You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
LoveBote

Proof cv skill gap theory is not always true.

34 comments in this topic

[-Y-]
[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
5,272 posts
7,571 battles

shot-18_08.17_18_29.47-0131.thumb.jpg.4eb07651d98d7b7bf87570ef8ebefe70.jpg

in case of doubt, the green team lost, the red team won.

• Bad 4

[OO7]
[OO7]
Members
1,693 posts
6,094 battles

I'm afraid trying to use GZ as an example of why CVs aren't broken may be an abysmal idea.

• Cool 5
  • Funny 2

[SUCIT]
Members
910 posts
3,857 battles
2 minutes ago, _V12 said:

I'm afraid trying to use GZ as an example of why CVs aren't broken may be an abysmal idea.

Much less cherry picking one single game where the OP is bottom tier and calling the years of counter evidence invalid.  

• Funny 2

[OO7]
[OO7]
Members
1,693 posts
6,094 battles
Just now, XpliCT_PaiiN said:

Much less cherry picking one single game where the OP is bottom tier and calling the years of counter evidence invalid.  

Not really, GZ is just rather uniquely equipped to be influential no matter the circumstances.  I manage 85% in it.  That's over more than a hundred games.

[SUCIT]
Members
910 posts
3,857 battles
Just now, _V12 said:

Not really, GZ is just rather uniquely equipped to be influential no matter the circumstances.  I manage 85% in it.  That's over more than a hundred games.

Honestly you're a great CV player, but 85% WR in that sample size is just downright comical. 

Fair and Balans Comrade.

[STW]
Members
660 posts
4,690 battles

1 game doesn't prove anything other than in this particular instance, your team was too heavy for even the superior CV player (and way OP CV) to pull it out.  It happens, but it's not typical.

[WOLF2]
Members
245 posts
4,594 battles

I love this proof as if the concept of variance just doesn't exist.  Of course, any data set will have variance.  The lack of it would more likely indicate tampering.  But to make this simpler, the 85% win rate player above will almost always be the highest skilled CV player in a game, yet they still lose 15% of their games.  Similarly, a 30% CV player will probably always be the lower skilled CV player in the game, yet they win 30% of their games.  It's almost like there is a concept called variance to explain this.

• Cool 1

[OO7]
Members
3,295 posts
9,731 battles
Just now, Deviathan said:

1 game doesn't prove anything other than in this particular instance, your team was too heavy for even the superior CV player (and way OP CV) to pull it out.  It happens, but it's not typical.

I can take one game and show that I am the best player on the server, because my frags per game and damage per game were higher than anyone's average on the server. 

[KNTI2]
Members
797 posts
4,609 battles
30 minutes ago, DarthZeppelin said:

Whether or not the CV causes the game to be won (which is overwhelmingly likely to happen, given that one CV now has complete air superiority) is not what the gap is, the gap is in the ability for a lower skilled CV to at least put up a halfway decent fight.

You proved that the gap exists. Good job.

Edited by NATOMarksman
  • Cool 1

Members
18,951 posts
5,333 battles

No theory is always true. As soon as you prove a theory to be true, it becomes a fact.

Members
641 posts

I must protest the use of statistics in this thread. Can we keep the conversation to a sixth grade level.?

I want to thank the OP for blocking the names of his team. The Potato Clan (POT) was holding practice that night and our divisions ended up on his team.  The OP is obviously a supporter of the RPSCA community. (Rushers, Potato’s, sniper, Camper, AFK) 

Outstanding players like the OP keep us well above the 15% win rate.

Bravo Sir or Ma’am

• Funny 1

[ADR]
Members
4,317 posts
13,539 battles
2 hours ago, XpliCT_PaiiN said:

shhh, this is how stats are used to feed a narative

[-Y-]
[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
5,272 posts
7,571 battles
3 hours ago, _V12 said:

Such cynicism!:Smile_hiding:

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,284 posts

I'm pleased to see the Grozo up there on the red team list as a force afloat... as I just picked one up yesterday... got 3 random matches in it so far. 

OP, i've been in dueling GZ matches before and the majority of the team look for ocean holes to hide their heads cause "like omg it's a GZ"... any possibility that played a role in the loss?

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,621 posts
8,485 battles
4 hours ago, DarthZeppelin said:

Other news, water - wet.

Never gonna convince the haters that a CV can literally be AFK the whole match, as I was once because the game wouldn't load, crashed, and wouldn't load again, and my team won. I've had games I shut down the enemy CV, but the teamwork of the other team, can't do much else with overlapped AA and my team can't do a damned thing elsewise. They'd all rather chalk it up to "CV OP blahhhhh"then "we needed more teamwork". Do CV's need certain nerfs, yes, but need some buffs as well. Is there a skill gap that needs to be addressed because of things like a broken strafe and manual drop mechanic - yes. Are CV's the sole defining factor of who wins a match - hell no. 

• Cool 3

[MKF]
Members
421 posts
15,467 battles
24 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

I'm pleased to see the Grozo up there on the red team list as a force afloat... as I just picked one up yesterday... got 3 random matches in it so far. 

OP, i've been in dueling GZ matches before and the majority of the team look for ocean holes to hide their heads cause "like omg it's a GZ"... any possibility that played a role in the loss?

Groz is a great DD. Cant say it needed a heal but I'll take it

[-Y-]
[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
5,272 posts
7,571 battles
23 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

it always plays a part, for some team members. Not just with a Graf, but any CV makes some players behave oddly, kamikazing yolos are not uncommon.

As for Groz, I have always had serious respect for that DD, it does very well in this sort of set up.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,284 posts

Well... I have a 14pt cmdr in my Grozo... so a ways to go for the ultimate build. But four matches and I'm really liking it. Now - back to your regular threaded thread... 

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,989 posts
10,664 battles

Oh phew, I just have to hope the carrier is bottom tier and that people are otherwise heroically bad?

[-Y-]
[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
5,272 posts
7,571 battles
13 minutes ago, mofton said:

Oh phew, I just have to hope the carrier is bottom tier and that people are otherwise heroically bad?

this is actually (sadly) quite a common scenario. I rarely get to cv top tier bullying t6 bbs with a t8 cv, for example. We cvs have a hard life as you know.:Smile_glasses:

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,989 posts
10,664 battles
14 minutes ago, DarthZeppelin said:

this is actually (sadly) quite a common scenario. I rarely get to cv top tier bullying t6 bbs with a t8 cv, for example. We cvs have a hard life as you know.:Smile_glasses:

The wages of carrier sin are T10 matchmaking - Serb 10:14.

[HECA]
Members
191 posts
3,569 battles

Surviving Ships.... American BB....American CA....American CA....  Strong AA Russian DD.

Are you sure that's not proving that AA can be devastating towards planes, and MM doesn't factor AA ships into it's balancing?

• Cool 3