You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
_Marines

Poll: Which Tier 9 battleship is the strongest for a secondary build?

Which T9 BB is the strongest for a secondary build?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Which Tier 9 battleship(s) is the strongest for a secondary build?

• MNF - Alsace
    • MNF - Jean Bart
    • KM - Friedrich der Große (H-39)
    • IJN - Musashi
    • IJN - Izumo (A-140-J2)
    • USN - Missouri
    • USN - Iowa
    • RN - Lion
    • I haven't played battleships with a secondary build

19 comments in this topic

[DOW]
Members
672 posts
3,932 battles

In Tier 9 it's usually camping and long range sniping, but I do find pushing with teammates is the best bet to win. While ships like Musashi could be more competitive with a survival build individually, a less competitive secondary build can be more competitive in the right hands with your team.

my musashi.jpg

• Boring 1

[NG-NL]
Members
5,823 posts
9,443 battles

Alsace, FDG, and Izumo have nasty secondaries when specced for it. Rest are meh in my exp. Haven't seen Jean Bart.

[WOLF9]
Members
9,407 posts
4,243 battles

IRL the USN BBs had an Atlanta strapped to either side.  In WoWS they aren't given full range and DPM.  Massachusetts is closer.

[DOW]
Members
672 posts
3,932 battles

Has anyone tried Musashi with a dedicated secondary build? How is it? I could only find secondary-build Yamato videos online:

[WOLF2]
Members
249 posts
5,292 battles
40 minutes ago, Reymu said:

Alsace, FDG, and Izumo have nasty secondaries when specced for it. Rest are meh in my exp. Haven't seen Jean Bart.

Jean Bart had her secondary range buffed to bring her in line with other French BBs.  Unfortunately, while she has a strong secondary battery, it is all located aft like Richelieu and Dunkerque, making using it awkward and difficult (at least from my experience in Richelieu)

[P2W]
Beta Testers
44 posts
9,552 battles

I have been unimpressed with the secondaries on my Musashi so far, but I do not have the manual firing secondary captain on it yet.

[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,397 posts
14,916 battles

Compared to the Alcase, the rest are a joke.

Without man secondary, 300 hits is common and her armour holds up.

With manual secondaries you can push it to 500 hits.

And all that HE spamming secondaries...burn baby burn.

• Cool 1

[DOW]
Members
672 posts
3,932 battles
21 hours ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

Compared to the Alcase, the rest are a joke.

Without man secondary, 300 hits is common and her armour holds up.

With manual secondaries you can push it to 500 hits.

And all that HE spamming secondaries...burn baby burn.

Now I seriously regret spending the Free XP on a Musashi. I should have just Free XP'ed an Alsace.:Smile_sad:

Edit: Meh, it doesn't really matter as I rethink it. Tier 9 and 10 matches are tedious. So many premades in these two tiers that if I were to be competitive, I have to grab friends and premake as well. I should rather play more midtier games. It's casual and more relaxing.

Edited by _Marines
  • Cool 1

[DOW]
Members
672 posts
3,932 battles

Found some new info. At least on paper, the secondary DPM of Alsace appears to be significantly higher than Friedrich (H-39). Interesting.

FXzIKbg.png

Also, the secondary build for Normandie and Lyon looks totally viable too (even though range may be too short to deter DDs).

[HINON]
Members
10,954 posts
7 minutes ago, _Marines said:

Found some new info. At least on paper, the secondary DPM of Alsace appears to be significantly higher than Friedrich (H-39). Interesting.

FXzIKbg.png

Also, the secondary build for Normandie and Lyon looks totally viable too (even though range may be too short to deter DDs).

For alsace though you really need ifhe to take full advantage of it while fdg has built in better penetration on her secondaries.

[DOW]
Members
672 posts
3,932 battles
2 hours ago, RipNuN2 said:

For alsace though you really need ifhe to take full advantage of it while fdg has built in better penetration on her secondaries.

Definitely. I still feel like taking IFHE as the 3rd 4-point captain skill (first two being MFCSA and AFT), just like for the French, for all German BBs except Scharnhorst where I don't have data on how much the IFHE really increases secondary damage. It's hard to decide.:Smile_hiding:

Edit: Going MFCSA, AFT, and FP for Scharn.

Edited by _Marines

[AHOY_]
Beta Testers
6,793 posts
3,975 battles

For all intents and purposes, FdG, like every other KM BB from T7 onwards, is the most ideal for a secondary build, thanks to having the 1/4 HE Pen built into her large caliber secondaries. Pair that with the 16" guns for faster reload speed, and you pretty much have an expected secondary range brawler. She's pretty much a straight upgrade from Bismarck. Her only weakness is the anemic gun count, which practically mandate she dive in and add her secondaries to help prop up damage.

That being said, the two French BBs; Richelieu and the upcoming Jean Bart, are looking to be pretty strong rivals, given their ability to quickly close range with Engine Boost and the firing angles of their secondaries.

• In Alsace's case, 12x 15" guns (even after being nerfed) can still hurt, and uniquely, some of her secondaries can point and fire forwards at their outer range, allowing her to bow tank and apply some secondary pressure.
  • In Jean Bart's case, her massive secondary armament allows her to protect her sides when necessary, and offer good firing angles both towards the bow and to the sides.

Izumo can still manage a secondary build just fine, but her flawed model design and setup make it extremely suboptimal. Fortunately, WG admitted that Izumo was one of their worst modeling attempts, and does have plans to eventually do something with her, but just not for the rest of the year. The main advantages that let her still be somewhat capable of using a secondary build even in the current meta are the fact that her main guns traverse faster than other IJN BBs, and actually have higher pen than USN BBs at closer ranges. With the recent buff to her armor, she's more resilient to attacks while on approach, but baring her broadside enough to bring all secondaries to bear is still a risky bet.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
5,947 posts
9,120 battles

from what i know at T9, FDG and Alsace are the strong secondary ships

[WOLF3]
Members
20,442 posts
18,784 battles

Alsace is ridiculous, especially if you're a nutjob that gives her IFHE Secondaries.  The rate and mass of fire is insane.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,189 posts
4,996 battles
On 8/18/2018 at 6:11 PM, _Marines said:

Has anyone tried Musashi with a dedicated secondary build? How is it? I could only find secondary-build Yamato videos online:

Not worth it at all. You've got double the 6" guns, but half the 5" DP guns and they all load more slowly than Yamato's. She has decent secondary range, but that's where her secondary pluses end. Musashi is best played long to mid range, slam-dunking enemy cruisers and battleships with citadels. She's not nimble enough for a brawl at tier 9 and her secondaries don't have the teeth for it.

• Cool 1

[FAE]
Members
2,350 posts
2,886 battles
21 hours ago, YamatoA150 said:

For all intents and purposes, FdG, like every other KM BB from T7 onwards, is the most ideal for a secondary build, thanks to having the 1/4 HE Pen built into her large caliber secondaries. Pair that with the 16" guns for faster reload speed, and you pretty much have an expected secondary range brawler. She's pretty much a straight upgrade from Bismarck. Her only weakness is the anemic gun count, which practically mandate she dive in and add her secondaries to help prop up damage.

That being said, the two French BBs; Richelieu and the upcoming Jean Bart, are looking to be pretty strong rivals, given their ability to quickly close range with Engine Boost and the firing angles of their secondaries.

• In Alsace's case, 12x 15" guns (even after being nerfed) can still hurt, and uniquely, some of her secondaries can point and fire forwards at their outer range, allowing her to bow tank and apply some secondary pressure.
  • In Jean Bart's case, her massive secondary armament allows her to protect her sides when necessary, and offer good firing angles both towards the bow and to the sides.

Izumo can still manage a secondary build just fine, but her flawed model design and setup make it extremely suboptimal. Fortunately, WG admitted that Izumo was one of their worst modeling attempts, and does have plans to eventually do something with her, but just not for the rest of the year. The main advantages that let her still be somewhat capable of using a secondary build even in the current meta are the fact that her main guns traverse faster than other IJN BBs, and actually have higher pen than USN BBs at closer ranges. With the recent buff to her armor, she's more resilient to attacks while on approach, but baring her broadside enough to bring all secondaries to bear is still a risky bet.

FDG doesn't turn nearly as well as Bismarck, and is larger, and hence on fire much more often. Therefore, she almost requires a zombie build. 

Also, kind of irritated that the French have better secondaries it seems. 

[PVE]
Members
8,807 posts
15,622 battles

Alsace no question. The thing is a beast re: secondary guns. FDG would be 2nd then Izumo. The rest are all meh. (no experience with Jean Bart so that is excluded from my comments)

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Beta Testers
5,071 posts
1,501 battles
On 8/27/2018 at 12:17 AM, RipNuN2 said:

You only get that on the 6" guns, the 105's are 1/6 pen. 18mm of the top of my head.

[WOLF9]
Members
9,407 posts
4,243 battles

I don't have a Tier 9 battleship.  Therefore, this post (like my BACON vote) is pointless.

BTW, AFAIK, no one has played Jean Bart, so why ask about him?