You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
jags_domain

Smoke to powerful or flat our broken????

126 comments in this topic

[SOV]
Members
660 posts
11,565 battles

All the complaining abour radar it tine to talk about smoke being broken! You want to talk about the reality of radar lets talk the realailty of smoke.

How is it that a dd sitting in smoke and can majiclty see perfectly out of it when another is spotting? How come dd can shoot planes down in smoke and the plane cant see them? Why does smoke last for 2 min and covers for the entire map and you cant see them untill your 3 km or so away.

Smoke is Increably broken. It hides you from the entire map but magical you can see perfictly out of it when somthing is spotted.

A DD should not be able to shoot planes down without being seen. DD should not be able to see ships out of the smoke even if there spoted without being seen them selves.

DD players you have complaned to much and for to long. You want "real radar" then we need real smoke. You cant shoot at anything without revealing your self. You cant shoot at planes without being spotted.

Eather stop complaing or we fix the broken smoke meta.

• Cool 4
  • Funny 4
  • Boring 4
  • Bad 20

[MKF]
Members
430 posts
15,506 battles
5 minutes ago, jags_domain said:

All the complaining abour radar it tine to talk about smoke being broken! You want to talk about the reality of radar lets talk the realailty of smoke.

How is it that a dd sitting in smoke and can majiclty see perfectly out of it when another is spotting? How come dd can shoot planes down in smoke and the plane cant see them? Why does smoke last for 2 min and covers for the entire map and you cant see them untill your 3 km or so away.

Smoke is Increably broken. It hides you from the entire map but magical you can see perfictly out of it when somthing is spotted.

A DD should not be able to shoot planes down without being seen. DD should not be able to see ships out of the smoke even if there spoted without being seen them selves.

DD players you have complaned to much and for to long. You want "real radar" then we need real smoke. You cant shoot at anything without revealing your self. You cant shoot at planes without being spotted.

I feel like you were recently killed by someone in smoke...

• Cool 3
  • Funny 9

[H_]
Members
937 posts

Again, it's a game and all reality and physics are suspended for fun!  (and profit of WG...)

Airplanes can't see bullets.....  They might see gun flashes...might see.....

Real physics are suspended indefinitely because this isn't a sim....  It's a game play mechanic that "kind of" works and in the case of Radar, is so far out of control that it's caused retention issues....

Suggesting reality is counter-intuitive even though, you are in some aspects right !!!

I hate radar and I am vocal against the meta aspects of it but, I've tried to adapt to a new reality: either you like the game or you don't.  A dangerous thing for WG: creating a situation where customers have to make binary decisions to stay or leave.

Take heart.........games change.

• Cool 1

[WOLF5]
Members
1,330 posts
7,332 battles
6 minutes ago, jags_domain said:

You mean this REAL SMOKE   ??

or this?

The systems and tactics were tested under a variety of at-sea conditions using assets from the U.S. Army, Navy, and Air Force to evaluate how the radar-absorbing, carbon-fiber clouds can protect naval assets as part of a layered defense.

Adm. Robert L. Thomas Jr., commander U.S. 7th Fleet, kicked off the multi-ship experiment in Guam.

“Pandarra Fog is example of the quick-turn integrated technical and tactical development the Fleet is doing to master electromagnetic maneuver warfare and assure access of joint forces,” said Thomas.

“Pandarra Fog showed the value of quickly bringing together scientific and joint forces to tackle our hardest warfighting problems,” said Antonio Siordia, U.S. 7th Fleet’s science advisor. “This isn’t just smoke or chaff, this is high tech obscurant which can be effective against an array of missile homing systems.”

A shipboard device generated the carbon-fiber particles which were suspended in a cloud of smoke. These clouds can absorb or diffuse radar waves..

Beta Testers
1,862 posts
10,762 battles
15 minutes ago, jags_domain said:

You can perfectly target a ship blocked by an island in the line of sight if it's spotted by other. That happens a lot more than smoke. So deal with it.

Adapt and overcome. It's not a DD only thing.

• Cool 1

[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
4,143 posts
13,510 battles

If you see smoke either avoid it or shoot into it. It does not cover the whole map and your team mates radar should detect the DD.

Oh yea this is a game not a simulator. Also it appears that there are many more who stay than leave and those that do leave appear to be those who insist on Make This Do This This Way Just For Me folks!

[PVE]
Members
10,841 posts
7,979 battles

Smoke used to be a LOT worse. BBs being completely hidden in smoke while firing. The firing in smoke being shorter than the regular firing bloom is a fine balance. Smoke is ok now.

[SALVO]
Members
17,707 posts
18,486 battles
23 minutes ago, jags_domain said:

Instead of complaining about smoke, how about you focus your efforts on fixing your spelling!  Jeeez!!!

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1
  • Bad 1

Members
240 posts
12,838 battles
11 minutes ago, jags_domain said:

Smoke and radar are both broken.  Ships seeing out of smoke is broken, radar going through islands is broken.

The Developers claim it's a "game engine limitation, I believe it's a "game developer" limitation.

4 minutes ago, Asym_KS said:

Again, it's a game and all reality and physics are suspended for fun!  (and profit of WG...)

Real physics are suspended indefinitely because this isn't a sim....

Suggesting reality is counter-intuitive even though, you are in some aspects right !!!

Take heart.........games change.

This is true, early videos from the "game developers" clearly stated when they first considered making this game, they had to choose "play ability" over "reality" and they have consistently chosen to continue with "arcade game" physics in all Wargaming games. World Of Tanks is also an "arcade game with broken physics" cause that is more "fun" and "profitable" for Wargaming.

This game has had changes over the years, but it will always be an "arcade game" based "vaguely" on  "reality".

Why on this Playlist is there no video for How Smoke Works or How Radar Works.. because they would need to explain how broken the game mechanics really are .. 

• Bad 1

[PVE]
Members
10,841 posts
7,979 battles
3 minutes ago, BigJohnsonLogan said:

Smoke and radar are both broken.  Ships seeing out of smoke is broken, radar going through islands is broken.

The Developers claim it's a "game engine limitation, I believe it's a "game developer" limitation.

This is true, early videos from the "game developers" clearly stated when they first considered making this game, they had to choose "play ability" over "reality" and they have consistently chosen to continue with "arcade game" physics in all Wargaming games. World Of Tanks is also an "arcade game with broken physics" cause that is more "fun" and "profitable" for Wargaming.

This game has had changes over the years, but it will always be an "arcade game" based "vaguely" on  "reality".

Why on this Playlist is there no video for How Smoke Works or How Radar Works.. because they would need to explain how broken the game mechanics really are .. 

The vast majority of games choose playability over realism. Sure, be realistic when it fits in the game, but the game has to be more balanced to playability than to realism. It is a game after all.

[WOLF6]
Members
1,985 posts
5,007 battles

Gonna go out on a limb and say the OP isn't a DD main...can't tell though...

Would also point out that smoke used to be usable by anyone on the team. Now it doesn't work for anyone but DDs. You think that was a DD idea?

Doesn't cover the entire map, either, though USN DDs can put out quite a large, lingering cloud. I'd agree that being able to see targets spotted by others while in smoke is not real. But, it's one of the few "advantages" DDs have left. I tell you what though, I'd trade the ability to use smoke offensively if they made radar LoS only, and only for the use of the ship that used it.

Of course, no one would go for that idea. Can't have DDs having an advantage. They might do damage or earn XP, or something.

• Cool 2

[SOV]
Members
660 posts
11,565 battles
31 minutes ago, chewonit said:

You can perfectly target a ship blocked by an island in the line of sight if it's spotted by other. That happens a lot more than smoke. So deal with it.

Adapt and overcome. It's not a DD only thing.

That makes no scents. You cant target a dd in smoke but you can target a ship behind an island. 

So deal with smoke being broken.

• Bad 1

[SOV]
Members
660 posts
11,565 battles
8 minutes ago, Thornir said:

Would also point out that smoke used to be usable by anyone on the team. Now it doesn't work for anyone but DDs. You think that was a DD idea?

Doesn't cover the entire map, either, though USN DDs can put out quite a large, lingering cloud. I'd agree that being able to see targets spotted by others while in smoke is not real. But, it's one of the few "advantages" DDs have left. I tell you what though, I'd trade the ability to use smoke offensively if they made radar LoS only, and only for the use of the ship that used it.

Of course, no one would go for that idea. Can't have DDs having an advantage. They might do damage or earn XP, or something.

Again you want radar linenof sight but think its ok to beable to shot from smoke and not be seen. That does not make scents? I can be 7km away from a dd in smoke and not see it but it can see me perfectly with no down side. That is broken.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 2

[D-H-O]
Alpha Tester
1,600 posts
9,365 battles

Smoke now is way more useless than it has ever been. Smoke used to be a complete stop of LOS. Now most ships shooting from smoke can be seen at something like 50-85% of their max gun range. Smoke was way too strong back then, now with the amount of radar and the new (about 8 months or a year?) changes to smoke, smoke is almost completely useless at high tiers.

Yes it is an arcade game so unrealistic things will happen, believe it or not smoke would hang around for longer than you might think. But WG LOS logic never made sense, so it is only understandable that it would be the same logic in WOWS.

[SOV]
Members
660 posts
11,565 battles
20 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

Smoke was already fixed, you are a year late. 

No it has not gone far enough. If a dd is firing at a plane then that dd should be spores and fully seen by the whole map.

If a dd is shooting from smoke it should be seen by everyone else.

[WOLF6]
Members
1,985 posts
5,007 battles
6 minutes ago, jags_domain said:

Again you want radar linenof sight but think its ok to beable to shot from smoke and not be seen. That does not make scents? I can be 7km away from a dd in smoke and not see it but it can see me perfectly with no down side. That is broken.

You are misunderstanding, and the word is "sense".

I am saying, fix radar, or leave DDs their stealth mechanics. And making the DD visible defeats its purpose. Make it hard for the DD to see, not visible, and I am ok with that, so long as radar becomes LoS and only for the ship using it. 

How many games do you have in upper tier DDs? I can't tell.

Edited by Thornir

[D-H-O]
Alpha Tester
1,600 posts
9,365 battles

Sounds like you need to better understand the game mechanics... Your stats appear to be hidden, so I can't begin to understand you experience with the game (I am not a stat shamer, just use them to understand where a player comes from)

To an extent, I agree you should be able to see where the AA shots come from, but saying the whole ships should be seen is not acceptable for the class. LOS  (Line of sight) is one of those things that makes the game what it is. As a BB, you will wreck a DD with your rounds. The DD, who's torps reload slower than your guns, needs some kind of protection, that can be counter by tons of things in the game now, to try and hopefully get one or two torps on you. The hammer will crush all if played right, the dagger takes more fines.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
10,841 posts
7,979 battles
6 minutes ago, Thornir said:

Well, if every other spotting method is perfectly conveyed to the rest of the team, RADAR should be as well. I would not have a problem with RADAR being blocked by land, but WG evidently doesn't think it is unbalanced to have it go through land.

1 minute ago, jags_domain said:

That makes no scents. You cant target a dd in smoke but you can target a ship behind an island. 

So deal with smoke being broken.

Last patch a circle was added to the minimap to show the approximate location your shells land. If you go into the minimap settings in game, you can also turn on last spotted location. Use both of those to target ships in smoke.

[WOLF6]
Members
1,985 posts
5,007 battles
6 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

Last patch a circle was added to the minimap to show the approximate location your shells land. If you go into the minimap settings in game, you can also turn on last spotted location. Use both of those to target ships in smoke.

Hate that. It's no big for USN or PA DDs, but in a German DD, you can forget staying in your smoke. There's no room to shift back and forth. 

[WOLF6]
Members
1,985 posts
5,007 battles
24 minutes ago, _Lord_Scott_ said:

YAK4gQu.gif

going to watch this on

Glad you're entertained. :Smile_bajan2: