Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
So_lt_Goes

Any Rumors of a Sim counterpart?

21 comments in this topic

[_-_]
Members
2,151 posts

I'm curious as to whether any of the community with the "inside scoobies" on what's brewing at WG have heard anything about a true simulation version of Warships. Most of the WW2 naval sims out there are either old or, in the case of That Other Company that sounds like stormy weather, is junk. I beta-tested That Other Game for about 20 matches and the UI and aiming mechanics both blew big chunks.

Seems to me a lot of the heavy graphics/model work is already available, but it would be a complete re-write of everything else, a huge undertaking.

Still, there's a market out there to be disrupted, and WG is a programming powerhouse.

Anyone heard if WG is interested or actually working on a true simulation with basically the same UI and ship repertoire?

Edited by TF77
Spelling

[N-W-T]
Members
1,629 posts
6,722 battles

That's a small, small, audience, and a lot of effort.  Also not Wargaming's forte... their devs are focused on arcade play.

Not sure it would work, either.  Silent Hunter was great because the submarine gameplay encouraged slow, methodical planning.  Not sure that would translate into surface warfare.  

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Members
11,042 posts

I doubt it any time soon. They are currently working on the console version of WOWS and a full on sim would be more niche than the game currently is. A sim is more fitting for a single player game.

Members
1,206 posts
3,169 battles

Too much effort put in by WG, too small of an audience and too little of a reward on their part. I'd rather they keep their current team working on Warships, the game is very fun (aside form balance) and looks very good. 

[LOU1]
Members
3,678 posts
10,000 battles

There already is a full sim or two out there from other groups.  From what I have seen, it takes about a week for the players to prepare for the battle.  Then it takes several hours over a weekend to play out the battle.  I won't post the link here, but you can find it with a Google search.  The full sims are operated by the Naval War college and similar entities.

The primary issue with a sim is the time involved.  Take the flight sims I used to love.  It would take about half-an-hour to read the mission, plot a course on the map and outfit my plane (fuel and ordnance loadouts balanced against speed and endurance with any refueling stops).  Then you would take off and fly for anywhere between 15 minutes to an hour.  Do the 5 minute engagement.  Hopefully, survive and fly back to base.x

It is a similar situation with driving simulator.  One of my sims has the Indy 500.  Takes several hours to do those 500 laps...

Edited by ExploratorOne

[DAKI]
Beta Testers
3,166 posts
4,672 battles
2 hours ago, TF77 said:

I'm curious as to whether any of the community with the "inside scoobies" on what's brewing at WG have heard anything about a true simulation version of Warships. Most of the WW2 naval sims out there are either old or, in the case of That Other Company that sounds like stormy weather, is junk. I beta-tested That Other Game for about 20 matches and the UI and aiming mechanics both blew big chunks.

Seems to me a lot of the heavy graphics/model work is already available, but it would be a complete re-write of everything else, a huge undertaking.

Still, there's a market out there to be disrupted, and WG is a programming powerhouse.

Anyone heard if WG is interested or actually working on a true simulation with basically the same UI and ship repertoire?

the other game makes a pretty solid gaming however, id rank the company behind it with the likes of EA, the sheer greed they display is disgusting.

you mean you would send a tank crew out without a repair kit or fire extinguisher? mechanics like those that literally exist because they want to nickle and dime you. and the grind is just beyond disgusting...unless you pay, you will likely never advance regardless of how well you do. then of course the spawn killing is just a part of the game to them, they make no attempts to fix it. just a trash company overall with some people who could actually do some solid work elsewhere.

that said WG probably wont do a sim, its really not there jam. although i would be interested in it if they did. I think they could probably do it, but theyd need to dump some major cash in order to get there.

also worth noting that other company can barely even fill a sim match, usually you just sit in que for a few hours and give up. Then on top of that, you cant play just anything, you have to use something from a list they made.

[WOLF3]
Members
20,970 posts
19,424 battles

Naval Simulators?  Those are absolutely, totally, extremely niche.  I would not hold my breath for one.  Arcade naval games are the closest you'll ever get.  The only naval games that really adhere to realism and authenticity are naval strategy games, and that's not your alley if you were hoping for a "WoWS:  Simulator Edition."

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,519 posts
12,810 battles
On 8/18/2018 at 6:59 PM, TF77 said:

The original game in Alpha was more sim-like.  Then the decision was made to go arcade to appeal to a broader audience.  It was likely a smart move.

[_-_]
Members
2,151 posts
10 hours ago, crzyhawk said:

The original game in Alpha was more sim-like.  Then the decision was made to go arcade to appeal to a broader audience.  It was likely a smart move.

I realize that, which is why I inquired about a parallel sim development.

I still play the heck out Jane's Fleet Command with the NWS update, but that's 70's-80's era. I love the UI, which mimics an older NTDS console.

I gave BSP and BSM a try, but they felt bloated and cartoonish to me.

Members
734 posts
62 battles
On 19.8.2018 at 3:05 AM, Hanger_18 said:

the other game makes a pretty solid gaming however, id rank the company behind it with the likes of EA, the sheer greed they display is disgusting.

you mean you would send a tank crew out without a repair kit or fire extinguisher? mechanics like those that literally exist because they want to nickle and dime you. and the grind is just beyond disgusting...unless you pay, you will likely never advance regardless of how well you do. then of course the spawn killing is just a part of the game to them, they make no attempts to fix it. just a trash company overall with some people who could actually do some solid work elsewhere.

that said WG probably wont do a sim, its really not there jam. although i would be interested in it if they did. I think they could probably do it, but theyd need to dump some major cash in order to get there.

also worth noting that other company can barely even fill a sim match, usually you just sit in que for a few hours and give up. Then on top of that, you cant play just anything, you have to use something from a list they made.

You make it look like other games apart from the stormy weather one don’t have any issues.

Yes Groundforces has some problems too but the overall game is pretty good. 

Btw I like WOWS but I don’t think it is perfect either. For me it is too cartoonish - I also prefer games a little more grown-up and realistic but apparently the market for auch games is smaller.

[DAKI]
Beta Testers
3,166 posts
4,672 battles
10 hours ago, lron_Dog_of_Jutland said:

You make it look like other games apart from the stormy weather one don’t have any issues.

Yes Groundforces has some problems too but the overall game is pretty good. 

Btw I like WOWS but I don’t think it is perfect either. For me it is too cartoonish - I also prefer games a little more grown-up and realistic but apparently the market for auch games is smaller.

they are issues which will not be fixed because the company behind it makes money off frustration mechanics.

Members
734 posts
62 battles
8 hours ago, Hanger_18 said:

they are issues which will not be fixed because the company behind it makes money off frustration mechanics.

Hard to deny thinking about researcheable repair kits and fire extinguishers. Still a well done game and less cartoonish 

[-RNG-]
Members
260 posts
5,750 battles
On 8/18/2018 at 9:05 PM, Hanger_18 said:

you mean you would send a tank crew out without a repair kit or fire extinguisher? mechanics like those that literally exist because they want to nickle and dime you. and the grind is just beyond disgusting

So its OK to send a ship out without an upgraded hull or firecontrol? I smell what you cookin & while I aint carrying water for the other guy, dont dig hypocrisy. WG has it just the same as they do. They ALL out to make money & you know what, I am OK with that! I expect to be paid for the work I am doing too. 

I am primarily a simmer & that is what initially brought me to WoWs. While I would love to see WG do a true blue sim as has been said they are time consuming & complex, 2 facets that modern western society eschews. 

On 8/18/2018 at 8:16 PM, ExploratorOne said:

It is a similar situation with driving simulator.  One of my sims has the Indy 500.  Takes several hours to do those 500 laps...

200 laps bruh, Brickyard is 2.5mi long. Sorry to nitpick, race fan here. Still a long race though.  The race sim I use is far more expensive than WoWs so you can probably guess which one but the online races I do are shorter, typically 30-50% of the real race length. Still grueling though! 

[187]
Members
1,588 posts
8,676 battles

So basically all your replies have been speculation and the answer to your question is no. No one has heard anything solid in regards to creating a simulation.

[WOLF3]
Members
20,970 posts
19,424 battles

Wargamer has a list of some naval warfare games.

https://www.wargamer.com/articles/naval-war-games-subsim/

Some of that stuff is old, one from 1999.  It varies from hardcore submarine sims to RTS style.  Naval games as you can see, are absolutely, totally niche.  As for controlling a specific ship in a hardcore sim setting, only submarines have really gotten that kind of attention.  For other surface ships, if you want hardcore, it's more along the lines of strategy games.

If you're looking for simulation with cutting edge graphics for surface ships, you're not going to find it.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[NATO]
Beta Testers
2,089 posts
6,231 battles

Wargames in general are already a niche market within the gaming community. Add in the current lack of support for console gamers which makes WoWs a niche within a niche. Then for a sim you would get down to a niche within a niche within a niche market. 

I suspect that a WW2 PvP naval sim game would be a cash up front game of over $100, more $ for any add on's, more $ for monthly fees.

While I would jump at the chance for a more detailed level of combat in WoWs, its not going to happen and the dev's have decided to go the arcade route. Rather than introduce training packages to ease players into a more gratifying and detailed gaming experience with lots of extras (like extensive modifications of an existing ship), they've chosen to tailor the game towards the instant gratification generation.

It is possible the route they chose is better in general, but TBH this game is like a roast beef and mashed potato dinner without any gravy.....its good as is but something is missing to make it better.

[DAKI]
Beta Testers
3,166 posts
4,672 battles
13 hours ago, MizzenMast said:

So its OK to send a ship out without an upgraded hull or firecontrol? I smell what you cookin & while I aint carrying water for the other guy, dont dig hypocrisy. WG has it just the same as they do. They ALL out to make money & you know what, I am OK with that! I expect to be paid for the work I am doing too. 

ive been playing WT GF since release and still only have like 3 t4 vehicles. And its not like im bad, i think i rank better than like 80% of the people who play SB

you underestimate the power of the darkside.

(meanwhile im sitting on 50M credits and 1.4M free exp here)

Members
1,024 posts

Many of us played WOWs with the realistic flooding and ships slowing. The game really sucked IMHO. 

I really look at this as a WIP for an AI version that allows you to view what appears to be real ships and aircraft. What we are playing now is to just get experience and Data for future top to bottom new versions of the game. 

[ARGSY]
Members
1,847 posts
11,991 battles

As much as I like the Sims, I don't see any need for another one. There's already too many Fletchers, so let's not repeat that mistake.

• Funny 1

[GUYS]
Alpha Tester
2,725 posts
3,743 battles
On 8/18/2018 at 5:17 PM, DouglasMacAwful said:

That's a small, small, audience, and a lot of effort.  Also not Wargaming's forte... their devs are focused on arcade play.

Not sure it would work, either.  Silent Hunter was great because the submarine gameplay encouraged slow, methodical planning.  Not sure that would translate into surface warfare.  

One of my favorite mods for Silent Hunter III was a Surface Ships mod. Made the game a bit too arcady, but it was still fun and you got most of the planning done the same as in a Type VII...just with Scharnhorst or Bismarck or any major class of the German Surface Fleet.

I would honestly love to see a more realistic game with surface ships but I doubt we'll get one any time soon.

Members
734 posts
62 battles
14 hours ago, C_D said:

So basically all your replies have been speculation and the answer to your question is no. No one has heard anything solid in regards to creating a simulation.

Not really speculating. I don’t think there is such thing out there. Hopes were high for WT until they announced they’ll do motor boats and dinghies only. That killed it entirely. Not even sure if it ever went live.

To your original question: no. And not likely gonna happen. 

If at all something totally different by a different company. WG likes dead simple arcade (for dummies). Look at their other products (or better not in the case if Warplanes if you value your free time). WOWS is at least good fun.

Sign in to follow this