You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
GrimmeReaper

Getting hit in smoke while not firing.

23 comments in this topic

[TBOW]
Members
1,340 posts
10,981 battles

As of late when I play ships with smoke, I am getting it in that smoke when not firing and when I am off detection, and yes I am moving around in my smoke.  I know one of my clan mates has also been seeing more of this.  Thoughts?

[PVE]
Members
10,843 posts
7,979 battles
4 minutes ago, GrimmeReaper said:

As of late when I play ships with smoke, I am getting it in that smoke when not firing and when I am off detection, and yes I am moving around in my smoke.  I know one of my clan mates has also been seeing more of this.  Thoughts?

Check your minimap for the circle that appears to show the approximate location your shells will land. Add that to the last location spotted marker on the minimap, found in the minimap settings, then guessing your location in smoke and landing shells there becomes a lot easier.

Edited by Kizarvexis
  • Cool 2

[REVY]
Members
976 posts
7,854 battles

If I have my spotter plane up and I see a smoke screen popping up, I will take a moment to watch it, see where the new smoke appears and aim around the middle of the new puff, leading slight for where I think the DD will be.

Most of the time, I just find water, but occasionally I find a DD or CL hiding in the smoke.

[ARP2]
Members
1,280 posts
3,599 battles
7 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

Check your minimap for the circle that appears to show the approximate location your shells will land. Add that to the last location spotted marker on the minimap, found in the minimap settings, then guessing your location in smoke and landing shells there becomes a lot easier.

This is also a good way to hit ships in cyclones that you cant see.  That little circle wwas a terrible, yet wonderful idea.

• Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
7,338 posts
7,771 battles
10 minutes ago, Vangm94 said:

I am good at guessing

Pretty much this. I play DD's a lot, so I can usually figure out where you are, even if you're silent. If you're firing, you're dead much faster.

[STW]
Members
660 posts
4,706 battles

A lot of people are better at shooting into smoke than they used to be, especially since they got help with the little circle on the minimap and they've figured out the spotter plane trick.  I've found ripple instead of volley firing helps throw the aim guess off, especially in things like the RN CLs.

Edited by Deviathan

Beta Testers
22 posts
6,081 battles

When a ship under the smoke its firing constantly, its really easy for a good player to get some hits (Ex. minotaurs or dds), with a spotter plane activated, the difficulty decreases. Also if you are using a short reload ship, you just can throw shells till you spot a hit. Shooting to ships under the smoke was very ussual back then on other game called Navy Field :cap_cool:

[-K-]
Members
1,103 posts
7,614 battles

Also, once someone gets one hit, everyone can see where that shell hit a target, and they just start peppering that area more.

Members
1,072 posts
5,073 battles
20 minutes ago, GrimmeReaper said:

There is a new tool on the minimap where you can line up with the last known position of the ship in smoke, so you cant sit still in smoke and expect to not get hit.

[RMRGD]
Members
237 posts
17,338 battles

Some history here.   Smoke was always meant to be defensive not offensive.   If you are firing from smoke and NOT directly spotted that is lucky in itself.   If you keep doing it then ships by all means will shoot into that smoke and hit you.   The new circle on minimap makes this FAR easier now.   Another said spotter plane.  Smoke is really meant for defensive use to run, hide.   

[-BRS-]
Members
1,769 posts
14,242 battles

It's just another piece a love for the destroyers out there WG thinks we don't have hard enough 

[AWP]
Members
785 posts
3,279 battles
22 minutes ago, Lord_Slayer said:

Most of the time, I just find water, but occasionally I find a DD or CL hiding in the smoke.

I mean you miss every shot you don’t take. 

I do the same thing. Always laugh when it’s a citadel or two.

[CRMSN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,527 posts
3,819 battles
1 hour ago, GrimmeReaper said:

The new circle rectical that appears on the minimap makes it much easier to strike ships in smoke. 

[CRMSN]
5,527 posts
3,819 battles
1 hour ago, Deviathan said:

A lot of people are better at shooting into smoke than they used to be, especially since they got help with the little circle on the minimap and they've figured out the spotter plane trick.  I've found ripple instead of volley firing helps throw the aim guess off, especially in things like the RN CLs.

30 minutes ago, Kapitan_Wuff said:

People are getting better at shooting targets they can't see.

I would reckon that the new circle "Shoot here"  that now appears on the minimap has much more to do with this then people getting gud. 

Before it was the X on the map mod, now every player has it. 

[TBW]
Members
6,606 posts
12,463 battles

Also if you see a previous hit (a puff of black smoke) you can tell where the ship was in the smoke.

[OO7]
Members
2,229 posts
9,800 battles
1 hour ago, GrimmeReaper said:

More and more players are wisening up to the idea that if they have zero other targets in range or otherwise able to hit, might as well take a blind shot in a small smoke ring.

Plus even just average players often don't realize that their movement patterns are predictable, making it easy for skilled players to make educated guesses on invisible targets.

[CRMSN]
5,527 posts
3,819 battles

I dont understand why everyone is saying that players are improving their blind fire shots. 

Did we all forget that the new blind fire marker on the minimap was just introduced? It makes it incredibly easy now to blind fire smokes or behind islands... 

This has nothing to do with players improving @VGLance . It has to do with the X mark the spot mod being available to every single player now. Do you think its just coincidence?  I sure don't.. Even in CW you can see a clear difference. 

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,641 posts
8,499 battles

If I know where I last saw you, and an idea what way you intended to go, I can still hit you. I've citadeled ships 20 km out unspotted for 10 seconds that way before. Albeit part of it is RNG at that range. Smoke has never been truly safe, just all the Radar and all has made it less so in a much worse way.

[LWA]
Members
647 posts
9,275 battles

I got a kill yesterday on a low HP DD trying to hide in smoke at over 10k away.....it was a great lucky deliberate hit.  He probably would have been safe had he stopped shooting, but he wanted to get some damage points from a BB that was less than 5k away from him.....I can relate.  I wanted to save my team mate as it was a close match, so I just kept firing into the smoke where his gun plumes where....and I got quite a few hits before he went boom and I received the red ribbon for a sunk ship. 

Being in smoke undetected while firing is not truly "hidden", we can see you are there.   And, WG recently implemented the the little cursur on the mini-map where are rounds will impact.....just line it up were you were last spotted in the smoke, or a little behind (as most DDs back up in smoke) and BAM. 

The best way to smoke up is to be not spotted before you become "hidden" in smoke.  In the higher the tiers smoke is all but useless with all the radar, super German hydro, and torpedo spam.  I sometimes will pop my smoke to use as a decoy to attract torpedoes, which works most of the time.

[OO7]
Members
2,229 posts
9,800 battles
33 minutes ago, Cobraclutch said:

I dont understand why everyone is saying that players are improving their blind fire shots. 

Did we all forget that the new blind fire marker on the minimap was just introduced? It makes it incredibly easy now to blind fire smokes or behind islands... 

This has nothing to do with players improving @VGLance . It has to do with the X mark the spot mod being available to every single player now. Do you think its just coincidence?  I sure don't.. Even in CW you can see a clear difference. 

I'm not denying those tools aren't a contributing factor. But it does take skill to be aware enough to use those tools no different than it takes skill to know which ammo type to use. After three years you cannot deny that players who have played that long have continued, even if just slowly, to progress through the learning curve and make wiser decisions.