You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
457th_FighterGroup

Opinions on Kongo

34 comments in this topic

Members
218 posts
2,117 battles

Hey guys,

I've been thinking about a line to grind, or a ship to get. One of the ships I'm looking at is Kongo. Is she a good ship at the moment or has she been powercrept to oblivion? I've seen both opinions.

Members
1,205 posts
3,161 battles

Still the best tier 5 battleship in my opinion. All of the IJN BBs are very good even after all this time. My first line, and I still highly recommend them. They even made the tier 3 and 4 more bearable. 

[PVE]
Members
15,346 posts
10,157 battles

I just unlocked and purchased the T7 Nagato recently. The IJN BB line is still good. There have been a few buffs to the line over time to keep up with power creep. Some people will say the line needs more buffs, but I think it has stood up.

You will of course need to grind to the T3 Tenryu Cruiser to get to the T3 Kawachi. The Kawachi and Myogi are not great, but serviceable. The line for me really picked up with the Kongo.

I have mine set up with the AA module, so my long range AA (40 dps) is at 6km, so I can start trying to shoot down planes. When I get AFT, it will go to 7.2km. It's AA DPS isn't great, but I see more CVs in PvE than in PvP. I would not go AA build for PvP unless CVs come back in a big way.

If you go with the Aiming systems upgrade in the 3rd slot, you get the dispersion down to 220m from 237m for a little more accuracy.

if you go with the Secondary gun upgrade in the 3rd slot, you can get the secondary range to 4.8km and 5.76km with AFT. 14x1 152mm AP guns and 4x2 HE guns. Not really big for PvP, but in PvE the bots will drive a lot closer.

The Kongo is a long range BB with the main guns reaching out to 21.2km, but you will want to stay under 20km to get better shots. I wouldn't get into brawling range if you can help it as the armor is not as thick as other BBs, so stay angled as well.

Since you are going up the first part of the IJN cruiser line to get to the IJN BBs, you can continue the cruiser line as well. I have bought the T7 Myoko and it is a good ship. The line has pretty good ships overall IMO and I have liked them all. They generally have long range torps until the other lines start to get closer at higher tiers.

I have the T8 Atago, so I think the T8 Mogami will be good as well, it is just that the Mogami won't have a heal like the Atago does. If you can get the Atago cheap, it is a very good IJN heavy cruiser. The Mogami has both 155mm guns and 203mm guns, so it can be a light or heavy cruiser which is nice. I plan on playing the Mogami mostly with the 15 (5x3) 155mm guns and using the Atago as a heavy cruiser as it only has the big guns. The heavy cruiser version is 10 (5x2) 203mm guns. So with the Mogami, you get both versions. FYI, during the period before WWII, Japan built the Mogami with the 155mm guns to fit the naval treaty rules. After the treaties were over right before the war, the Mogami's were rebuilt with 203mm guns. The ships were planned with this in mind as the turrets were roughly the same size, so swapping could be done with minimal rebuilding.

• Cool 1

[KNTI2]
Members
887 posts
6,395 battles

Kongo is the best tier V tech tree BB in terms of uptiering. No other tier V tech BB has over 20 km base range (which you won't generally use, but it's nice to have the option; you can even extend it with its spotter plane) with 30 kt speed, which allows it to be competitive even in a T7 match.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
6,204 posts

Ramming Speed !!!!

Main Guns are wonky and weak.

If you can't kill it..   RAM IT !!

[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,359 posts
7,944 battles
37 minutes ago, CarbonButtprint said:

Still the best tier 5 battleship in my opinion

Best non-premium tier 5 battleship

• Cool 3

Members
2 posts
3,887 battles

I have played the Kongo, New York and Konig.  Not gone up the Jap line yet any further.  My go to Tier 5 is the Konig hands down. It fit my play style so much better.  I'm loving the German BB line so far and am at T6. 

[HUNGS]
Members
1,696 posts
3,603 battles

Shes a gud boat but her concealment is really really bad. I found her sweet zone to be around 12-15 km but like the rest of the T5 ships, she suffers from most of her matches being in T7 and 15" and 16" shells hurt allot. Its tempting to use her speed to stay close to the cruisers but she can't drop off the face of the map like cruisers can. Handling is also poor, she is long and makes wide turns which makes her a very inviting target for DDs and torpedo planes. Her guns are solid with good penetration but she does suffer from a lack of guns (which the Fuso fixes). I like her because she rewards skillful play but she is easy to take out when you make a mistake, especially if your in a T7 match

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,493 posts
15,488 battles

Kongo is not a Battleship, she is a battlecruiser.

Her armour is not that tough broadsided. Angled she does very well.

Those guns...oh my, she is fast and fun.

And just think she leads to the Fuso, Nagato, Amagi....all 3 very good ships.

[FML]
Members
2,703 posts
12,488 battles
2 hours ago, 457th_FighterGroup said:

Hey guys,

I've been thinking about a line to grind, or a ship to get. One of the ships I'm looking at is Kongo. Is she a good ship at the moment or has she been powercrept to oblivion? I've seen both opinions.

The Kongo is stronger than it stats suggest - I think its been brought down my many new players trying to go up the line to the Yamato before they've learnt the basics of the game. 

Whilst the T3 and T4 are garbage (seriously, free XP them), the Kongo is good, the Fuso is very good, the Nagato is very good and the Amagi is situationally very strong, but overall good.  I have only played the Izumo on the PTS, but I intend to free XP past it for the Yamato.  

Generally, they can be characterised as strong main guns, but weaker armour. They play like pure battleships should - strike hard and at range (eg, 14-16km) for the most part.  

I had started BBs on the German line, and with the Nagato I was amazed that you could regularly hit things to 10k+ where normally i'd be surprised for 1 overpen to hit... But they cant take hits, and it is too tempting to drive broadside to get all your guns to whack stuff, to pay attention to enemy bbs shooting back as you're looking down range.  

German BBs are your main food (aim for top half of the hull). Savour them. 

[MAHAN]
Beta Testers
1,535 posts
5,851 battles

It up-tiers better than some of the other tier V BB/CCs thanks to its speed and decent guns, and that trait is awfully important because you are playing tier VII most of the time.

[-AGW-]
Members
830 posts
11,643 battles

Great ship. Too many people get stuck in driving it straight and letting the guns do the work as if it were just a battleship. Drive it like a battle-CRUISER. And do take advantage of the enormous range with the spotter plane. 

I once deleted a red CV right across Two Brothers map with its guns.

Edited by NashW8

[WORX]
Members
4,566 posts
15,432 battles

in the IN BB line the tier 4 and 9 ships are the worst BBs in the line. All the other BBs are good, very good, or tolerable. 

[WOLF3]
Members
20,943 posts
19,393 battles

Kongo is fine.  It's just MM shafts her, just like every other Tier V-VI ship in the game.

Unless you are sailing in Caesar.

Her speed is her greatest asset and it prevents her from being easily run down by some very dangerous, fast sailing BBs in Tier VII that make their living feasting on 21kt BBs.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[WOLF3]
Members
1,498 posts
5,911 battles

I loved my run in the Kongo.  She is an absolute BEAST at tier 5.  Hard hitting, long range, SPEED!  She is the total package.

Absolute best BB in tier 5, hands down.

Having said that, Fuso will disappoint after playing the Kongo.  She is slower and can be seen from orbit.  I really don't like her at all.

Members
2,240 posts
509 battles
3 minutes ago, Captain_Slattery said:

I loved my run in the Kongo.  She is an absolute BEAST at tier 5.  Hard hitting, long range, SPEED!  She is the total package.

Absolute best BB in tier 5, hands down.

Having said that, Fuso will disappoint after playing the Kongo.  She is slower and can be seen from orbit.  I really don't like her at all.

RIvX3LR.gif

they BOTH can be seen from orbit.... and Fuso is MUCH better than Kongo.... but you have to not play COOP to know that...

[MKF]
Members
459 posts
17,466 battles
8 hours ago, neptunes_wrath said:

one of the best things about the Kongo is that it leads to the Fuso.... one of THE BEST tier for tier BBs IMHO

Still love my Fuso... far and away my favorite T6 BB

• Cool 1

Members
2,240 posts
509 battles
3 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Kongo is fine.  It's just MM shafts her, just like every other Tier V-VI ship in the game.

Unless you are sailing in Caesar.

Her speed is her greatest asset and it prevents her from being easily run down by some very dangerous, fast sailing BBs in Tier VII that make their living feasting on 21kt BBs.

OMG I LOVE THE CAESAR!!!!!

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,519 posts
12,810 battles

Kongo is in great shape.  She's the best T5 tech tree BB imo