Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
AMajor

Have I fallen into a Defensive mindset?

8 comments in this topic

[DBM]
Members
436 posts
5,849 battles

Have the Benson, Fletcher, and (just two days ago) the Gearing.  I have the Sims Premium USN dd to help with training up my captains.  The Fletcher has my only 19 pt captain, the Benson has a 15, and the Gearing has an 11.  Before you ask, no I am not going to move my 19 pt Gearing captain or my 15 pt Benson captain to the Gearing.  I enjoy playing both ships and I need them where they are.  The Gearing captain will just have to make due and allow the other dds to accumulate enough free XP to give to him. 

I think that I've fallen into a defensive mindset due to all of the radar out there.  My captain's builds are more about surviving damage than causing it.  Here is my default:

First 10 points: Preventive Maintenance (1), Last Stand (2), Survivability Expert (3), Concealment Expert (4)

Next two points goes to Adrenaline Rush

Next three points I always struggle between Superintendent and Basic Fire Training.  Right now, I lean towards SI

That brings us to 15 pts.  Right now, my Fletcher captain has Radio Location as his final four points.

All of those skills are more defensive rather than offensive in nature.  It allows me to survive longer in the game when those pesky radar ships show up and drive me away from caps.  As far as play style, I do tend to be the tip of the spear for my teams - contesting caps, forward scouting, etc.

Should I be selecting more offensive skills?  If so, which ones?  I will tell you that I will NOT give up LS or CE.  Everything else is on the table.

Also - I tried moving my Gearing captain into my Sims and the game wouldn't let me.  Are T10 captains not allowed to be assigned to other ships?

Members
1,484 posts
9,676 battles

Did you already have another captain in Sims? T10 captains will work just fine in any premium ship of the same nation.

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
919 posts
14,121 battles

For what it's worth, I think a certain amount of defensive mindset in the current radar-heavy environment is a healthy thing. Surviving to the late game allows you to continue to make a difference: spotting, torping (attacks and area denial) and keeping the enemy captains from becoming hyper-aggressive. Personally, I think your captain perks are just about right.

Respects,

Am

[DBM]
Members
436 posts
5,849 battles

Hey, just found this: 

What do you think of his suggestions?  It's a year old before the Radar infusion.  Is it still valid?  He seems to rely heavily on 3 pt skills.

[DBM]
Members
436 posts
5,849 battles
46 minutes ago, _Rumple_ said:

Did you already have another captain in Sims? T10 captains will work just fine in any premium ship of the same nation.

I thought so too.  I cannot assign my Gearing captain into the Sims (she currently has no dedicated captain).  You think that maybe it has something to do with the fact that we're in the middle of Clan battles?

[DBM]
Members
436 posts
5,849 battles
1 hour ago, _Rumple_ said:

As the great Saturday Night Live skit quoted "NEVER MIND".  He was farther down my list because he was only an 11 pt captain.  We're good

[CUTER]
Members
2,818 posts
11,911 battles

Captain skill wise for US DDs IMO depends on what you are doing with it. 

Clan battles or Ranked:  PM, LS, SE, CE, RPF, SI, AR or TA

Randoms/Co Opt:  PM, LS, SE, CE, SI, BFT, TAE

Its good IMO to play with a defensive mindset.  Focus on getting good HP trades against the rival DDs, and gain cap control.  Once that is accomplished keep building up hte pressure on the enemy.  Smoke for allies, make sure you keep the spotting in your teams favor, and keep moving to good torp positions.

Edited by Destroyer_KuroshioKai

Members
1,484 posts
9,676 battles
14 hours ago, AMajor said:

I thought so too.  I cannot assign my Gearing captain into the Sims (she currently has no dedicated captain).  You think that maybe it has something to do with the fact that we're in the middle of Clan battles?

Nope. I am in the middle of clan battles and I have had my 19pt Shimakaze capt. in other premiums.

Edit--- just noticed you resolved the problem. Good.

Edited by _Rumple_

Sign in to follow this