You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Ilikewarships_2018

Is Omaha the HE spamming king/Queen, or is she just the worst ship ever build

12 comments in this topic

[SYN]
Members
1,380 posts
15,412 battles

Omaha used to be borderline OP, but she has been powercreeped significantly and is stuck in to many T6/7 battles.  A Lyon just glances at an Omaha and gets a dev strike.

Edited by Warped_1

[KAPPA]
Members
358 posts
4,642 battles

She's a ship with a lesson to teach. And that lesson is how not to die horribly. I actually got Marblehead, an arguably worse Omaha, just because I liked Omaha's playstyle. This way I can put whatever commander I like in her, as opposed to having to keep Omaha around. Neither sees much use, but she's always an option if I'm in the mood, as she managed to fight her way into my heart by the time I finally reached my goal: Cleveland.

Still, she's a ship that rewards skilled play and careful dodging. She's honestly obscenely difficult to make effective use of.

[KAPPA]
Members
112 posts
4,748 battles

I will honestly say this: I hated Omaha the first time I played her, as she was the first cruiser line I went up - and it's more the exposure to high tiers that killed her (when i started, I was great up through Phoenix, but Omaha was my first speed bump).

Now that I've played more, I love Omaha - and I like her a heck of a lot more than the light cruiser after.

She's very fun, her number of guns and their position means that, while you can't bring them all to bear on one target, you will find guns being able to come free when you maneuver.  And dear me, with Omaha, you need to maneuver.  She's the queen of WASD hacks for me.  (or at least somewhere in the line of succession).  She's also my favorite cruiser to duel a battleship one on one in - you just keep her bow on and frustrate same tier opponents as they struggle to get a bead on you.  Her 6 guns end on make her ideal for pursuit, and her high speed means that she can easily keep up with destroyers.  (compare at tier, she has more guns forward than anyone save Emile, which really does help).

Her guns lso work different from later US guns, and have that higher velocity than you'd expect, so they actually do better at longer ranges.  And while HE is good, that AP can be quite workable, even if you're just focusing on superstructure.  It's no British AP, but it'll do in a pinch.

You just have to keep your mighty big and vulnerable cit hidden, you have to be wary about pushing when you don't know where the enemy heavies are.  The opponent will see an Omaha and see a nice, juicy target; you will have to stay mobile and stay back until you find the seam you can exploit.  Don't try to go out of your way to use your torps if you're an Omaha; the situation where you need them will arise, but you shouldn't be using them unless you have no other option (if only because your big juicy cit is exposed and you have to get really close).

In battleship heavy games, she'll suffer, and as bottom tier she often has trouble as well.  She's much more survivable than an Emerald just by my experience playing against them (or rather, Emeralds are easier for me to kill).  As long as she stays in the 4-6 range, she does just fine; T7 is where you need to be cautious.  I honestly don't play mine much anymore, as i have my Marblehead and am eagerly hoping for a Raleigh (seriously, Raleigh and Detroit need to be in the game), but Omaha is difficult, but rewarding.

• Cool 1

[KAPPA]
Members
112 posts
4,748 battles
12 minutes ago, Ilikewarships_2018 said:

I HATED Omaha when I was with her for like a month but when I first got her I was excited but now she is like my 11th favorite ship.

I really need to play her more.  She's basically like Duca and Yubari, both of which I find to be fun ships.  Not necessarily good at Duca, but it's that same style of fast, rapid fire, accurate,  and virtually no armor.  i kinda hoped that the new T6 cruiser would be the hypothetical 4x2 "replacement" or "successor" to the Omaha, but sadly it wasn't.  So the only T6 playstyle I feel that is similar is her.

Just a good ship though definitely has plenty of weak points when not careful.

Though, incidentally, most of Omaha's crews tended to hate her as well.  Poor ships really didn't have many fans of their design, even when they were new.

[KAPPA]
Members
112 posts
4,748 battles
9 minutes ago, Ilikewarships_2018 said:

Didn't she get buffed recently?

Can't find any in the changelogs or the quotes, for either Dallas or Omaha.  Haven't paid as "much" attention to the website as recently, but I haven't seen anything.