Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Guardian54

Who thought ORANGE was great camouflage????

25 comments in this topic

[70]
Members
1,102 posts
5,702 battles

There's a problem with the Restless Fire camo: It's orange.

Do you know what else is orange and supposed to be stealthy? Naruto.

Yeah, this guy's level of subtle...

Spoiler

__uchiha_sasuke_and_uzumaki_naruto_juras

__haruno_sakura_hatake_kakashi_naruko_uc

Think about that for a moment.

I for one only realized this, much to my horror, today. Hence this thread.

So I got some questions:

1) Why is orange supposed to be a subtle colour, when not at dusk or morning?

2) Why doesn't this camo, by its name, provide reduced fire chance?

Edited by Guardian54
  • Funny 1

Members
1,016 posts
19,129 battles

My first thought to the post's title question was: Fellow deer hunters?

• Cool 1

Members
821 posts
6,988 battles

Hue isn’t the only factor in blurring figure ground relationships.  Saturation and value (Value is arguably the most important) play into the effect too.  On the open ocean it’s hard to make a ship vanish, but it’s relatively easy to make it hard to see which direction it’s travelling and how fast to moving.  Hence the weird camo we see here.

[WAIFU]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
13,557 posts
5,666 battles

If WG ever releases a Dutch premium ship then I want... nay DEMAND that it has a neon orange camo.:fish_viking:

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
23,344 posts
3,895 battles

Camo isn't supposed to be realistic in this game. It has a programmed effect and then it has a graphic that allows players to customize their appearance in-game a bit.

[MIA-P]
Members
671 posts
6,627 battles

I think you're forgetting that Naruto is, in fact, a PROFESSIONAL ninja, with years of experience being very sneaky and discrete. Before you dismiss the ridiculousness of an orange camouflage therefore, you might be well served to think about why this, again, VERY EXPERIENCED NINJA WHO HAS SURVIVED A LOT MORE LIFE OR DEATH BATTLES THAN YOU HAVE might choose this color.  

For example, what if the enemy is color blind, hmm? What then? Well, an orange camouflage would be extremely effective then!

Frankly, I think your mocking tone towards the very idea of an orange camouflage without even a thought to the experiences of other people is extremely inconsiderate. I mean, imagine if a corgi came into this thread, and saw the mocking tone with which you dismissed the experience of its color blindness. How do you think that corgi would feel? What do you think that mocking would do to it? I think you owe corgis everywhere an apology for your tone, young sir.

• Funny 1

[70]
Members
1,102 posts
5,702 battles
7 minutes ago, senseNOTmade said:

I think you're forgetting that Naruto is, in fact, a PROFESSIONAL ninja, with years of experience being very sneaky and discrete. Before you dismiss the ridiculousness of an orange camouflage therefore, you might be well served to think about why this, again, VERY EXPERIENCED NINJA WHO HAS SURVIVED A LOT MORE LIFE OR DEATH BATTLES THAN YOU HAVE might choose this color.

You should see my only serious Naruto fanfic.

I claimed that giving him the orange jumpsuit was an attempt to make him easier to catch.

...It didn't work for more than a few days. After that he was back to sneaking up Hokage Mountain and painting it overnight with NO ONE NOTICING (lolwut)

Notice how Naruto added other colours post-timeskip to be slightly lower-contrast and break up his contours a bit.

Kishimoto went from high-speed chess in the Zabuza fight to shonen brawling later on, which was a real disappointment. Naruto later on is... NOT subtle. Too much power escalation involved.

Edited by Guardian54
  • Cool 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
1,272 posts
5,687 battles
1 minute ago, Shoggoth_pinup said:

A better question is why we can paint ourselves like a school bus.

There is that....:cap_cool:

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
23,344 posts
3,895 battles
33 minutes ago, Guardian54 said:

Kishimoto went from high-speed chess in the Zabuza fight to shonen brawling later on, which was a real disappointment. Naruto later on is... NOT subtle. Too much power escalation involved.

Welcome to shounen anime, where everything is DBZ and the power levels don't matter.

[WOLF3]
Members
20,962 posts
19,413 battles

qepsMDG.png

Just now, KiyoSenkan said:

Welcome to shounen anime, where everything is DBZ and the power levels don't matter.

It doesn't matter if it isn't over 9000!

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
4,277 posts
9,895 battles

Time for a quick history lesson - Ship Camo circa WW1 wasn't about concealing a ship against the ocean or sky, it was about making it hard to judge speed, range, heading, etc. It was called "Dazzle Camouflage". Because all range finding was manually done, the hope was primarily with Submarines to make it harder to judge these things so they could not get a good shot and position wrong. While it's effectiveness is debated still, it's purpose was not concealment, but confusion. With Radar and other no-visual reliant range finding, it became obsolete by WW2 where it was used far less, instead opting for more blues and greys usually. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dazzle_camouflage

Other than the school bus one, they are all pretty much plays off the dazzle concept. 

Members
4,094 posts
15,015 battles

State law here in Wyoming sez that we must wear orange when hunting so I don't mind orange cammy on my botes.

Here's some other orange bote cammy.

shot-18_08.17_15_00.58-0538.thumb.jpg.8f4ae8c08f787e95cf52856470b26a01.jpg

shot-18_08.17_15_01.20-0221.thumb.jpg.b1d8f67e5d8bc14282a4c5635f2ca3fd.jpg

And let's not fo-git tha yaller!

shot-18_08.17_15_01.36-0421.thumb.jpg.2c3a3fe51af1adc99ad20057bea3e66d.jpg

[WOLF2]
Members
3,440 posts
15,073 battles
1 hour ago, galspanic said:

Hue isn’t the only factor in blurring figure ground relationships.  Saturation and value (Value is arguably the most important) play into the effect too.  On the open ocean it’s hard to make a ship vanish, but it’s relatively easy to make it hard to see which direction it’s travelling and how fast to moving.  Hence the weird camo we see here.

Zebras might appear to have very bad camo, but in reality what you say it true. The black white vertical stripes make it very hard to track motion apparently.

This may also be true for a tiger, including the fact that their main prey is somewhat colorblind lol

I'm not an expert on any of this, but it's interesting

[SALVO]
Members
21,361 posts
21,609 battles
3 hours ago, Super_Dreadnought said:

If WG ever releases a Dutch premium ship then I want... nay DEMAND that it has a neon orange camo.:fish_viking:

SD, I don't get the linkage between a Dutch prem ship and neon orange camo.  What am I missing here?

[SALVO]
Members
21,361 posts
21,609 battles

For what it's worth, camouflage on ships is less about concealing the ship than it is about confusing enemy's firing solutions on those ships.  That said, from a realism stand point, I think that bright colors like oranges and yellows and reds are silly because they attract attention.  But from a game standpoint, it's not usually that big a deal.

I will say this however.  For those of us who were around when cyclones were first introduced, we remember that cyclones had a strongly immersive visual component that doesn't exist any longer.  At the edge of the 8 km (I think it was actually only 6km when first introduced) detection range, there was a thick fog beyond which you couldn't see a thing, not even terrain.  And ships that were close to the edge of that detection range in the fog got progressively more difficult to see.  And if the enemy ship had more realistic camo colors, it tended to blend into the fog, whereas ships sporting the more bright and  gaudy camo colors were actually easier to spot in the fog.  I remember a Fujin with its bright Halloween-ish colors and how it was easy to spot its bright orange against the gray fog.

I really wish that they'd put that fog back into cyclones.  They were much more visually entertaining back then when ships disappeared into the fog and you couldn't see anything including islands beyond max detection range.  

[WAIFU]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
13,557 posts
5,666 battles
10 minutes ago, Crucis said:

SD, I don't get the linkage between a Dutch prem ship and neon orange camo.  What am I missing here?

https://www.tripsavvy.com/significance-of-the-color-orange-1456762

Afaik it's the official colour of the Dutch royal family, who hail from the House of Oranje, but I'm no expert. And they use orange for everything like their football team's shirt colours. You'd need a proper Dutchman who may look like a black cat to tell you in real depth.

[_-_]
Members
2,148 posts

I do believe there were some uses of "dazzle" camo schemes that included orange during WW1. I remember seeing a war bond drive poster with a 4-piper in the most gawd-awful psychedelic bad trip you ever saw.

I think the orange was to confuse observation at dawn and dusk, because the old u-boats used to attack on the surface at hours of reduced visibility. During WW1, subs were pretty much torpedo boats that could hide under water for awhile when they needed to.

Beta Testers
1,250 posts
9,099 battles

Camo should be able to dynamically change according to the mood of the driver. Otherwise I don't see why WoWs doesn't throw some screwball schemes in there like polka dot, spirals, pajamas, subway graffiti etc. as rewards. 

There's a directx routine that's been around since version 7 that paints an objects with a extremely convincing mirror texture. Ran across it while doing some graphics mods. That would be cool on big BB's.

[SALVO]
Members
21,361 posts
21,609 battles
15 minutes ago, Super_Dreadnought said:

https://www.tripsavvy.com/significance-of-the-color-orange-1456762

Afaik it's the official colour of the Dutch royal family, who hail from the House of Oranje, but I'm no expert. And they use orange for everything like their football team's shirt colours. You'd need a proper Dutchman who may look like a black cat to tell you in real depth.

For the life of me, I have no idea to whom you might be referring.  No idea, I tell you.  :Smile_hiding:

Members
23,178 posts
5,841 battles
6 hours ago, Guardian54 said:

1) Why is orange supposed to be a subtle colour, when not at dusk or morning?

Many players are akin to deer in the headlights, and Orange is hard for them to see....

Sign in to follow this