You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
ECA

Detection range Broken.

32 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
73 posts
766 battles

First I have to say..

ITS BROKEN.

Being able to see the enemy IF' 1 of my/their team SEE's the other..IS STUPID..

You might add a Shadow, giving a suggestion of WHERE something is, but NOT A VISUAL TARGET.

Iv seen it, Iv used it, Iv watched team mates DESTROYED BY IT...

The Battleships has best view range, and Should not see everything that a Destroyer is seeing 4+ squares away..

Destroyers have small profiles and cant be seen by Battleships until they are reasonably Close..But Iv seen them shoot Long range and kill the destroyers.  Iv seen 3 focus fire the last few destroyers..from the NEXT OVER Control point..

Radar/sonar...DO NOT tell you where and WHAT it is..they tell you SOMETHING is over there.  and its not SUPER accurate, and does not show you the VISUAL TARGET..  you MIGHT get an average size of the ITEM on radar/sonar, but nothing more.

Please fix this.

Even the example you show...Shows that it shouldnt be happening.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 2
  • Bad 6

[STURM]
Members
317 posts
3,127 battles

What?

Are you seriously asking WG to only let ships shoot at things they themselves have spotted? 

God no. That would rip out pretty much everything that defines how the game is played. Destroyers in particular would be almost completely invisible if they never fired their guns. Not to mention vision control is the single most important part of teamwork.

Beta Testers
1,227 posts
8,640 battles

Target relaying is a hold over from World of Tanks, and I wish WoWs developers had been a bit more creative with it.

There needs to be a greater delay from the time enemy ships are spotted and their location relayed to other ships. This could be a great balancing factor and alleviate the complaints about DDs getting focus fired the nano second they are spotted by one ship. 

Radar has been beat to death.

[RKLES]
Members
7,527 posts
9,553 battles
5 minutes ago, Scotty_SE said:

Target relaying is a hold over from World of Tanks, and I wish WoWs developers had been a bit more creative with it.

There needs to be a greater delay from the time enemy ships are spotted and their location relayed to other ships. This could be a great balancing factor and alleviate the complaints about DDs getting focus fired the nano second they are spotted by one ship. 

Radar has been beat to death.

Lol I think some would disagree since they would say “ it is not dead in game yet”. Although I already have adapted to the increases in Radar and made corrections in my play to compensate for the Radar being around.

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,628 posts
8,485 battles

If I recall correctly, many battles, at least by WW2, the enemy ships even firing shells did not always actually "see" each other. The Iowa class bridge appears to be 60m above sea level, meaning they can see 27 km, the max gun range is 39 km. And planes were in fact used to scout out if they were hitting a target. Stuff gets simplified for the game. You had plotting rooms, rang finders, computers, etc doing this stuff. Guys who likely never saw the ship, just had course, speed, and range. Do that in game, it'd be like playing Battleship. 

Beta Testers
73 posts
766 battles
27 minutes ago, WanderingGhost said:

If I recall correctly, many battles, at least by WW2, the enemy ships even firing shells did not always actually "see" each other. The Iowa class bridge appears to be 60m above sea level, meaning they can see 27 km, the max gun range is 39 km. And planes were in fact used to scout out if they were hitting a target. Stuff gets simplified for the game. You had plotting rooms, rang finders, computers, etc doing this stuff. Guys who likely never saw the ship, just had course, speed, and range. Do that in game, it'd be like playing Battleship. 

It was and it STILL IS..

Radar is neat and everything, even Now days..it can see to the over the horizon and above the water..  But close airplanes Look like a Glob.  you will NOT see individual items, when they are REAL close. together.

Ask the Coast guard how much fun it is spotting a PERSON, small BOAT, out at sea.  The Waves make this REAL hard.  ITS NOT FLAT OUT THERE.

Something else you may not see in this game is the DATE these ships came out..FEW are from WWII, and anything before that had Little to nothing except HUMAN EYES to spot things.  And those 80x HUGE binoc's are not the best..

Beta Testers
73 posts
766 battles

The Battle computer and Location abilities, when watching MULTIPLE targets...

WAS FIXED, and mapped...which was a REAL pain..because A MAP big enough to spot something within a (.) wasnt there...everything was an ESTIMATE...If it was not visual, YOU HAD TO HAVE something spotting, and even that Plane could only give a few points to Be accurate..  Moving target suck..

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,628 posts
8,485 battles
12 minutes ago, ECA said:

Radar is neat and everything, even Now days..it can see to the over the horizon and above the water..  But close airplanes Look like a Glob.  you will NOT see individual items, when they are REAL close. together.

Ask the Coast guard how much fun it is spotting a PERSON, small BOAT, out at sea.  The Waves make this REAL hard.  ITS NOT FLAT OUT THERE.

First off, well aware on these things. 

13 minutes ago, ECA said:

Something else you may not see in this game is the DATE these ships came out..FEW are from WWII, and anything before that had Little to nothing except HUMAN EYES to spot things.  And those 80x HUGE binoc's are not the best..

I played back when at least the hull modification dates were given. Why I know "Lexigton" is really "Saratoga", however as these ships are also representations of a class, not specifically that ship unless it's a premium, And many of these ships got various upgrades to fire control, radar, etc. Some ww1 ships were basically rebuilt ground up. 

24 minutes ago, ECA said:

The Battle computer and Location abilities, when watching MULTIPLE targets...

WAS FIXED, and mapped...which was a REAL pain..because A MAP big enough to spot something within a (.) wasnt there...everything was an ESTIMATE...If it was not visual, YOU HAD TO HAVE something spotting, and even that Plane could only give a few points to Be accurate..  Moving target suck..

Again, things I bloody well know. It's why the game "Battleship", is played the way it is and why I used the analogy. And I will again refer you to - 

1 hour ago, WanderingGhost said:

Stuff gets simplified for the game

This is a HISTORICALLY BASED ARCADE GAME. Something spots the ship, much as would happen in reality, it's position gets communicated to any other ship in range. And instead of, again, Battleship style guess and hope, they opted to show you a ship, where you have to figure out lead, and dispersion covers the area part of it so it's more actiony, arcadey, and fun for most.

And if that's not your thing, you might as well leave now because it isn't changing any time soon. 

• Cool 1

[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
4,123 posts
13,452 battles

@ECA Don't hold your breath for the change you are demanding. If you don't like that one of your team mates can spot a target and your whole team can then see it on the map allowing all that can fire on it to do so then please feel free to disregard this information and do not fire on the target(s) and perhaps even go ahead and proceed to move your ship into the waiting trap that the spotting revealed.

Oh yes just a reminder. This Is A Game There Is Nothing Real In This Game!

[WOLF4]
[WOLF4]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
572 posts
9,017 battles

Might as well give up on trying to explain anything to the OP.

Pure gold here,

for those that didn't check his posting history.

Members
1,526 posts
506 battles
3 minutes ago, _GreyBeard_ said:

Might as well give up on trying to explain anything to the OP.

Pure gold here,

for those that didn't check his posting history.

ljky0xQ.gif

Members
1,526 posts
506 battles
5 hours ago, WanderingGhost said:

I played back when at least the hull modification dates were given. Why I know "Lexigton" is really "Saratoga", however as these ships are also representations of a class, not specifically that ship unless it's a premium, And many of these ships got various upgrades to fire control, radar, etc. Some ww1 ships were basically rebuilt ground up. 

Again, things I bloody well know. It's why the game "Battleship", is played the way it is and why I used the analogy. And I will again refer you to - 

This is a HISTORICALLY BASED ARCADE GAME. Something spots the ship, much as would happen in reality, it's position gets communicated to any other ship in range. And instead of, again, Battleship style guess and hope, they opted to show you a ship, where you have to figure out lead, and dispersion covers the area part of it so it's more actiony, arcadey, and fun for most.

And if that's not your thing, you might as well leave now because it isn't changing any time soon. 

V04mDE5.jpg

Beta Testers
73 posts
766 battles
15 hours ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

@ECA Don't hold your breath for the change you are demanding. If you don't like that one of your team mates can spot a target and your whole team can then see it on the map allowing all that can fire on it to do so then please feel free to disregard this information and do not fire on the target(s) and perhaps even go ahead and proceed to move your ship into the waiting trap that the spotting revealed.

Oh yes just a reminder. This Is A Game There Is Nothing Real In This Game!

Take that idea and shove it..

If there is any competition in this game, there will be LOTS of complaints...

"ITS ONLY A GAME"   And the Olympics.. ARE ALL games based on WAR..  so keep saying that..

And even if it IS A FREAKING GAME...  THEY said it was PARt of the game, VISUAL RANGE..

Radar and such cna give a Shadow on the map..  I DONT care..  VISUAL RANGE IS VISUAL RANGE..

There are lots of reasons for Visual range..Besides..

Size of ship.  Speed of ship..PATTERN on the ship..

its that there is a CURVE on this planet..and after a point, you CANT SEE IT..

• Bad 1

Members
232 posts
4,464 battles
20 hours ago, WanderingGhost said:

This. Plus the Soviets had excellent acoustic range-finding gear. It's not all about vision. 

Beta Testers
73 posts
766 battles
13 hours ago, neptunes_wrath said:

ljky0xQ.gif

Nice to find that one...want the rest, as you are only looking at 1 game.

I even mentioned this problem LONG ago, in WOT..  And the size of the tank maps, as well as allot of other things..Go look.

I also Quit the game, along with allot of others..

I could get you a few for Mabinogi(custom), and about 20 other games I play..  MAny got fixed..How about firefall??

And yes, I wish the Noticiation system to be LOUDER..esp. when there are things I need to know..ABOUT to hit an island, or Torps in the way??  Would be nice, if the person on my SHIP would SCREAM IT LOUDER..

THEN the idiots that get hit by MY TORPS, couldnt say they didnt know..  Or that idiot that HIT an island, will KNOW that he is Grounded...and not Moving..and about to be shot and torp'd by at least 3 ships..

Members
1,526 posts
506 battles
7 minutes ago, ECA said:

Nice to find that one...want the rest, as you are only looking at 1 game.

I even mentioned this problem LONG ago, in WOT..  And the size of the tank maps, as well as allot of other things..Go look.

I also Quit the game, along with allot of others..

I could get you a few for Mabinogi(custom), and about 20 other games I play..  MAny got fixed..How about firefall??

And yes, I wish the Noticiation system to be LOUDER..esp. when there are things I need to know..ABOUT to hit an island, or Torps in the way??  Would be nice, if the person on my SHIP would SCREAM IT LOUDER..

THEN the idiots that get hit by MY TORPS, couldnt say they didnt know..  Or that idiot that HIT an island, will KNOW that he is Grounded...and not Moving..and about to be shot and torp'd by at least 3 ships..

SiacBDf.gif

Beta Testers
73 posts
766 battles
2 hours ago, neptunes_wrath said:

SiacBDf.gif

Go and read above if you dont know..its not hard to follow..

[CVA16]
Members
2,441 posts
10,105 battles
On 8/18/2018 at 11:58 PM, WanderingGhost said:

Not the same thing. Within the ship, you have intercoms and direct links from the plotting room and gun directors telling the guns where to point and when to shoot. We are dealing with a time period where ship to ship communications was by morse code and signal lamps/flags. No high speed data links, no GPS.  All the calculations were done based on the relative position, course and speed of the target to your ship. You fired the guns, spotted the fall of shot (visual or radar) and made corrections to your calculations. The amount of target data you would have to transmit to a blind firing ship would be massive, and even then it is mostly relative to your position. No way you could spot shot and give corrections in anything approaching real time. Land artillery ( which is fixed) might pull it off on stationary targets. You could call out map grids. On moving ships the angles and ranges are constantly changing. Historically, I don't think any ship ever hit an intended moving target that it could not see (visual or radar or spotter plane) with guns. I would bet it was never even tried.

However,  this whole GAME is based around being able to do this.

Edited by Sabot_100

Beta Testers
73 posts
766 battles

Sabot..

Did you ever read/watch the movie for the Attack on the coast line, during the landings for WWII...

WE MISSED..  WE missed the WHOLE WALL..

We missed a bombing run by a few miles..

They Blasted the beaches and TRIED to hit the wall..(they were to far away, and no spotters)

AND MISSED.

Beta Testers
73 posts
766 battles
On 8/19/2018 at 12:58 AM, WanderingGhost said:

If I recall correctly, many battles, at least by WW2, the enemy ships even firing shells did not always actually "see" each other. The Iowa class bridge appears to be 60m above sea level, meaning they can see 27 km,

Love that you say it that way..

On 8/19/2018 at 9:09 PM, Comrade_Nemo said:

This. Plus the Soviets had excellent acoustic range-finding gear. It's not all about vision. 

BUT you are not a SUB..  And using Sonar was more for Avoiding torps..  If you can see the ships, you just shoot them.

Members
232 posts
4,464 battles

Heroic Soviet technology was not sonar.  They used microphones & multiple locations to triangulate German artillery locations very accurately. 

[P_P]
Members
3 posts
1,725 battles
On 8/19/2018 at 4:07 AM, WanderingGhost said:

I remember running SAR in a 82' Point class boat..... 8-10'swells, sideways rain, and fog. Couldn't see 100 yards off the cutter.... radar was useless too!!