You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Madman7

Gearing meh?

25 comments in this topic

[WOLF8]
Beta Testers
492 posts
4,321 battles

I have only had a handful of games in gearing, but it feels so underpowered coming from Fletcher. I have pretty much the same mod/build and it just feels sluggish and clumsy. 

I hope it gets better.  

Members
2,111 posts
509 battles

for as long as I remember it has always been referred to as a "side-grade" rather than an upgrade... but still her guns are pretty nasty in a knife fight..
I have had the Fletcher forever and never got the Gearing, and likely never will..

[90TH]
Members
972 posts
8,849 battles

Fletcher is good, but that doesn’t mean Gearing is bad.

With all the radar, I’ve returned to using the Gearing to lay smoke for cruisers... just outside radar range. It’s still a powerful tactic. And of course the daka daka is still great. You can fight any other DD.

What’s not to love?

[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,397 posts
14,922 battles

16.5 km torps.

Insane firing rate.

I like Gearing better than Fletcher, especially with all the radar now.

My highest damage game was my 4th match in Gearing, 208k 4 ships...loss as I was last alive and couldn't get solo warrior....

She is my main ship in clan wars with an above 50% win rate.

• Cool 3

[SYN]
Members
3,471 posts
17,188 battles

I understand where you are coming from but overall it is still an upgrade just not a big improvement.

in Gearing it's all about force multiplication.

No other DD is as strong working with the team and it is the best close in brawler of all DDs with fast turrets and DPM. Even a Khab has to tread lightly in close. At range it is a different story but with your concealment you can dictate most of those encounters.  

[WOLF8]
Beta Testers
492 posts
4,321 battles
6 hours ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

16.5 km torps.

Insane firing rate.

My highest damage game was my 4th match in Gearing, 208k 4 ships...loss as I was last alive and couldn't get solo warrior....

Are the 16.5 mm toros worth the extra reload time?

Also, I do agree she is good in a knife fight... getting super close without getting nuked is the challenge for me. 

Thanks for the comments all.

[RKLES]
4,397 posts
14,922 battles
2 hours ago, Madman7 said:

Also, I do agree she is good in a knife fight... getting super close without getting nuked is the challenge for me. 

Yes.

The ability to torp beyond radar is a godsend.

You can torp alley ways ships pushing take, I use RPF.

And torping to slow a push is nice.

I have killed or severely wounded cruiser dog into an island.

I have very few games in randoms with her due to using her in clan wars.

[WOLF8]
Beta Testers
492 posts
4,321 battles
13 hours ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

16.5 km torps.

Insane firing rate.

[RKLES]
4,397 posts
14,922 battles
4 hours ago, Madman7 said:

Yes. 16.5 have a 1.4 detection range. Reasonably fast and hit pretty hard.

They did add the option to carry the Fletcher torps, but 10km is not far enough for clan wars.

My role in clan wars as a Gearing is to get a cap and spot enemy.

Launch torps at dug in cruisers or delay a push.

Remember the guns are the big thing with Gearing.

Radar in clan wars is your biggest enemy.

[_RNG_]
Beta Testers
152 posts
5,919 battles
On 8/19/2018 at 3:41 PM, dEsTurbed1 said:

Yes. 16.5 have a 1.4 detection range. Reasonably fast and hit pretty hard.

They did add the option to carry the Fletcher torps, but 10km is not far enough for clan wars.

My role in clan wars as a Gearing is to get a cap and spot enemy.

Launch torps at dug in cruisers or delay a push.

I have been using a Gearing with 16.5 range and Torp Acceleration which decrease overall range to 13.2 KM.  The 13.2 KM torps at 71 KM speed have worked well for me in CW.  Flanking sitting radar ships at rest behind islands and very fast torps has broken a number of ship sitting parties.  I think the reload time is 104 seconds.  I recently added the legendary module which will impact torp reload to 109 seconds.  The increased reload time can certainly be an issue, but I spend more time traveling with armed torps positioning for shots than I do waiting for torps to load.  Of course, everything is situational and there are times is will matter and other times it will not matter.  

While the guns fire at 3.6 seconds rather than 3.2 seconds, the lower detection guarantees you the first volley.  It was always annoying in CW to be detected by a Shimma and not be able to see him immediately.  With lower detection, the Gearing sees everything except the Asashio.  In addition, it is relatively rare to be able to sit and spam volley after volley of HE.  It happens, but not that often.  Most of the time it is close quarters fighting where maneuvering impacts ROF anyway as guns traverse.

So far I am happy with the faster torps and think the 13 KM range is fine and is a nice trade off.

Soryu

[RKLES]
4,397 posts
14,922 battles
2 hours ago, Soryu007 said:

I have been using a Gearing with 16.5 range and Torp Acceleration which decrease overall range to 13.2 KM.  The 13.2 KM torps at 71 KM speed have worked well for me in CW.  Flanking sitting radar ships at rest behind islands and very fast torps has broken a number of ship sitting parties.  I think the reload time is 104 seconds.  I recently added the legendary module which will impact torp reload to 109 seconds.  The increased reload time can certainly be an issue, but I spend more time traveling with armed torps positioning for shots than I do waiting for torps to load.  Of course, everything is situational and there are times is will matter and other times it will not matter.  

While the guns fire at 3.6 seconds rather than 3.2 seconds, the lower detection guarantees you the first volley.  It was always annoying in CW to be detected by a Shimma and not be able to see him immediately.  With lower detection, the Gearing sees everything except the Asashio.  In addition, it is relatively rare to be able to sit and spam volley after volley of HE.  It happens, but not that often.  Most of the time it is close quarters fighting where maneuvering impacts ROF anyway as guns traverse.

So far I am happy with the faster torps and think the 13 KM range is fine and is a nice trade off.

Soryu

I'll have to check and see if my captain build will allow torp acceleration...

I rely on RPF  for clan wars. He is 19 points...

Thanks for the info.

[_RNG_]
Beta Testers
152 posts
5,919 battles
13 hours ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

I'll have to check and see if my captain build will allow torp acceleration...

I rely on RPF  for clan wars. He is 19 points...

Thanks for the info.

You can do it with RPF since my 19 PT captain has it.  However, you do have to give up something with two points.

http://shipcomrade.com/captcalc/1000000000010001011000000000001119

Beta Testers
1,941 posts
10,762 battles

TA in general is a trap. It doesn't really buy you much. Gearing's 66kt torps are already quite stealthy and fast. There's really no need to waste 2 points on it.

Edited by chewonit
  • Cool 1

[TFLT]
[TFLT]
Members
181 posts
9,727 battles

Whenever a new Destroyer at X is announced many sound the alarm of the impending irrelevance of the Gearing. Just because it's been around since Launch doesn't mean it isn't still just a good as it was. It suffers the same power creep that all DDs have had to deal with (smoke fire nerf, Radar ships...and more Radar Ships, Carrier Spotting, The doubling of Spotter planes launched, Radio Location and other issues). Just like the other DDs. 

I would submit that it is in a better place to deal with most challenges as its 16K torps that hit hard and are quite fast allow it a standoff ability. It also has an AA consumable that many DDs wish they had. It also has the enviable position of not needing to spend 4 Captains Points on IFHE unlike many others allowing it flexibility to go RL or other options.

Personally I like my Torps to be effective on DDs as well giving you a real advantage in cap control fights vs the many many Pan Asian DDs seen in Ranked and even normal Random Play.

I find Gearing to be a Gote Bote, but as always...your mileage may varry. Cheers.

[SCREW]
Members
589 posts
6,414 battles
On 8/18/2018 at 9:55 PM, Madman7 said:

I have only had a handful of games in gearing, but it feels so underpowered coming from Fletcher. I have pretty much the same mod/build and it just feels sluggish and clumsy. 

I hope it gets better.  

Gearing and Shima are the best examples of power creep in the game tbh, when there was nothing else it was fine, but every DD they add brings something new to the fight and further alienates the 2 original t10 DDs. They did both get slight buffs in the last few patches tho.

[TFLT]
[TFLT]
Members
181 posts
9,727 battles
On 8/28/2018 at 6:53 PM, Sethanas said:

Gearing and Shima are the best examples of power creep in the game tbh, when there was nothing else it was fine, but every DD they add brings something new to the fight and further alienates the 2 original t10 DDs. They did both get slight buffs in the last few patches tho.

Silly to compare Gearing to Shima as far as power creep. Gearing  is a very competitive ship...in Guns and Torps as well as AA and Detection.   Just because Gearing isn't new and sexy means nothing. It still does very well and is used across the board in Clan Wars, Random, Ranked (this one and last) by all the top clans. Gearing is a solid ship and has been no more power creeped than ANY other DD......in fact its amazing torps have helped it resist probs other DDs suffer like being able to Torp outside of Radar Range and counter CVs spotting/harassing or striking it.

Shimma is an ENTIRELY different story being ONLY a Torp Boat who has worse torps than the new ships and no longer the best at Stealth, vulnerable to all things the Gearing isn't.

Nothing wrong with Gearing....

[DRACS]
Members
4,692 posts

Gearing is still a very very good ship. Ridiculous rate of fire on six guns, good torps (now with two options), and a 21mm 'main belt' that offers some protection against 128mm and lower HE shells.

The reason people complain about this ship is that other ships will come along with some really cool feature ... except that those players will not take into account all the cons. Gearing is basically a jack of all trades master of none. She's an extremely adaptable DD that can do everything, even if there are other DDs that are better at specific tasks. There's a reason why Gearing is so popular in competitive. You rarely ever run into a situation where you're thinking you should have taken a different ship.

• Cool 1

[TOG]
Members
3,546 posts
18,761 battles

the Gearing is a generalist. You can configure her into a torp boat or a gun boat, depending on your tastes. I have been using the 10.5 km torps successfully. with a 1.1 km detection range, you have about 2-3 seconds to react. RDF is useful.

[SIC]
Members
8 posts
2,404 battles

Reading all of the conjecture over the various technical aspects of the “ships” in WoW is always entertaining. I’ve found that overall design of WoW is basically World of Tanks with “boats”. So any attempt to portray WoW as a Naval warfare simulation ( Recognizing that WoW was never intended to be an accurate simulation ) is a joke...I DO play, however, I’ve found that the number of matches that I enjoy is few and far between. I imagine if you are in a clan that the level of satisfaction is much higher...I do understand that from a commercial point of view and for simplicity that only so much can be incorporated into the game...Good luck!

Edited by Nishimura_2
Error in spelling/syntax

[CRMSN]
5,938 posts
4,265 battles

Ever since Gearing received the mk16's she went from a side grade to an upgrade. 

Those torps are heavy hitting and put down most ships with ease. I really enjoy pubing with the Gearing and the mk 16's and saving the 17's for the radar heavy env that is CW. 

All in all with RPF , the ship is a monster and can be payed with great success in almost any scenario. 

[RCNW]
[RCNW]
Members
80 posts
14,540 battles

In my opinion Fletcher and Gearing excels in different ways and players should adjust their playstyle accordingly. 

Fletcher is maneuverable with torps that pack a punch, which allows you to rush in and rush out.

The exact same playstyle doesnt work on Gearing. If you rush in, you're dead because Gearing is a giant floating iron that turns like a truck.

Gearing requires a think-ahead-of-3-moves playstyle.

The torps doesn't pack a punch, but the range is really good, a whopping 16 km. 

Coupled with RL, you can set up a great area denial trap for the enemy ships.

The guns shoot fast, but your ship eats shells too. Bear in mind though, your 21mm plating can shatter DD shells.

As of now, BBAP can only do this much. You're guaranteed to have an advantage in 1 vs. 1 dd duel.

How to create a 1 vs.1 DD scenario. RL and thank-ahead-of-3moves playstyle come into play.

Don't play gearing the way you play fletcher. Rush in, pop smoke and turn and hope you can escape unscathed.

Fletcher is good at reacting to the thick of the battle. 

Gearing, on the other hand, excels in setting up trap for enemy to jump in.

If you feel interested, you can take a look at my replay. (Unfortunately, they haven't turned into youtube vid yet)

On a side note, the Ovechkin captain works great on Gearing, the extra 500 hp really helps.

https://replayswows.com/replay/35700#stats

https://replayswows.com/replay/35698#stats

Members
20 posts
5,543 battles

The gearing is just fine. Stop using the fletcher torps and the legendary mod sucks for randoms. Use the 16.5 torps and get guns down to 2.7 secs. 

As for the shimma it’s already on the verge of being OP with the recent buffs. Who cares about the detection of torps when you can sling 15 at a target or targets. 

Edited by siners_nest

Members
46 posts
2,626 battles
21 hours ago, siners_nest said:

The gearing is just fine. Stop using the fletcher torps and the legendary mod sucks for randoms. Use the 16.5 torps and get guns down to 2.7 secs. 

As for the shimma it’s already on the verge of being OP with the recent buffs. Who cares about the detection of torps when you can sling 15 at a target or targets. 

I'm going to disagree with you on the torps.  Gearing getting the Fletcher torps was a game changer on that ship for me.  I used to rarely play it.  Now I play it all the time.  It feels so much better to be able to fire off more torps.  I'm not even putting in any points on torps, it just feels better.  I'm definitely getting way more torps hits.  I'm not saying the Gearing torps are bad.  I know some people prefer them.  I'll hold my judgement of the legendary mod until I get it, but my first thought is you may be undervaluing concealment too much, even for randoms.  I'll see when I get it.

Members
20 posts
5,543 battles

I think my stats in the ship speak for itself. If you like short torps at t10 then play em and if you want to turn a gun boat into a Kagero go ahead. Gearing can be a bully or can be some weird mixture of concealment and short torps putting you in radar range consistently negating the concealment the legendary mod offers and reducing your best asset in your guns.  I guess some people just struggle with the ship and try and find some way to justify putting 10km torps when 16s are available. Just my opinion.....good luck 

[CUTER]
Members
2,699 posts
11,717 battles

Here's a bit how I play Gearing in randoms.  Maybe it helps you.  Damage wise I got lucky on two floodings, but either I would get the damage, or my team would in fires.  The real plays were my smoke permitting my team to get in close to cap pretty safely, the spotting I provided, my torps dislodging BBs trying to establish effective fires, and finally taking out the enemy DD contesting cap after his support was pushed back.  I consider this game near perfect in my execution of the basics of good DD play.