Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
DerKrampus

USS Ling vandalized, flooded, memorial plaques stolen

13 comments in this topic

[-VT3-]
Members
1,853 posts
3,584 battles

Yes, I know it's a submarine thread.

Link to news article

Vandals cut their way aboard the USS Ling with bolt cutters, opened a number of underwater hatches to flood the boat, and stole four bronze plaques that commemorate the 3000 naval officers killed in the USN sub service.

I've visited the Ling.  It's a very small museum alongside a canal and doesn't get much exposure, which makes this even more tragic.  :(

Uss Ling Gofundme

Edited by DerKrampus
Added gofundme link

[O_O]
Members
804 posts
5,376 battles

Not sure what's more disgusting; that this vandalism happened, or that the museum was being "evicted from the site due to a nearby development project."

We can't have the residents of the $3 million McManors see a dirty old submarine out their cathedral-ceiling'd bedroom windows every morning, could we?

-R

[WOLF2]
Members
3,451 posts
15,086 battles
6 minutes ago, Mister_Rawr said:

Not sure what's more disgusting; that this vandalism happened, or that the museum was being "evicted from the site due to a nearby development project."

We can't have the residents of the $3 million McManors see a dirty old submarine out their cathedral-ceiling'd bedroom windows every morning, could we?

-R

So where would they move it to? I hope the developers paid to move it to a better location and restore it.

Very bad karma to tread on the dead

Edited by Commander_367

[-VT3-]
Members
1,853 posts
3,584 battles
2 minutes ago, Commander_367 said:

So where would they move it to? I hope the developers paid to move it to a better location and restore it.

I don't recall the area being very high end.  Last I'd heard, the sub was going to change hands due to a lack of funding for maintenence.  The article I linked was the first mention of a development I'd heard about.

[REEF]
Beta Testers
855 posts
9,460 battles

I hope they catch them and then make them work on that submarine until it's able to reopen to the public!  Then hang them from the highest yard arm!!!  :Smile-angry:

• Angry 1

[O_O]
Members
804 posts
5,376 battles
1 hour ago, Commander_367 said:

They don't have anywhere to move it to, the developers paid the museum nothing.  Just bought the property from whoever had the original deed, the city of Hackensack if I don't miss my guess.  It would surprise me very little to learn the developer's cousin's nephew's brother-in-law happened to be a council member.

1 hour ago, DerKrampus said:

I don't recall the area being very high end.

I don't know.  The developers bill their 20-acre "mixed use development" as a luxury community of 600-units... which invalidates my earlier number of $3 million.  They'll probably be looking for around $750k, give-or-take.  I can't find any listings in a very brief search.

-R

[edit]

I missed my guess.  It was the newspaper they bought on the same site, turned it in to an online-only rag and will be demolishing the old building this month.  Not fishy at all.  Unfortunately, just from looking at photos of the old boat from the past several years she is not in any way, shape or form seaworthy and at this point is pretty much just a hazard to navigation.

:Smile_sad:

[/edit]

Edited by Mister_Rawr

Members
121 posts
9,327 battles

I visited it once back when I was a boy scout.  Was very interesting for an 11-12 y.o.  But heard it has really been deteriorating without any place to take her (or that will take her).  Probably end up as scrap or a rust heap.  :Smile_sad:

• Cool 1

[-VT3-]
Members
1,853 posts
3,584 battles
27 minutes ago, Mister_Rawr said:

They don't have anywhere to move it to, the developers paid the museum nothing.  Just bought the property from whoever had the original deed, the city of Hackensack if I don't miss my guess.  It would surprise me very little to learn the developer's cousin's nephew's brother-in-law happened to be a council member.

I don't know.  The developers bill their 20-acre "mixed use development" as a luxury community of 600-units... which invalidates my earlier number of $3 million.  They'll probably be looking for around $750k, give-or-take.  I can't find any listings in a very brief search.

-R

A lot may have changed in the intervening two decades since my visit.

I do know that the museum was renting the property from a neighboring newspaper for a dollar a year.  The newspaper sold off its property or something, and most of the land based portion of the museum was donated elsewhere.

As for the sub, the land owner, city and navy all claim they're not responsible.  Only good thing is that undredged mud had already beached her, so the flood didn't cause her to sink.

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
5,956 posts
4,692 battles

That really does suck.

That being said, the Ling herself really didn't do much - too late for WW2, but too old for anything else other than a training ship.  According to Wikipedia, she was launched and promptly sent to inactivation in the reserve fleet in the late 1940s - a depressing fate to be sure.

I think she'll be probably scrapped.  If she has artifacts from other subs, they'll hopefully be transferred to other museum sites like the Bowfin in Hawaii.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
376 posts
7,245 battles

disgusting way to treat memorial to my brother submariners

Sign in to follow this