Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Reymu

Fr BB secondary or no?

7 comments in this topic

[NG-NL]
Members
5,109 posts
8,510 battles

Still working on Lyon on and off, just 46K from the Richelieu. Noticed before other French BBs running secondary builds and remember how well protected their citadels are, as well as the effectiveness of their secondaries.

Know from FDG that the T8-10 campfest makes secondary builds generally worthless. My Jean-Jacque (Special Commander, bonus to AR and EM) is at 12 points w/ PT/EM/ER/SI/CE. Checking the base concealment on T8-10 it's clear concealment build is a must for FR BBs, and with 30 knots they're meant more for positioning rather than bulldozing the opposition.

So secondary build worthless? Thinking it'd be more prudent to get FP and BoS and be a pain in the neck to kill.

[FF]
Members
160 posts
6,393 battles

Secondary builds are definitely worth for upper level french bb. They're good for burning down dd's like the t-61.

[B2P]
Members
523 posts
14,285 battles

I did not go with a full-on secondaries build for my french BBs.  I noticed at the higher tiers I was losing a lot of secondaries in battle with them.  They seem to be more fragile than the german secondaries.  So I went with stealth over manual secondaries, and main gun dispersion boost over secondaries boost.  I am happy with them that way.

[L-H]
Members
77 posts
8,121 battles

I have full secondary on the French tier 9 and 10. Even though they break easier than than German ones. I’ve had at least 40 games combined  in them with a few hundred secondary hits. I would defiantly invest in them if you like closer range combat.

[SPTR]
Members
25,997 posts
11,469 battles

General its something to think long and hard about while the performance of the secondaries are definitely something to not look down upon on french BBs with the Republique's one outperforming those on the GK... 

Along with French BB armor which is allergic to HE spam meaning you are a bigger easier target as you get close to use you 2ndaries, I find that their secondaries just get destroyed more easier than those on BB's of other nations. 

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,913 posts
15,363 battles

To Secondary Spec or not to Secondary Spec a French BB?

IMO, the only true Secondary Spec Candidates in this BB Line are IX Alsace and X Republique.

Below Tier VIII, their armor is pretty suspect and it offsets the decent secondaries range they got.  Lyon has pretty decent Secondaries on her, but considering how soft she is to punish, I felt that would be a stupid idea to build her for considering the BBs she faces in Tier VII:  Colorado & Nagato with 406mm/410mm guns to LOLPEN and punish Lyon.  Scharnhorst, Gneisenau will eat Lyon alive in a brawl.  I really liked Lyon but I did her in a AA Spec.

At Tier VIII Richelieu, you actually got pretty darn good Secondaries range.  However, the major problem and huge disappointment I had in Sec.Spec'ing Richy was that the guns don't fire fast enough, they are 100mm (which struggle to penetrate), and the volume of fire is pathetic.  This was with BFT could not help the rate of fire, volume of fire problems.  So IMO, Richelieu is best setup as either AA or Main Battery / Survival Spec.  After quickly abandoning Secondary Spec on Richelieu, I did AA spec for her and never looked back.

Only at IX Alsace and X Republique are very valid Secondary Spec candidates.  But with some caveats.

+ Both are IX-X ships and Secondary Builds, though viable in their tiers, are a bit more problematic to apply compared to Bismarck slapping around New Mexicos.  But you already know this, Reymu.

+ Alsace has a good Secondaries Battery.  LOTS of guns, very fast firing, they can be good fire starters.  However, the heart of the Secondaries Battery are the French 100mm guns.  Against Cruisers and Destroyers they're fine, but against High Tier BBs, they struggle to do penetration damage.  Non-IJN 100mm cannot penetrate the superstructures of High Tier BBs without IFHE.  I have run into numerous occasions where I'd have a good brawl with another high tier BB and my 100mm guns will get hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of hits but do less than 1000 damage.  If fires aren't being set, which does happen because fires are RNG like almost everything else in this game, your Secondaries will then be useless.  WITH IFHE, the Secondaries cut through everything.  The speed of Alsace's 100mm guns combined with the large gun count, it's a steady, fast stream of HE shell hits AND fires.  The caveat is that implementing an IFHE Secondaries Build is one of the most expensive types of builds possible in WoWS.  This makes an ultra expensive Manual AA Build look cheap in comparison.

+ Republique sports tons of 127mm guns to go with her 152s.  You don't need to dance with the IFHE silliness and you can tell IFHE to go f--k itself.  Very good, solid Secondaries Build candidate.  However, some prefer ASM1 & MBM3 with Republique, which does sound fine though I haven't done that build myself.

Are the French Secondaries turrets fragile?  They hold up just fine with AAM1 installed.  No better or worse than their peers.

Edit:  Found a Screenshot when I did a normal, non-IFHE Secondaries Build with Alsace.  This was what finally made me try IFHE with her.

cPwEmxf.jpg

275 Secondary Shell Hits for 726 damage.  I was very reliant on fires to do damage on Missouri.  If RNG flips you off and doesn't give you the fires you desperately need, you're f--ked.  But again, an IFHE Secondaries Build is super-expensive to implement and cuts off a lot of other options.  My Alsace build had to give up CE for this and at times it gets very uncomfortable playing with supersh*t concealment.

Edit AGAIN:  A compromise I did with IFHE Secondaries Alsace was to use both DCSM1 & 2 upgrades.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Sign in to follow this