Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
AdmiralThunder

Is Kagero a step backwards from Akatsuki?

14 comments in this topic

[PVE]
Members
6,446 posts
11,447 battles

Just got to Kagero and man I have to say it feels like a step back from the Akatsuki which I quite liked.  Other than concealment being better thanks to CSM1, a little more HP, and harder hitting torps it is less than the T7 in all other areas it feels like. Slower by a lot and feels sluggish in comparison, much longer torp reload for 1 less torp (yes more damage I know), and an entire km less gun range while only gaining 0.5 sec reload? I would much rather play the previous DD than this one. Does anyone else feel you take a step back at T8 here?

Just curious?

Members
36 posts
3,917 battles

My biggest issue with Kagero was the removak of the third torp launcher which makes it harder to stagger torp walls for floodings. TRB consumable is the way this can be offset but IJN DDs are just not good in this meta with torps spotted from the moon and marginal conceal advantages which don't make much of a difference. The main line IJN DDs are a lost cause for me until they get some love. I will be grinding the Akizuki line soon :p

[-BMV-]
Members
346 posts
6,865 battles

If you want to do significant damage with high tier Japanese DDs you typically need to mount TRB and try to stagger to get floodings.  The concealment buff is also a huge advantage maybe less so when the bots "know" where you are.  For PvP the concealment alone is a massive buff, but I would agree Akatsuki is easier to play (at an easier tier as well where the enemy will likely have 1-3 radars instead of 3-6).  It just lacks the insane concealment and massive upside in damage a TRB Kagero brings to the table.

Edited by mrh308

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
1,249 posts
4,942 battles

Akatsuki is fine for me I have Kagero researched but no interest in her at present.

Beta Testers
1,862 posts
10,762 battles

Kagero works better for me than Akatsuki. Concealment being the number one issue with Akatsuki for me. 6.4km with a good chance facing T9 DDs just isn't cutting it.

Edited by chewonit

[-I-]
Members
721 posts
8,793 battles

It may be more of a tier 8 syndrome.  It faces tier 10's often.  There's an over population of radar cruisers in most battles.  It can't gun fight to save its life and while it is very stealthy it isn't worth slotting the reload consumable unlike the Shira.  Overall, it's been a disappointing ship.  

Beta Testers
1,219 posts
6,525 battles

As previously stated, competition is extremely heavy in the t8-10 range. Your natural counters are considerably more frequently and considerably more deadly. The ship is a lot better on paper than Akatsuki but matchmaking is not kind to you.

• Cool 1

[NFE]
Members
68 posts
2,839 battles
On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 5:12 PM, Jim_Byrnes said:

Akatsuki is fine for me I have Kagero researched but no interest in her at present.

This sums it up for me exactly. The only time I play Kagero is when I die quick in my Akatsuki and don't want to stick around and watch the battle. Then I play one in my Kagero, and get frustrated at the lack of torps and slow reload time, and gun range and lack of speed...Concealment is nice, but doesn't matter when the other side has lots of radar. Kagero vs tiers 6-7 is fine. Vs. tiers 9-10, not so much.

[2CUTE]
Beta Testers
1 post
1,997 battles

It will feel like it for sure, its saving grace is the Torpedo Reload Booster. That will make your time a thousand times more fun :)

[-WTP-]
[-WTP-]
Members
592 posts
5,962 battles

Kagero is forgettable. Sold it immediately. TRB is it's only saving grace (kinda) other than it's concealment. Kept Akatsuki AND bought it the perma-camo. Yeah the detection isn't the greatest, but it has decent guns/speed/maneuverability so you should be doing more gun-boating with it. Can't get away with that too often in the Kagero. There's also no reason to keep Kagero if you have Harekaze. Yugumo is also a keeper. Kagero, is just a place holder.

[NASTY]
[NASTY]
Members
111 posts
5,743 battles

Kagero works for me.  Yes, initially after leaving Akatsuki I struggled but now I have very good games in her.  My winrate is great.  I can influence games a lot.  Talking use of her concealment is the most important thing.  Spot spot and spot for you team and contest caps but stay silent.  When you help out your BBs and cruisers to shoot on target they will in return help you when enemy gun boat rushes you

[NFE]
Members
68 posts
2,839 battles
On ‎10‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 8:13 AM, icehaddock said:

When you help out your BBs and cruisers to shoot on target they will in return help you when enemy gun boat rushes you

Yes, it can work that way, and it's great when it does. But don't forget, the enemy has BBs and cruisers, also, and they will open up on you when the enemy gun boat rushes and spots you, and the Kagero is worse at getting away than the Akatsuki. I suppose it depends on your play style (as well as your teammates). My play style works better in Akatsuki and no tier 10+ enemies.

Sign in to follow this