Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Happy668

Yorck is pretty good, here are grinding through stats

24 comments in this topic

[WOLF1]
Members
2,652 posts

People said it's a bad ship, but I have to grind through it to get the Hindy, it took me a while to get a hang of it, then it's a pretty good ship I would say, 58% winrate, average damage 53k, kill/death ratio 2.79

shot-18_08.16_22_11.07-0157m.thumb.jpg.3efb13713ea813d011901238f7f82f5d.jpg

• Boring 1

[CRMSN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,953 posts
4,318 battles

Some people will call me crazy saying this. But I preferred the York over the pre buff hipper. 

I really really did not enjoy the pre buff hipper lol. 

• Cool 1

[WOLF1]
Members
2,652 posts
3 minutes ago, Cobraclutch said:

Some people will call me crazy saying this. But I preferred the York over the pre buff hipper. 

I really really did not enjoy the pre buff hipper lol. 

yeah got the hipper, and first few games sucked lol

[TSG4B]
Members
197 posts
5,283 battles

The Yorck is the odd-ball in the German Cruiser line. As long as you play into it's strengths, it can be a good ship.

[WOLF2]
Members
250 posts
5,398 battles

We didn't say Yorck was bad, we said Yorck was the worst german heavy cruiser.  This is generally true being it is the lowest tier german heavy cruiser, but also because it has many negative traits compared to its bigger cousins.  The 210s have odd gun handling with floaty shells and horrible traverse.  Similarly, it has mediocre armor (not horrible).  When you move to hipper, you get better guns, the 203s.  They have better handling, faster traverse, heavier shells and better dispersion.  The armor is also a major upgrade, getting a 27in bow allowing bow tanking of all 15in shells, which make up a surprising portion of her MM spread.  Her ability to angle is also pretty good.  Roon gives you slightly better guns and 1 more gun.  Finally, Hindy gives you 12 guns and pretty good armor for her tier and capabilities.

[WOLF1]
Members
2,652 posts
3 minutes ago, real_icebeast said:

We didn't say Yorck was bad, we said Yorck was the worst german heavy cruiser.  This is generally true being it is the lowest tier german heavy cruiser, but also because it has many negative traits compared to its bigger cousins.  The 210s have odd gun handling with floaty shells and horrible traverse.  Similarly, it has mediocre armor (not horrible).  When you move to hipper, you get better guns, the 203s.  They have better handling, faster traverse, heavier shells and better dispersion.  The armor is also a major upgrade, getting a 27in bow allowing bow tanking of all 15in shells, which make up a surprising portion of her MM spread.  Her ability to angle is also pretty good.  Roon gives you slightly better guns and 1 more gun.  Finally, Hindy gives you 12 guns and pretty good armor for her tier and capabilities.

i agree Yorck's shells fly really high, take forever to land, the AP is worse than HE somehow (even though they have the same muzzle speed), can't get AP to work, so i mostly stick to HE, and Yorck does turn quickly, the Hipper feels much more sluggish

[WOLF2]
Members
250 posts
5,398 battles
2 minutes ago, Happy668 said:

i agree Yorck's shells fly really high, take forever to land, the AP is worse than HE somehow (even though they have the same muzzle speed), can't get AP to work, so i mostly stick to HE, and Yorck does turn quickly, the Hipper feels much more sluggish

Hipper, and all her successors, definitely play different than Yorck.  Their decent armor scheme allows them to stay with the 2nd line while angled and not take a ton of damage.  Their accurate guns at range also promote this play style.  Adjusting the throttle and holding fire to go dark work very well with the ranges these ships fight at.

Edited by real_icebeast

[TBW]
Members
7,890 posts
14,400 battles

German cruisers must be pretty good, I barely remember that I ground to the Hindy.

[CRMSN]
Members
8,343 posts
8,913 battles

It's not that Yorck is "bad", it's that all the other cruisers are sooooo much better in the KM cruiser line. It's also more about how different she is from the others, and how massively different she is from Nurnberg.

[CRMSN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,953 posts
4,318 battles
26 minutes ago, Happy668 said:

They dont have the same weight muzzle speed if i remember correctly. 

The AP fly's slower vs HE. 

[LHG]
Members
1,604 posts
6,452 battles
27 minutes ago, Happy668 said:

Yorck AP is only good out to 10km. The muzzle velocity is high, but the shells lose a lot of speed over distance. HE does this too, but it doesn't rely on velocity to pen so it's not as noticeable.

Akizuki guns behave like this, except more extreme.

Members
23,178 posts
5,841 battles
42 minutes ago, Happy668 said:

i agree Yorck's shells fly really high, take forever to land, the AP is worse than HE somehow (even though they have the same muzzle speed), can't get AP to work, so i mostly stick to HE...

I think the AP shells are heavier or something.

The AP works quite well, but you basically only want to use it 7nder 10km.

[WOLF2]
Members
250 posts
5,398 battles
5 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

I think the AP shells are heavier or something.

The AP works quite well, but you basically only want to use it 7nder 10km.

Yorck AP shells are 108 kg and her HE  shells are 113.5 kg.  Not a huge difference but enough to make her AP shells lose more velocity at range compared to her HE.

Edit:  By comparison, Hipper and her successors all have 122kg shells which are slightly smaller caliber, maintaining velocity better over distance.

Edited by real_icebeast

[WOLF1]
Members
2,652 posts
47 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

German cruisers must be pretty good, I barely remember that I ground to the Hindy.

I felt the same way about Russian cruisers, I really like them

Members
23,178 posts
5,841 battles
16 minutes ago, real_icebeast said:

Yorck AP shells are 108 kg and her HE  shells are 113.5 kg.  Not a huge difference but enough to make her AP shells lose more velocity at range compared to her HE.

Edit:  By comparison, Hipper and her successors all have 122kg shells which are slightly smaller caliber, maintaining velocity better over distance.

Lol I said the AP was heavier, didn't I? Meant the HE was heavier.

[BNKR]
Members
486 posts
3,107 battles

I'm glad someone is doing well in it, because I just cannot get it to work.

The shells are floaty, the accuracy is garbage, the guns take a year to traverse, you get citadelled from any angle, the AP sucks unless right on top of them...

I can't find a single redeeming quality and am tempted to free xp though it.

:Smile_sad:

[WOLF1]
Members
2,652 posts
1 hour ago, MajorEnglush said:

I'm glad someone is doing well in it, because I just cannot get it to work.

The shells are floaty, the accuracy is garbage, the guns take a year to traverse, you get citadelled from any angle, the AP sucks unless right on top of them...

I can't find a single redeeming quality and am tempted to free xp though it.

:Smile_sad:

it's quite agile and turns quickly, you need to wasd to avoid getting hit, not angle tanking, use HE to set fires, keep distance don't get close, i don't recommend free xp it, when you get to hipper, it has its own problems :D

see my average potential damage is 648k, max was 2.3million, it can "tank" when played well, I have many games last ship standing and they just can't kill me lol

Edited by Happy668

[KRAB]
Members
828 posts
7,291 battles

The key to the Yorck is the effective HE DPM - a combination of firing range, the 1/4 pen and rather high alpha strike. The AP is also devastating in close, significantly outperforming all other tier 7 CA shells under 8KM and 45 degrees of angle. 

Members
480 posts
7,755 battles

I also dig the Yorck and believe it is somewhat underrated, it just plays a bit differently than the ships before and after.

A couple of keys:

1)I find it significantly tankier than predecessors Nurnburg and Konigsberg. Those ships are good but are floating citadels, while the Yorck can take more punishment, push closer to the action, and is sturdy and agile enough to brawl a little bit. It can still kite and snipe but it has more map flexibility than previous ships.

2)German cruisers in general have excellent AP and players get used to relying on it, but Yorck AP does not perform very well at range. Stick with HE for most encounters, slap DE on your captain and +fire signals on your ship, and use that 1/4 HE pen while burning ships to the waterline. Save AP for close range broadsides only.

Edited by Dr_Powderfinger

[DRB]
[DRB]
Beta Testers
915 posts
5,530 battles

The York I really struggled with. I just finished it with a 35% winrate so I played it completely wrong. Nurnberg I managed a 52% winrate but I just couldn't make the York's guns work for me.

[WOLFB]
Members
303 posts
6,269 battles

In my case i utterly DESPISE the Yorck, not a bad ship but it never clicked with me.

Here's how i did with it compared to mostly pre-buff Hipper (i haven't played Hipper much lately so most of my games in it are pre-buff).

I did occasionally get good games with Yorck but i found Hipper to be much more consistent overall. That's just me though. :/

Capture.thumb.PNG.ee606cb65b19e8fadabbac074ec8c14b.PNG

[WOLF1]
Members
2,652 posts
2 hours ago, Mainerd said:

The York I really struggled with. I just finished it with a 35% winrate so I played it completely wrong. Nurnberg I managed a 52% winrate but I just couldn't make the York's guns work for me.

Yorck's guns are nothing to brag about, even at 53k that's pretty low compares to my other better CAs results

just have to keep hitting, i shoot everything in sight, so concealment doesn't fit my play style lol

Members
553 posts
6,698 battles

I recently purchased Yorck and am still grinding the modules.  And in typical WG fashion, I keep getting "score 3 citadel hits" as the GoNavy mission when driving Yorck.   I have not achieved said mission yet.   :Smile_facepalm:

Sign in to follow this