Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
_Marines

Is the British battleship Orion viable for a secondary build?

Is Orion viable for secondary build?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Is Orion viable for secondary build?

• Yes, Orion can have an effective secondary build
    • No, Orion's secondaries are too weak for it
    • I don't have Orion

18 comments in this topic

[DOW]
Members
672 posts
3,932 battles

It does look like she has some potent secondaries. 12x 102mm guns each side, but base range is only 3.5km though.

1.png

2.png

Members
1,205 posts
3,161 battles

Not at all, especially since none of the British battleships get enough value out of secondary builds to justify training a secondary focused commander as opposed to a survivability/artillery build commander. 

Members
300 posts
6,341 battles

Well Orion's secondary guns are useful at close range and really only pack a punch in Hull A. The short range on the secondary's is the biggest drawback.... So if you are in a slugging match at 5km or less, they work great.

[DOW]
Members
672 posts
3,932 battles

Range does feel too short. At ~4km when secondaries engage, I'm facing ~8km torpedo DDs.

[WORX]
Members
4,229 posts
15,313 battles

if you want to face charging DDs trying to put holes in your hull its a viable option however, its not practical because your duty is to sink cruisers. Now I know, sometimes teams don;t play the objective. Although its fees-able, its not a practical option IMO

[NLIST]
[NLIST]
Beta Testers
1,345 posts
13,061 battles

The Arkansas Beta ( if you own it ) is worthy of a secondary build as far as aft/bft goes.  Maybe the Konig Albert at tier 3 as well.  The Orion has such strong HE with tier 9 level shell damage and 1/4 pen - I wouldn't risk closing into brawling range with anyone.  You will be most effective at 6-10 km, far out of the range of any secondary build  you could come up with.

[FAE]
Members
2,350 posts
2,886 battles

If you were to have a dedicated 19 pt cap for only Orion and Nelson (maaaaybe warspite), what would you pick? 

Zombie? its boring but effective. 

Nelson doesn't really need secondaries does it? 

Also, I'd argue that in the annoying games your team doesn't do anything, DDs and planes commonly get into 4.2-4.4km range for secondaries. Yes, your main battery can kill them, but if you're 1v3 and a dd pops up at a bad angle, you really do want your secondaries to kill them while you kite out their torps. 

I'm not set on fire enough to want fire prevention. nor do I really care much about CE at this tier. Superintendent is the loss, but again rarely do I get into the game where I use the 5th heal. 

[HUNGS]
Members
1,680 posts
3,603 battles

Any ship below tier 7 isn't viable since manual secondaries isn't very effective. All your doing is providing a fireworks show otherwise 

[AR15]
Supertester
2,589 posts
8,740 battles

Nothing under T7 is viable for secondary build. Not even Mikasa, but you do it anyways because memes

[SDIWO]
Members
1,186 posts
6,082 battles
12 hours ago, BiggieD61 said:

The Arkansas Beta ( if you own it ) is worthy of a secondary build as far as aft/bft goes.  Maybe the Konig Albert at tier 3 as well.  The Orion has such strong HE with tier 9 level shell damage and 1/4 pen - I wouldn't risk closing into brawling range with anyone.  You will be most effective at 6-10 km, far out of the range of any secondary build  you could come up with.

I bring my 19 pt German secondary captain in the Konig occasionally and it's not bad. But it is more of a messing around thing, not using it because it's the best choice.

Members
23,173 posts
5,841 battles
42 minutes ago, LubzinNJ said:

I bring my 19 pt German secondary captain in the Konig occasionally and it's not bad. But it is more of a messing around thing, not using it because it's the best choice.

Bayern works ok too. I pulled my (almost) 19-pt captain out of Bismarck, because I can pull comparable XP in Bayern, with more consistently enjoyable games.

I'm even considering respeccing to get AFT. 9.4km range was fine for Bismarck, but I want to pull Bayern up to 7.6km from 6.3km

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Beta Testers
5,071 posts
1,501 battles
13 hours ago, _Marines said:

It does look like she has some potent secondaries. 12x 102mm guns each side, but base range is only 3.5km though.

1.png

2.png

Is it T7+: No

Is it Arkansas Beta: No.

Answer: No

Even if it was T7+ the answer would be "Depends". But below T7 secondary builds aren't worth it unless (as an example), your using a captain from a higher tier premium in a lower tier shiip, in that case, why not but it's not optimal.

[DOW]
Members
672 posts
3,932 battles
1 hour ago, Carl said:

Is it T7+: No

Is it Arkansas Beta: No.

Answer: No

Even if it was T7+ the answer would be "Depends". But below T7 secondary builds aren't worth it unless (as an example), your using a captain from a higher tier premium in a lower tier shiip, in that case, why not but it's not optimal.

Speaking for Tier 7 itself, between Gneisenau and Scharnhorst (and Neison too?), which is the better ship for secondary build?

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Beta Testers
5,071 posts
1,501 battles

Gneisenau hands down, Nelson is very meh for a secondary build. Scharnhorst is pretty decent but not as good as her sister. 

[BROOK]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,909 posts

The only UK BB worth speccing Secondary into is the Warspite.

[B-W-M]
[B-W-M]
Members
469 posts
5,418 battles
7 hours ago, Show_Me_Your_Cits said:

Nothing under T7 is viable for secondary build. Not even Mikasa, but you do it anyways because memes

Mikasa's mains aren't suitable for Tier III, so specializing her secondaries at least gives you better hits over time than those 4 turtle shooters can do.

Sign in to follow this