You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
legoboy0401

The Role Of "Out There/Oddball" Ship Setups and Tactics In Defeating The Enemy

Have you ever switched up the loadout or tactics of one of your ships when it seems everyone knows how to deal with it?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever switched up the loadout of one of your ships when it seems everyone knows how to deal with it?

2. 2. Have you ever switched up the tactics of one of your ships when it seems everyone knows how to deal with it?

• yes
    • no
    • I don't remember

7 comments in this topic

Members
3,042 posts
1,915 battles

I've always had one belief in WG "World Of" titles that I've held since I first played WoT(I now don't play it) up until now(in WoWS, and I just had a battle in my Marblehead that confirmed it, once again.

It is, "If the playerbase has gotten to the point where most of them know exactly how to deal with the commonly accepted set-up of a certain vehicle, change it. Go for something not mainstream, something radical, something CRAZY even, just so long as it gives you an advantage. Go for something that they won't expect, something that will allow you to get the drop on them, to surprise, maybe even to confuse them and leave them scratching their heads and asking "what the heck is going on here?"."

The reason I hold this belief is simple:

Anything that will startle/confuse the enemy will make it harder/slower for them to get the upper hand, and thus, EASIER FOR YOU to get the upper hand.

So, anyway, I have the sad, renamed remnant of Legendary Commander Steven Seagal in my Marblehead. One of Steven Seagal's two boosted skills is the rarely-used Expert Loader.(-75% instead of -50% to main battery loading time for when all guns are loaded for switching ammo types) I thought, "you know what, I've never used Steven Seagal's Expert Loader skill, as when he was my Farragut captain, I didn't need either, but I've experimented with his better Expert Marksman before. Why don't I try his Expert Loader on my Marblehead, given his weird combination of DD and Cruiser skills already that I've put on?"

So two hours ago, I took my Marblehead out looking for some pirates. And I was in a top-tier match. So mostly, for a while I only fired HE, but then this broadside enemy Kuma came around the side of this island. I had taken an HE pot-shot at it earlier, just to get some free damage before switching back to burning down BBs, so I think they thought I was going to fire HE at them again. I had just finished reloading HE, but then, a light bulb went off in my head. "Aha! An opportunity to showcase the ridiculous 2.7 second switch from ammo types with all guns reloaded! We will NOT fire this HE first. It's AP time!"

So I switched to AP, and in 2.7 seconds, AP was ready to fire, and fire I did. The first salvo was 4 citadels, and 6.7 seconds later, 2 more citadels and a couple of pens,(they were up against the side of another island to their left, and I was to their right) and the Kuma was well and truly vaporized. "sionara, sucker!"

shot-18_08.18_12_32.34-0510.thumb.jpg.6d2622f0a8dc406b68843d4ece99cde5.jpg

shot-18_08.18_12_32.47-0454.thumb.jpg.84f70ff212f8e3b2957c247b1e2a8c00.jpg

shot-18_08.18_12_31.48-0098.thumb.jpg.ee718d0e63d4f44ce0ae79d2e51a988a.jpg

It was pretty exciting, to say the least, if not OP. 

How about you guys? What is your take on this kind of strategy?  Have YOU ever switched up the loadout or tactics of one of your ships when it seems everyone knows how to deal with it?

Tell me in my poll, and I can't wait to hear your feedback!

- Regards, Legoboy0401

Edited by legoboy0401

[HINON]
Members
9,327 posts
6 minutes ago, legoboy0401 said:

I had just finished reloading HE, but then, a light bulb went off in my head. "Aha!

Sort of like this  . . .

57IsQVy.gif

Members
3,042 posts
1,915 battles
18 minutes ago, Submarine_Albacore said:

I usually do it in Cruisers, i can't resist the tasty broadside of enemy cruisers.

That's not what I'm talking about, just an example. I've never seen anyone use it on their Omaha/Murmansk/Marblehead before. I'm talking about using oddball tactics and strategies to catch the enemy off-guard.

[VVV]
Members
372 posts
2,351 battles

Spotter Plane Des Moines, when it was first popularized at least, was sorta this strat. Everybody said "you must be crazy to give up radar" but the strat actually sometimes worked. Also, putting DFAA on a ship that has really bad AA can sometimes be an oddball strat.

[S0L0]
Members
920 posts
5,130 battles

Doom Bubble Neptune with AA module, AFT and MFAA. A cruiser that cannot mount DFAA cannot be a threat to T10 CV's, right??? Right, until you have 24 MFAA guided guns reaching out up to 9km. I got lots of kills in that 6-9 km range, because the CV simply didn't realize I was killing them, or thought he was safely skirting my bubble on the way to/from striking another ship.

Secondary build Belfast. This started with just putting my high point Warspite captain in, and the realization that, with AFT already, the secondary module put range basically out to my radar range. Makes for an even better DD killer, and AFT helps make the AA not suck.

BFT/EM on a Kamikaze. It's already the best torpedo boat in it's range, and with BFT and EM, the guns suck much less. Enemies often seem baffled that I am even firing them,  then get downright concerned when I start blapping them with HE while maneuvering...

Matt

[NG-NL]
Members
5,103 posts
8,487 battles

Way of Knowing. Copied the principle from the final Eragon book. Basically I stare hard at the player in question. Somehow I'm able to read and interpret his body language to see who he's aiming at, if he'll dodge, his favorite strategy at present, if he fired torps, even if he's using AP or HE.

To some degree it's allowed me to predict which cruisers are likely to be running DF. Hydro-using CRs tend to be more aggressive about taking caps if BBs aren't looking at them, whereas the DF CRs usually stay near the team. Not a bad skill in Taiho and Essex, especially for baiting the DF!

Fun thing is this skill is in my head, so sometimes surprise another player. Earlier in GK, pushed a cap and the island-humping Moskva came out to duel. He got me, but using Way of Knowing, I noticed he paid more attention to punching me up w/ AP. He got me, but I had carefully angled my 4th turret so I fired into his citadel just as I died. Boom! Took him with me.

Another time, in my FDG, was rushing a cap and here comes an eager Kiev. Fires torps, but I already hit hard right rudder into both spreads, survived, and pulverized him. :Smile_teethhappy: It was a fun moment. Of course, if in the DD, I keep a torp spread in reserve in case the other player does the same.