4,925 battles

If only we could... Got a slightly used low mileage Edinburgh sitting in port captainless.. would gift it to you but I ain't givin up my Fiji!! :cap_viking:

• Cool 1

Members
101 posts
1,927 battles

So it might be better to grind? I'm a casual player so I don't get to spend that much time on the game.

With the rate I'm going I think it'll be a couple of months before I reach the Nelson.

Is the Nelson really that much better?

[CK5]
Members
830 posts
7,013 battles

If you are grinding to the Fiji, then that means you are playing through the Leander, which is a pretty good ship.  I didn't find the Leander grind to be a chore at all and enjoyed my time playing it.  I would save the FXP and work on the Fiji the old-fashioned way.  If you feel you have to spend the FXP, then get the Nelson.  

[WOLF6]
Members
1,930 posts
4,989 battles

I suck at cruisers, am good in Fiji. Go figure.

[XXX]
Members
840 posts
2,764 battles
9 minutes ago, Thornir said:

I suck at cruisers, am good in Fiji. Go figure.

I do well with Fiji, couldn't in Edinburgh....

[USCG]
Members
240 posts
13,386 battles

Nelson. First off, Leander is a GREAT cruiser...GREAT! (IMO). Don’t skip over her to get to Fiji (which is also great...IMO). 

Nelson is a fun BB with amazing heal & fire start. She’s lots of fun. I’d take whatever coal you have (or $) and make sure you’re running Papa Papa flags in every battle. You’ll have your Nelson soon enough. 

[O_O]
Members
4,581 posts
10,000 battles

Except for a very few turds, I would not recommend using Free XP to skip tech tree ships.  You are typically better served playing the ships and gaining the Player XP (very valuable, not available for purchase!).  Player XP can level you up from Potato to Unicum, positively affect your win rate, and make you much more valuable to your team/clan.

So, save it for Nelson, which is a fun ship.

Members
101 posts
1,927 battles

Well I'm only at tier 3 with the RN CL's. I do have a couple of high tier cruisers.

I was just wondering whether I should kickstart myself up the british line.

Guess that for now I'll keep focussing on grinding free xp for Nelson and do the british cruisers later.

[WOLF2]
Members
1,534 posts
13,557 battles
9 minutes ago, TypicalEngineer said:

Well I'm only at tier 3 with the RN CL's. I do have a couple of high tier cruisers.

I was just wondering whether I should kickstart myself up the british line.

Guess that for now I'll keep focussing on grinding free xp for Nelson and do the british cruisers later.

If you need shortcuts, look for promotions/missions/campaigns with free ships and grinding bonuses 

If you have money and not enough time, look for a good sale in the premium store or grab some X-Mas crates when they come out - ships galore :)

As mentioned, free xp is valuable and you can't buy it unless you go the doubloon route = crazy

Edited by Commander_367

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
16,173 posts
9,527 battles

IFHE Nelson is evil, in theory it can citadel cruisers with its HE.

[WPP]
Members
611 posts
6,101 battles

I have a 19 point Fiji Captain who splits time between the Nelson, Duke of York, and Fiji.  The skills are all fine for all 3 and the little advantage you'd get perfecting the captain for each ship just isn't worth it.  The grind to the Fiji was fun and the Nelson is a very obtainable ship with flags.  Don't skip the lower UK Cruisers.

[RST]
Members
173 posts
15,560 battles

Get the nelson...I don't regret getting mine. Love the ship. 

[AAA]
Members
467 posts
5,874 battles

Another vote for Nelson. Just fun to sale. Makes a great cruiser trainer and credit printer. 

Edited by wstugamd

[ARGSY]
Members
65 posts
3,559 battles

Fiji is the first CA that I feel comfortable in. Not overpowered but capable and fun to play. If they are indeed going to buff British CA smoke then it will be a very strong ship indeed. 

[FTH]
[FTH]
Members
297 posts
11,517 battles

I'll be the odd one out and suggest if you want to go the British line, go for it. I didn't mind the British cruiser grind after I got to Leander, I just hated the single turrets all the way through emerald...you could split the difference, dump the I think 40-50k fxp it would take to get through that to the leander. Then again, if you want the Nelson, I'd instead of spending money on flags, just wait for another 35:1 conversion sale and get it then...4 bucks for flags, vs 20 bucks for 4k doubloons @ 35-1=140k of FXP...if you have good luck grinding free xp out, that's different. I'm actually debating throwing the FXP away on the Nelson myself..either that or wait for Jean Bart, then again they keep nerfing it to the point I'd probly not be missing out on much just taking the Richi into the game.

Members
1,593 posts
8,656 battles

Hey

Having the RN cruiser up to T8 and the Nelson and RN BB's to T10.  I would save the XP for the Nelson and grind the RN cruiser line, the Fiji is tier for tier the best of the RN line IMHO.  The Nelson  is a good boat and quite a beast when properly played but being slow sometimes is a downside.  Get Nelson and grind Fiji.

Pete