You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
jsharpe3

Arsonist Achievment

13 comments in this topic

[JHSAV]
[JHSAV]
Members
33 posts
1,347 battles

I've been trying to get the arsonist achievement and have been unsuccessful to date. I have used all my battle-flags and want to get this achievement so I can complete the second mission task. Does anyone have any suggestions to help me?

Thanks

• Boring 1

[OO7]
Members
3,295 posts
9,731 battles

Make sure you are using he shells? 

You set a ship on fire, keep it on fire, make sure it burns a lot and then kill it. I don't think the kill has to be from burning, you just have to kill it and have the specified burn damage. 

[SYJ]
Members
988 posts
2,257 battles

You do know you can repeat tasks to earn stars in the campaigns right?

Learning that changed my world

Just click on a completed mission and accept the task, do it over again, and get the star

Edited by _1204_

[-BMV-]
Members
346 posts
6,804 battles

If you are truly a new player as your battle number suggests it is very difficult to get arsonist without being a highly skilled player with a high skill point captain.  Arsonist requires that you are the main damage dealer to the ship (and get the kill) but also that the majority of the damage you do is fire damage (I think 40% of their max hp).  If you are aiming for an arsonist your goal should be to spam a ship that has used damage control until it has 2 or more fires on it.  Then ignore it since you don't want to do too much HE damage.  It is pretty much only possible to achieve against ships with heals since more likely than not you will do less than the required fire damage % against ships without heals.  It is much easier achieve on higher tier maps where it is possible to isolate a ship away from your team and his.  King George V, Shchors, and Charles Martel are the first ships that I could typically get arsonist if I tried.  Anything lower tier than that takes quite a bit of luck with both your team not shooting that ship, and you being able to set the number of fires needed to get the 40% fire damage (and also still secure the kill). You can also pull it off with a carrier, but that is probably harder since you probably don't have much if any CV experience.

[NG-NL]
Members
5,096 posts
8,466 battles

This achievement's become much harder since FP captain skill introduced.

For most part I got mine off BBs. It's a prayer to RNGesus that you set a BB ablaze w/ at least 3 fires shortly after his DCP wears off. My experience is Russian and German cruisers are the most consistent at setting fires (RoF), followed by US, IJN, and French.

[PSP]
Members
6,649 posts
9,622 battles

Set a fire on a ship then start shooting at another. Once the first ship puts out the fire then set a fire on it again. Look to see which ships may have been torpedoed and put out floods and set fires on them. Arsonist is possible but it's somewhat rare unless you are in one of the "fire breathing" ships. French cruisers tend to start a lot of fires as do IJN cruisers. Arsonist is not a common award. I only have 22 Arsonists in 7000 plus battles.

[OPG]
Members
4,082 posts
5,849 battles

I've always found arsonist to be an incredibly challenging and random achievement to get.  In order to get it, you basically have to have an enemy ship all to yourself for an extended period of time.  If too many of your teammates shoot him, it means he's more likely to die before you've done enough fire damage to qualify for the achievement, as well as increasing the odds someone else will get the kill......but if you do have an enemy to yourself, he's very like to try and run away to go dark and heal up once you start getting multiple sticky fires on him.  Not to mention, if you yourself do too much raw gun damage to him too quickly, you can actually kill him yourself with out getting the achievement.  To make matters even more challenging, after the semi-recent changes to make fires burn for half the time on cruisers, it's only really practical to get arsonist against BBs.

[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
4,122 posts
13,382 battles

@jsharpe3 Just play and eventually you will get an enemy ship all to yourself and burn it down to the requirements for the medal but also expect to die trying I do often.

[ARRGG]
Members
4,751 posts
7,683 battles
2 hours ago, jsharpe3 said:

I've been trying to get the arsonist achievement and have been unsuccessful to date. I have used all my battle-flags and want to get this achievement so I can complete the second mission task. Does anyone have any suggestions to help me?

Thanks

Some ships are better at starting fires than others, my V Murmansk was a very good fire starter for mid tier, the higher you go the easier it is .. fly flags , light on fire .. repeat

Members
1,716 posts
7,374 battles

A lot depends on the ship that you use.  Personally, I find that Conqueror, Zao, and Khabarovsk can often earn the Arsonist without much trouble.  And yes, with fire changes it only makes sense to get it on BBs, unless you catch CV all by yourself in something like Khaba, but that does not happen all that often.

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Members
1,926 posts
10,381 battles
1 minute ago, Ramsalot said:

Conqueror, Zao, and Khabarovsk can often earn the Arsonist without much trouble

Emile Bertin do the same job, or Russian cruisers starting from Kirov and up ......

Members
1,716 posts
7,374 battles
1 minute ago, ObiphanKenobi said:

Emile Bertin do the same job, or Russian cruisers starting from Kirov and up ......

When it comes to Russian cruisers I only own three of them.  Molotov, Kutuzov, and Moskva.  Of these three Kutuzov does the best job as fire starter, and it does not seem as good at it as the  Conqueror, Zao, and Khaba.  Molotov and Moskva have more effective AP and less effective HE, and Kutuzov often faces higher tier ships with better fire resist vs T8 plus skilled captains with FP.

[JHSAV]
[JHSAV]
Members
33 posts
1,347 battles

Thanks everyone. I’ll give the Russian Cruiser Molotov a try. 

Edited by jsharpe3