Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Teutonic_Cat4

Pensacola

7 comments in this topic

Members
3 posts
416 battles

Recently acquired the Pensacola, and I have been having some problems sailing her. Horrible armor being the only real problem (guns are a big yes). I angle when I can and try not to get spotted right away even if that means using my team mates as cover. She seems to be made of citadels and its been a real hassle to do well in this ship. Tips?

[13CLM]
Members
227 posts
1,357 battles

I hate the rotation time of the turrets, god are they slow fore a cruiser, I feel like they are BB turrets.

As the Pecola, you can't be in the front, your a second line ship, stay between the BB's and cruisers. I try to keep red ships at 8 to 10kms.

• Cool 1

[CVA16]
Members
2,446 posts
10,122 battles
3 hours ago, Markk9 said:

As the Pecola, you can't be in the front, your a second line ship, stay between the BB's and cruisers. I try to keep red ships at 8 to 10kms.

True.

Your guns have good penetration. If you can pen from 10K+, why get closer?

Your turrets are slow. The closer you get, the bigger this deficiency gets.

Your armor is of questionable value at any range. At longer ranges, you can at least TRY to dodge some of the incoming shells. You have a decent rudder shift. DDs WILL citadel you at closer ranges.

You do not have torps while many of your opponents do! Getting in close is playing to their strengths.

[WOLF9]
Members
3,358 posts

Think of Pepsi as fire support, not a skirmisher.  Definitely not a knife fighter, lol.   You want to take advantage of inattentive enemies, and GTFO if the reds start looking at you.   You have the same # of turrets fore and aft, so you lose nothing by kiting.

Try to get yourself in a position where you are on the enemy's flank- the AP will gobble up impressive amounts of health vs any ship showing you broadside.

Just be prepared- Pensacola has been around since the very beginning, EVERYONE knows it has wet paper for armor.  Thus you will be targeted by any and everyone who spots you.   I call it Pensacola syndrome.   Plus, you have TEN 8" guns with USN AP- nobody  wants to leave that out there, running amok!  CE, and camo are musts!  A speed flag helps, too.   It's not a ship for the lazy or unskilled- but it IS a lot of fun, once you learn the knack for playing it.

Hopefully, WG will buff it a smidge sometime in the future- it really paid HARD for the drop to tier 6.

Keep plugging- they really get better farther along the tree!

[BOTO]
Members
192 posts
7,137 battles

1. Try not to tangle with DDs.  They can fairly easily maneuver so you can't bring your turrets to bear and then you're eating torpedoes or they can just pound you to death with AP.

2. Stay at range, at least 10km or so.

3.  Constantly maintain situational awareness as you need to always be in position to bring you guns to bear because of the slow turret traverse.

4.  After a dozen games or so I started strictly using AP, rarely switching to HE late in games or when there's a lot of DDs.  Her AP is excellent even at long range and you can get a lot of easy citadels against most of the ships you'll be matched against.

She could definitely use a buff to her turret traverse.  As is she is a bit difficult to play, you have to keep constant watch on the mini-map to make sure your positioned well.

[OTG]
Beta Testers
580 posts
8,425 battles

Always a good idea to do a topic search before starting a new thread.  Lots of Info on how to play the  Penzacola.  The way to play her at tier 6 is almost identical to how to play her at tier 8. 

The only thing I disagree with what has been said is the Avoid DDs, part.  She is great against DDs

I have a longer write up on the Tier8 that I will post in the Penzacola thread.  

Sign in to follow this