Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
_Marines

Poll: Which Tier 7 battleship is the strongest for a secondary build?

Which T7 BB is the strongest for a secondary build?  

118 members have voted

1. 1. Which Tier 7 battleship(s) is the strongest for a secondary build?

• KM - Gneisenau
    • KM - Scharnhorst
    • MNF - Lyon
    • IJN - Ashitaka (愛鷹)
    • IJN - Nagato (長門)
    • RN - Nelson
    • RN - King George V
    • RN - Duke of York
    • RN - Hood
    • USN - Colorado
    • I haven't played battleships with a secondary build

34 comments in this topic

[ICBM]
Members
598 posts
12,661 battles
7 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Secondaries BB at Tier VII?  Gneisenau, hands down.  The 128mm 11x2 guns she has are far better than the piddly 105mm 7x2 and 150mm 4x2 setup Scharnhorst has.  Everybody else is a poor Secondaries / Brawling Battleship platform this tier if they are not named Gneisenau or Scharnhorst.

Agreed.

Beta Testers
1,100 posts
9,864 battles
10 hours ago, Landsraad said:

It's a VERY close top three between Scharnhorst, Gneisenau, and Lyon. Gneisenau is the winner for her hull upgrade, and for being more close-range focused to begin with due to her 6 15" rifles, while Sharnhorst can be a more all-range boat with her 9 11" guns. 

I am of the opposite opinion as to whether the 15” or 11” guns are better up close. I prefer the extra 3 barrels, faster turret traverse, and quicker fire rate of the Scharn’s 11” guns for close encounters.

[AXANR]
Members
3,420 posts
18,588 battles
4 hours ago, 457th_FighterGroup said:

I just finished grinding Gneis. From my experience, she's a good brawler, but honestly I prefer the Scharn. The 128s on the Gneis don't do as much to BBs as you'd think. They're wonderful against cruisers and DDs but it's nothing the Scharns 150s and 105s can't do. Furthermore the Scharn has faster firing guns and hydro(?).

Scharn doesn't have hydro. The only difference between Scharn and Gneis is gunarmament and a small difference in HP. Scharn has 9x283mm main guns and a 105/150mm secondary armament. Her secondary dpm is theoretically a bit higher (in practice results may vary) and her main battery is a bit higher dpm and more versatile. Gneis has 6x380mm guns... Higher alpha and pen but they suck at long range. Her secondary battery is purely 128mm DP, so she's a bit stronger in AA than Scharn but in some scenarios slightly weaker in overall secondary performance. Honestly their secondaries will mostly be in same ballpark.

I prefer Gneis in a brawl because the high alpha and pen ends fights quickly, but it's more a question of individual preference than anything else, they're both strong brawlers. Scharn is a bit stronger at mid range because more versatile 9x283mm main battery. The extra 3 tubes and faster reload help overcome the terrible German dispersion they both suffer from. Neither is a good long range boat but Scharn is less terrible there too for same reason.

Edited by poeticmotion

[DOW]
Members
672 posts
3,943 battles

I am respec'ing my Scharnhorst for a dedicated secondary build. One thing I realize is that the range of secondaries is only 7~8 km, which is quite shy from Massachusetts' 11 km. There really isn't that many opportunities to see a target in such a close range (other than endgame battleship ramming brawls).

How do you guys manage it? Strategic pushing with the team?

[WOLF8]
Members
5,137 posts
4,928 battles
12 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Secondaries BB at Tier VII?  Gneisenau, hands down.  The 128mm 11x2 guns she has are far better than the piddly 105mm 7x2 and 150mm 4x2 setup Scharnhorst has.  Everybody else is a poor Secondaries / Brawling Battleship platform this tier if they are not named Gneisenau or Scharnhorst.

I agree with this.

I was going to vote for Scharnhorst, but OP's question seems to focus on the Secondaries, and from that perspective I say Gneissnau is the best.

I heard that the German 105mm (and anything smaller in caliber) does NOT enjoy the special German 1/4 HE penetration bonus. If true, then that means that half of Scharnhorst's secondaries are pretty much doing nothing to anything with even a modicum of armor. On the other hand, Gnei's all 127 mm secondaries enjoy the said bonus, hence no problem. As for Lyon, well she's a French ship, thus no such bonus on her secondaries-- it's pretty obvious she falls behind.

[DOW]
Members
672 posts
3,943 battles
20 minutes ago, Blorgh2017 said:

I agree with this.

I was going to vote for Scharnhorst, but OP's question seems to focus on the Secondaries, and from that perspective I say Gneissnau is the best.

I heard that the German 105mm (and anything smaller in caliber) does NOT enjoy the special German 1/4 HE penetration bonus. If true, then that means that half of Scharnhorst's secondaries are pretty much doing nothing to anything with even a modicum of armor. On the other hand, Gnei's all 127 mm secondaries enjoy the said bonus, hence no problem. As for Lyon, well she's a French ship, thus no such bonus on her secondaries-- it's pretty obvious she falls behind.

I don't actually care as I try to make use of everything. The accurate main guns, torps, secondaries, turtleback, etc, and most importantly pushing with teammates. I just find the secondaries of Scharnhorst, like the torpedoes, don't really get a fair opportunity to show their potency in random matches. Enemy ships become scared too easily and run away.

Members
1,752 posts
14,992 battles

Like the Scharnhorst because I can use my Bismarck captain, don’t have to have a dedicated captain like the Gneis, Lyon or Nagato. Works great in operations, ranked when we have tier 7, plus the torps (as long as they don’t get knocked out) are made for getting close and personal 

Sign in to follow this