Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Snargfargle

Why don't they preserve the Enterprise?

12 comments in this topic

[PSP]
Members
6,683 posts
9,788 battles

Why don't they preserve the Enterprise and other aircraft carriers as a museum ships? Because it costs way too much.

The General Accounting Office estimates the cost of taking apart the vessel and sending the reactors to a nuclear waste storage facility at up to $1.5 billion, or about one-eighth the cost of a brand-new aircraft carrier.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/navy-ships/a22690208/us-navy-dismantling-uss-enterprise-nuclear-disposal/

[SF-A]
Members
2,949 posts
5,920 battles

They should just ground it on some tiny island in the Pacific and call it an airfield. Take that China!

Spoiler

No no, don't tell Yamato.

• Funny 2

[TBW]
Members
6,607 posts
12,463 battles

"If we hang on so tightly, to things of the past, how can we firmly grasp, the things of our future."

SSM (Me)

[_ARP_]
Supertester
11,945 posts
4,170 battles

Short Answer: Reactor has to be removed for safety and environmental reasons. Removal of reactor requires the ship to be cut up.

Edited by Goose21891
  • Cool 2

[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
4,145 posts
13,521 battles

@Snargfargle Rally citizens to contribute 1.5 billion should be an easy fund raiser folks likely have that much stored in their spare change drawers

@Goose21891 Yea that's a given and is in his OP also! So either way 1.5 billion is going to be spent! I imagine if they decided to tow her out to deep water and scuttle her some astute tow company owner will find a way to bill 1.5 billion also! My cousins in New Orleans Bisso Marine comes to mind as if they need the money!

Members
1,701 posts
5,144 battles
51 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Why don't they preserve the Enterprise and other aircraft carriers as a museum ships? Because it costs way too much.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/navy-ships/a22690208/us-navy-dismantling-uss-enterprise-nuclear-disposal/

Yes, that's certainly true of nuclear powered ships.  It's kind of a shame by if you are looking for ships to perserve, there are whole fleets of them that are not nuclear and those are a far less expensive proposition. 

[SOUP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,771 posts

Because you can't turn EVERY ship into a museum. They're expensive to maintain too, they might preserve the last Nimitz to be decommissioned but right now you need the steel for your Fords

Members
2,330 posts
6,561 battles
35 minutes ago, Goose21891 said:

Short Answer: Reactor has to be removed for safety and environmental reasons. Removal of reactor requires the ship to be cut up.

Pretty much this, very few Nuclear ships will ever be preserved in full due to the decommissioning process of the reactors unless by the time the last Nimitz is paid off, they can decommission the reactor and render it safe without essentially bisecting the ship

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
1,249 posts
4,942 battles
44 minutes ago, Chobittsu said:

Because you can't turn EVERY ship into a museum. They're expensive to maintain too, they might preserve the last Nimitz to be decommissioned but right now you need the steel for your Fords

Hate to break the news but the steel industry especially stainless is really busy. I know because I'm hauling it all over the country every week and lining my pockets doing it! :cap_like:  if I wanted to put up with the B.S. at the northern border about my schnauzer being with me I could haul it up there and to Alaska too...

You are correct on the first point many of our museum ship are in poor repair due to funding. Alabama near me is worn at the edges....

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
5,404 posts
4,087 battles
1 hour ago, Goose21891 said:

Isn't that also the problem with the USS Dallas (the nuclear submarine) museum idea?

I recall that there was / is a big push to preserve her because of her iconic role in the film The Hunt for Red October (though she herself wasn't the sub in the film).

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
5,404 posts
4,087 battles
On 8/20/2018 at 9:16 PM, HazeGrayUnderway said:

CV-6 Enterprise's thoughts about CVN-65 Enterprise's end:

https://www.duffelblog.com/2013/10/theyre-scrapping-the-enterprise-boo-hoo-hoo/

:Smile_Default:

Man...ships were made so well back then that their leftovers can write editorial pieces :Smile-_tongue:.

Sign in to follow this