Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
JediMasterDraco

Top Ten

20 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

575
[NGA]
Members
1,836 posts
9,664 battles

You know, battleships occupy six of the top ten spots and only a single destroyer is on this list. I wonder if this is indicative of flaws in the game's balancing system. Nah.

Edited by JediMasterDraco
  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
253
[-VT-]
[-VT-]
Members
586 posts
27,197 battles

It's just a popularity contest, Draco.

BBs are the most popular class, from all appearances.

CVs are the hardest to play well so no surprise they are not represented.

DDs are the second hardest to play well and are also handicapped by little reward for good play (so much of the DD game does not entail doing damage or sinking ships).  Little surprise only one DD represented here.

Sab

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,034
Members
4,729 posts
8,233 battles
41 minutes ago, Sabene said:

It's just a popularity contest, Draco.

BBs are the most popular class, from all appearances.

CVs are the hardest to play well so no surprise they are not represented.

DDs are the second hardest to play well and are also handicapped by little reward for good play (so much of the DD game does not entail doing damage or sinking ships).  Little surprise only one DD represented here.

Sab

 

Good observation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,095
[ARS]
Beta Testers
3,022 posts
2,842 battles
1 hour ago, JediMasterDraco said:

You know, battleships occupy six of the top ten spots and only a single destroyer is on this list. I wonder if this is indicative of flaws in the game's balancing system. Nah.

What is the total number of all BB games and the total number of all DD games?  If DDs are better balanced the total DD games could be close, but just spread over a greater number of ships whereas the popular BBs take a larger share of BB games.

I don't have the numbers, so I can't answer that, but it is a way to get those results without DDs being shafted as you claim the numbers show.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,161
[SUGAR]
[SUGAR]
Members
4,537 posts
15,711 battles

Please take into consideration the players in this game, many are older/retired....they enjoy playing historical ships that actually existed. they also may not have the gaming expertise to play dds which does take more daka daka skills than bbs do concerning hand eye coordination.

And lets be honest, it is fun as heyl to blap a ship off the map

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,143
[SBS]
Members
4,448 posts
2,408 battles
Just now, Helstrem said:

What is the total number of all BB games and the total number of all DD games?

BBs are the most played, then cruisers, and DDs bringing up the rear of the main ship types.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,034
Members
4,729 posts
8,233 battles
18 minutes ago, APA_204 said:

Please take into consideration the players in this game, many are older/retired....they enjoy playing historical ships that actually existed. they also may not have the gaming expertise to play dds which does take more daka daka skills than bbs do concerning hand eye coordination.

And lets be honest, it is fun as heyl to blap a ship off the map

Yes I am older and retired.  I would like to play ships that existed back in my youth....The Civil War Era. :Smile_izmena:

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,161
[SUGAR]
[SUGAR]
Members
4,537 posts
15,711 battles
3 minutes ago, dmckay said:

Yes I am older and retired.  I would like to play ships that existed back in my youth....The Civil War Era. :Smile_izmena:

I was there, on the Monitor

Image result for monitor and the merrimac
 

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,034
Members
4,729 posts
8,233 battles
8 minutes ago, APA_204 said:

I was there, on the Monitor

Image result for monitor and the merrimac
 

Me to!  Hell of a fight.  I was in the turret and to this day I am hearing impaired.

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,161
[SUGAR]
[SUGAR]
Members
4,537 posts
15,711 battles
Just now, dmckay said:

Me to!  Hell of a fight.  I was in the turret and to this day I am hearing impaired.

my sense of smell is off as well.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,095
[ARS]
Beta Testers
3,022 posts
2,842 battles
13 minutes ago, Slimeball91 said:

BBs are the most played, then cruisers, and DDs bringing up the rear of the main ship types.

Yes, but what are the numbers?  100, 98 and 97 follow that pattern, but so do 100, 50 and 10.  Just putting them in order of most played to least played tells us absolutely nothing beyond that and to look at the claim posted by the OP we need more information. We would need the total number of games in each ship type and then look at the percentages each ship in the top ten took of the total.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,152
[H_]
Members
2,291 posts

I'd like to see a statistic chart of ships played by popularity across the entire game to include all modes....  A list named from 1 to x by popularity.

What would that most played ship be?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
737
[WDS]
Members
1,757 posts
8,838 battles

This was my ship leaving port on my first tour . I took a spear to the thigh to this day I still walk with a limp. 

 

 

Image result for roman sea vessels pictures

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
207
[FOG]
Members
588 posts
6,254 battles
33 minutes ago, clammboy said:

This was my ship leaving port on my first tour . I took a spear to the thigh to this day I still walk with a limp. 

 

 

Image result for roman sea vessels pictures

I too used to be a great adventurer but then I took an arrow to the knee....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,914
[SALVO]
Members
21,353 posts
21,595 battles
1 hour ago, dmckay said:

Me to!  Hell of a fight.  I was in the turret and to this day I am hearing impaired.

EH?  WHAT DID YOU SAY?  :cap_horn:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,143
[SBS]
Members
4,448 posts
2,408 battles
1 hour ago, Helstrem said:

Yes, but what are the numbers?  100, 98 and 97 follow that pattern, but so do 100, 50 and 10.  Just putting them in order of most played to least played tells us absolutely nothing beyond that and to look at the claim posted by the OP we need more information. We would need the total number of games in each ship type and then look at the percentages each ship in the top ten took of the total.

@Canadatron tends to keep track of games played by ship type.  The last he mentioned the numbers he said DDs are played at about 60% that of BBs.  That is from the 2nd week of Aug. I believe. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,095
[ARS]
Beta Testers
3,022 posts
2,842 battles
1 hour ago, Slimeball91 said:

@Canadatron tends to keep track of games played by ship type.  The last he mentioned the numbers he said DDs are played at about 60% that of BBs.  That is from the 2nd week of Aug. I believe. 

OK, at 60% you'd still expect to see a DD before spot #6 if distribution of games was equal between BBs and DDs.  I suspect that BB usage is more concentrated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,034
Members
4,729 posts
8,233 battles
6 hours ago, clammboy said:

This was my ship leaving port on my first tour . I took a spear to the thigh to this day I still walk with a limp. 

 

 

Image result for roman sea vessels pictures

Cool.  That thing with the big spike, as you may know, was a Roman innovation. Get close to a Carthaginian ship and drop the damn thing on their deck (pin them) and then your bad azz Romans could use the ramp to board their ship and kill em all. Romans tended to not take prisoners in the heat of battle.  Nice pic!  Carry on. Take care of that leg mate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
575
[NGA]
Members
1,836 posts
9,664 battles
4 hours ago, dmckay said:

Cool.  That thing with the big spike, as you may know, was a Roman innovation. Get close to a Carthaginian ship and drop the damn thing on their deck (pin them) and then your bad azz Romans could use the ramp to board their ship and kill em all. Romans tended to not take prisoners in the heat of battle.  Nice pic!  Carry on. Take care of that leg mate.

Actually that was true for naval battles in general. Wasn't enough room on a ship for prisoners, guards, a crew, and an anti-boarding force to prevent recapture. It's rather easy to compare a naval battles to a series of small-scale fortress assaults, another type of battle where taking prisoners was uncommon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×