Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
GrandAdmiral_2016

Boise and Nueve De Julio

12 comments in this topic

[HELLS]
Members
2,229 posts
20,971 battles

OK, it took me 36 Random games (17 wins, 19 losses) and 119 Co-op games in Boise to get Nueve De Julio. These ships are essentially identical twins. I am not impressed by either ship, for two reasons:

1-The Brooklyn class 6-inch guns were capable of a round every 6 seconds. Both of these ships fire a round every 10 seconds in game. While they hit hard, you must expose yourself to get maximum benefit from 15 barrels due to the poor arcs, a negative tradoff. WG, can we split the difference at 8 seconds for reload? We are not asking for the OP setup of Belfast, just something a bit more reasonable for a T7 Premium cruiser.  If you have to play a USN T7 CL, Helena, with her longer gun range and despite her lower hit point pool and lack of heal, is a better bet that either of these Premiums, especially with a captain that has the SE skill.

2-Rudder shift is so slow that neither ship can get out of the way, even with the rudder shift upgrade. This is crippling given her low speed. The fact that both ships have a heal does not offset the slow ROF, slow speed and slow rudder shift. Putting the SM signal up does not buy you enough of a speed boost to be useful like it does in Helena.

To get any decent use of these two ships, they must be played as support cruisers, firing as much as possible from behind cover and not overextending early to support their own team's DDs because they cannot get out of trouble by wiggling and running. They can rack up the damage points in a winning endgame once your side has  a numerical advantage, but you won't be carrying your side very often in these ships. I finished top of team 3 times in 36 games (two wins and one loss-potato-itis has no favorites), and managed only 3 hero awards (Dreadnoughts), a couple of First Bloods, one Devastating Strike and one Double Strike.

Both ships are disappointing, and I am left with a bad aftertaste and a lighter wallet. They were the lead-in to Cleveland, a ship that I do decently in regardless of where it is tiered, with the same guns. You can do better than this, WG, really....

• Cool 1

[HELLS]
Members
2,229 posts
20,971 battles
12 minutes ago, mohawkdriver said:

All reasons why I didn't buy either.

I'm a collector and was disappointed when they put a paper ship like Dallas at T6 instead of a Brooklyn, which is the only reason I bought Boise during the sale promotion week. Without the heal and with Helena's hit point pool, they would have been OK as tech tree T6s. You cannot reason with WG, they think in Russian. Dallas was the USN's 1st design take on a 1930 London Treaty light cruiser until they heard that Mogami was being built with 15 6-inch barrels in 5 triple turrets. Brooklyn was the design answer. And note that in the game, Mogami is a T8! Don't ask why!!

• Cool 1

[NO]
Members
369 posts
14,548 battles
18 minutes ago, GrandAdmiral_2016 said:

I'm a collector and was disappointed when they put a paper ship like Dallas at T6 instead of a Brooklyn, which is the only reason I bought Boise during the sale promotion week. Without the heal and with Helena's hit point pool, they would have been OK as tech tree T6s. You cannot reason with WG, they think in Russian. Dallas was the USN's 1st design take on a 1930 London Treaty light cruiser until they heard that Mogami was being built with 15 6-inch barrels in 5 triple turrets. Brooklyn was the design answer. And note that in the game, Mogami is a T8! Don't ask why!!

Mogami being T8 is a legacy of not only stealth fire but back when aft/bft affected 155. Mogami originally was actually T7 with Myoko being T8. Mogami was changed to T8 when it was realized how much more powerful having so many 155s were. This is why Myoko has a stronger then normal armor for a T7 (her bow can actually bounce bbs which was a characteristic usually T8 CAs have before the introduction of Russian cruisers. Mogami is just left at tier 8 because it is easier and she has been balanced to fit T8 better

[NAUT]
Beta Testers
941 posts
7,178 battles

Took me 17 wins 18 losses to get Boise! (I was flying  flags and such to make it quicker so skipped all those coop games!) But I loved my Julio. I dunno why.... I just had really good games in it in general. It started SOOO many fires! Then I switched to IFHE when I had the points.. I'm not convinced it's better for that ship despite what everyone says about 6" guns and their armor pen. 

[TBW]
Members
7,895 posts
14,415 battles

I bought her for Operations, where she shines like the sun. Just a few more battles and I will have the Boise also.

shot-18_08.13_22_47.34-0835.thumb.jpg.2efb69e883da32a6f7c433f20dc657be.jpg

shot-18_08.13_23_08.13-0708.thumb.jpg.0784d432cd8b12a2e47c5a4f3c606d6e.jpg

I can't wait to have them both and see how they do with credit camo and signals instead of XP, Captain and Free XP signals. I love this ship.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[IROCZ]
[IROCZ]
Members
4,467 posts
12,609 battles
13 hours ago, GrandAdmiral_2016 said:

I absolutely agree with your assessment of WG.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,519 posts
12,810 battles

I was originally kind of 'meh' on the Boise/NdJ.  Getting used to her has really brought me around, she's now one of my favorite cruisers to play.

Members
64 posts
7,820 battles

My first round in Coop, love this bote, luv it more than the Atlanta I used to have, don't mind playing support with a ship that does consistent damage with every salvo of IFHE

Won it for $2 in a Santa Box

1.jpg

Edited by LTGSERIALBUTCHER

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,519 posts
12,810 battles

The battleships on my team tried to break my back, but I was able to heal.  Not bad for a bottom tier cruiser with no range.

shot-19.05.08_23.06.34-0534.jpg

shot-19.05.08_23.06.47-0463.jpg

Sign in to follow this