Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Joe_918145

I'm No Team Killer, Am I?

22 comments in this topic

Members
128 posts
6,187 battles

I've been playing since late in 2017, and until WG made the big changes regarding TK I had never been pink  I then managed to hit a couple of boats with friendly fire a time or two and served my pink sentence without any complaining on my part.

But the last two weeks I've lost count of how many times I've suffered the penalty.   I agree with the person here that always posts "You, and you alone, are responsible for your ordinance".  I hold off shooting ships when a friendly is too close to them, and always check the minimap before launching torps.  There is a common thread in all my pinkness of late, and it involves ships moving in close in front of my guns when I'm in a brawl.  Sometimes a trailing ship comes along beside me when I slam on the brakes, sometimes they come along beside me from the opposite direction.  Tonight I got pink camo because a DD I never saw swung directly in front of me as I was firing.  (That brings up a point. How do the guns on a BB hit a DD?  It would seem the main guns would be far above the level of a DD.)  

Anyway, I thought I'd tell you guys I was struggling and really hope I don't get to the point where I get more than the two game penalty.  Also, if anybody has any suggestions for me I'm all ears.  I do try to hit the right mouse button between shots, but sometimes I just don't anticipate a friendlies movement or I'm looking ahead to make sure I can dodge an island.

So now I'm off to Tier 1 Co-op to trade in my pink camo for something more comfortable....

Edited by Joe_918145
typo

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
759 posts
12,291 battles

Joe! We've all worn the pink stain now and then, brother. And pure random chance will sometimes dictate that situations unforeseen will leave you feeling like the RNG gods have you in their sights. lol

Sounds like you are doing all the right things. And sometimes, in the heat of battle, things happen. You are watching your mini-map and paying attention. Just rotten luck, my friend. Don't sweat it.

Respects,

Am

• Cool 2

[PVE]
Members
10,784 posts
7,940 battles
13 minutes ago, Joe_918145 said:

I've been playing since late in 2017, and until WG made the big changes regarding TK I had never been pink  I then managed to hit a couple of boats with friendly fire a time or two and served my pink sentence without any complaining on my part.

But the last two weeks I've lost count of how many times I've suffered the penalty.   I agree with the person here that always posts "You, and you alone, are responsible for your ordinance".  I hold off shooting ships when a friendly is too close to them, and always check the minimap before launching torps.  There is a common thread in all my pinkness of late, and it involves ships moving in close in front of my guns when I'm in a brawl.  Sometimes a trailing ship comes along beside me when I slam on the brakes, sometimes they come along beside me from the opposite direction.  Tonight I got pink camo because a DD I never saw swung directly in front of me as I was firing.  (That brings up a point. How do the guns on a BB hit a DD?  It would seem the main guns would be far above the level of a DD.)  

Anyway, I thought I'd tell you guys I was struggling and really hope I don't get to the point where I get more than the two game penalty.  Also, if anybody has any suggestions for me I'm all ears.  I do try to hit the right mouse button between shots, but sometimes I just don't anticipate a friendlies movement or I'm looking ahead to make sure I can dodge an island.

So now I'm off to Tier 1 Co-op to trade in my pink camo for something more comfortable....

2 minutes ago, Amracil said:

Joe! We've all worn the pink stain now and then, brother. And pure random chance will sometimes dictate that situations unforeseen will leave you feeling like the RNG gods have you in their sights. lol

Sounds like you are doing all the right things. And sometimes, in the heat of battle, things happen. You are watching your mini-map and paying attention. Just rotten luck, my friend. Don't sweat it.

Respects,

Am

WG tightened up the pink because the griefers were still gaming the system. You no longer need to sink the ship to go pink. Doing 10-15% of the friendly ship's HP will make you pink now. So if you plink a green DD, it is easy to go pink. At least they dropped the penalty down to 2 games at first, so you are not pink for long.

[LOU1]
Members
3,152 posts
8,378 battles

The only suggestion I have is for you to hold fire.  I have died more than once because I had to hold fire when a friendly cut in front of me.  That, and taking unnecessary damage, have increased during the Go! Navy event where killing a ship gives points.  I have to assume that players going after Pirate kills is going to just increase that further this weekend.

Members
1,172 posts
3,153 battles

Don't feel bad, we all turn pink from time to time. I was an idiot and outright teamkilled a teammate cruiser with my Aki's torps in ranked once, and I really felt horrible about that. Be more careful and it doesn't happen that often, but obviously it still happens. 

Members
4,676 posts
6,811 battles
4 minutes ago, CarbonButtprint said:

Don't feel bad, we all turn pink from time to time. I was an idiot and outright teamkilled a teammate cruiser with my Aki's torps in ranked once, and I really felt horrible about that. Be more careful and it doesn't happen that often, but obviously it still happens. 

Well it's pretty easy now to get pink. I see pink players on my team and I do not give it a second thought..........unless they prove why they are pink by doing dumb crap or TKing. However most who are pink just honestly screwed up.  As I have and still do. Lots.

Members
128 posts
6,187 battles

Thanks for the replies guys.  I did manage to play several battles tonight after I posted and never even rammed a friendly, much less shoot or torp one.  LOL!

Am may have hit on the issue. Maybe not RNG, but just the unlucky timing of firing when a friendly is close to swapping paint with you is all it takes to go pink now.  

Hope to see y'all on my team in battle soon!

[ARGSY]
Members
7,109 posts
4,839 battles

It's very easy to go pink, and it's also possible to earn teamkiller status despite not actually sinking a friendly ship. I feel the latter is a bit bizarre, but that's the way things are.

Keep a Black Swan in port and use it to work the pink off in co-op. The AP means you will never accidentally set a dumb bot on fire that it can't repair, and I don't think I've ever seen a detonation from a Black Swan hit. Is it even possible, @theLaalaa?

[-K-]
Supertester, In AlfaTesters
2,110 posts
9,912 battles

I think @Pigeon_of_War spends more time pink than green :Smile-_tongue:  It happens to all of us. Heck the other night I clipped a DD with a single shell from my BB and turned pink even though he did not die.

[WAIFU]
Members
1,111 posts
6,074 battles
3 hours ago, Joe_918145 said:

My tip would be to get out of the binocular mode between shots. You say you press the right mouse button between shots, but you fail to see ships around you. Battleships have 30 seconds between shots to look around and plan their next attack. You have no reason not to know what's around you. Situational awareness is everything in this game. Take the time to look around, look at the minimap and plan your actions in consequence. Hell, that may even allow you to see that DD that was spotted right before your reload was up and you could change target to him instead! You said yourself: You, and you alone, are responsible for your ordinance. That includes your guns.

All that said though, I understand that things get a bit messy when brawling and that you start getting tunnel vision. It's still your responsibility to not hit your allies though. But I have also been guilty of launching very dangerous torps while brawling...

[PSP]
Members
6,649 posts
9,622 battles

Under the new rules you can turn pink for only damage to and not per se sinking a teammate. I've seen actual teamkilling only three or four times in nearly two years. The vast majority of pink players are so because of accidents. Nearly every third game has one or two pink players in it. People don't even mention it anymore so being pink is really of no consequence. Under the new rules you are only pink two games or three for being AFK. It's interesting that a lost connection renders more "punishment" than a blatant teamkill.

Edited by Snargfargle

[PVE]
Members
1,983 posts
18,398 battles

(That brings up a point. How do the guns on a BB hit a DD?  It would seem the main guns would be far above the level of a DD.)  

In long range combat yes because your guns are facing upward to get the high arcs necessary for long range fire...but in brawling range (as you stated) they are almost vertical & DDs (such as a Fletcher class...although small in comparison to a BB) are still longer than a football field & the top of the superstructure does stretch up a ways.

Have you seen the TV show "Last Ship"...that huge [edited]ship that the show is based on is just a DD (a much more modern DD than the era of the ships in the game but still just a DD).

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos

[WOLF2]
Members
1,570 posts
13,580 battles

I got 42 games once - but I swear it was an accident :)

You're fine and on the plus side, I'll bet no DD is gonna buzz past your firing lane as long as you're pink :)

[LNWLF]
Members
93 posts

How to know if you might be at team killer.

1. Are you pink?

NO. You are not a team killer. 

YES. Then you are a team killer.

2. Was it your fault?

YES. You fired the round you are absolutely and unequivocally 100% responsible for where it goes. There is no gray area.

NO. Liar!

Members
774 posts
16,147 battles
5 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Keep a Black Swan in port and use it to work the pink off in co-op. The AP means you will never accidentally set a dumb bot on fire that it can't repair, and I don't think I've ever seen a detonation from a Black Swan hit. Is it even possible, @theLaalaa?

In almost 6000 Swan games, I have never detonated an opponent. The Swan's guns are puny and only do appreciable damage by citadeling an opponent.

ALSO: Don't go to Tier 1 Co-Op to repaint your Mary Kay ride! Come to Tier 1 Random and have some fun!!

[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
1,240 posts
10 hours ago, Kizarvexis said:

WG tightened up the pink because the griefers were still gaming the system. You no longer need to sink the ship to go pink. Doing 10-15% of the friendly ship's HP will make you pink now. So if you plink a green DD, it is easy to go pink. At least they dropped the penalty down to 2 games at first, so you are not pink for long.

It's just being exploited in a different way now. People ram you out of smoke, pull up right next to you while you're zoomed in firing  and get hit. Deliberately turn in to friendly torpedoes. It was an an unnecessary and pointless change.

• Boring 1

[TDRB]
Members
1,299 posts
4,971 battles

How do the guns on a BB hit a DD?  It would seem the main guns would be far above the level of a DD

I had a single shell hit the mask of a friendly ship who sailed in front of me during a brawl. I couldn't of done that no matter how many times I tried.

Members
2,266 posts
1,039 battles
5 hours ago, theLaalaa said:

In almost 6000 Swan games, I have never detonated an opponent. The Swan's guns are puny and only do appreciable damage by citadeling an opponent.

ALSO: Don't go to Tier 1 Co-Op to repaint your Mary Kay ride! Come to Tier 1 Random and have some fun!!

Unless you are a pirate ;).

[ARGSY]
Members
7,109 posts
4,839 battles
On 18/08/2018 at 7:23 AM, theLaalaa said:

To repaint your WHAT? :Smile_teethhappy:

I am well aware of the fun to be had in Tier 1 Randoms, but co-op games are easier, quicker and safer; there are four fewer friendly ships to hit accidentally, and four fewer (and much more careless) enemies to kill before it's done.

Members
774 posts
16,147 battles
3 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

To repaint your WHAT? :Smile_teethhappy:

Mary Kay ride... you know, like this land barge:

76e9d7a7f8109fed49998bab89a70bb9.jpg

Or, if you're in Tier 1:

P1150656.JPG

• Funny 1

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
3,963 posts
13,193 battles

You can work off a minor pink infraction in ONE game.  It seems to be based not just on games played, but on one's performance.  When I go pink, I just keep playing the game normally.  Be it one game, or a couple.  No big deal.      

Members
182 posts
2,612 battles

Feh, I launched a spread of torps last night and one nearly traveled it's full 9km. A friendly DD managed to find it around the 8.9k point and bite it. 

Should I have launched them? Yeah, I got a kill with 90% them, and I still do not feel wrong. I acknowledge that I could have foreseen the DD travelling that route, and worked out probable paths of travel, but I took quick shot at a ship that appeared around a corner. 

Is the game wrong for making me pink? No
Was I wrong to launch them? Maybe
Was the DD wrong for not avoiding it? No, and I am sorry I sunk him

Does it matter unless you are a jerk who does this on purpose? Nah, just take a deep breath, add a beat and the bad run will lift. 

Edited by Captain_Kylere

Sign in to follow this